daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2016, 05:41 PM   #21
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6853

Shadowing is an unacceptable excuse in a city of San Francisco's density, as is climate. San Francisco's problem stems from an overly complex, litigious, expensive and corruptible planning and review process that allows for too much public and community input along with restrictive zoning and land use laws that are also made even more restrictive through ballot propositions and, again, too much input from vested anti-development interests.

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:31 AM   #22
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Shadowing is an unacceptable excuse in a city of San Francisco's density, as is climate. San Francisco's problem stems from an overly complex, litigious, expensive and corruptible planning and review process that allows for too much public and community input along with restrictive zoning and land use laws that are also made even more restrictive through ballot propositions and, again, too much input from vested anti-development interests.
You sound like a literal fascist. Community input is what makes San Francisco the incredibly innovative and beautiful city that it is. Your arrogance is truly disgusting... That is what I would think if I disagreed with you and I were a nimby. However, I agree with your sentiment.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #23
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I simply cannot help but laugh any time I hear a Californian or San Franciscan blame SF's weather for the lack of skyscrapers. Because NY and Chicago are known for their placid, Mediterranean climates....

The lack of tall buildings throughout California is mostly attributable to the same things there as it is all throughout the U.S.: suburbanization and auto dependency, NIMBYism and other vested interests, and often-arcane regulations regarding building height, zoning, and things like FAR. The only thing unique to CA is earthquakes.
Agreed on all counts.

People who seriously consider shadows, clouds, and lack of sunlight to be so bad in SF that they necessitate shorter buildings, are being kind of goofy, and aren't really looking at the city's weather objectively. SF is actually pretty mild most of the year, rarely freezes, doesn't get much rain/cloud cover compared to most of America, and actually gets a lot of sunshine (more than most of america, europe, canada, etc). True, SF gets fog and wind (mostly in the summer, mostly in the mornings and evenings, and mostly in the western half of the city), and true that SF's summers don't see the nonstop hot weather you get in most of the rest of the nation (that's because our summer is fog season, and our "real summer" usually comes in the fall and isn't all that long), but that doesn't make it a cold city that's devoid of sunlight, unless you're comparing it to a desert climate or the tropics or something (which would be warmer, but not sunnier than SF, seeing as the tropics get way more rain). Bad weather? A funny accusation for a city that has a mediterranean climate and is full of microclimates on top of that. It can be 55 and foggy at the beach, and just a few miles away on the east side of the city-proper it's 75 and sunny, while another dozen miles inland it's 90 degrees. It's also the kind of city where you can get a heatwave in January while half the rest of the world is literally frozen.

lol sorry about the SF weather rant. Can't wait for this tower to finally rise.
techniques1200s está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
706 mission st., mexican museum, san francisco, union square