daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #341
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
The vast majority of reconstruction supporters in Germany are 35 and under.( I am 35 ) Several studies show the biggest fans with 85% support are 18 Years old. The reason for the party is this "kind" of old is simple:
Young people do not have the money for buying here, therefore little involvement. Second, the event took place during work and school hours during week. Younger people are at work or and have little children.
This is, at least to me, amazing and heartening. What has motivated 18 year olds to be interested in the rebuilding missions?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #342
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
This is, at least to me, amazing and heartening. What has motivated 18 year olds to be interested in the rebuilding missions?
Maybe its the influence of Harry Potter and other similar films where the fictional architecture often resembles the old styles in Germany.
william of waco está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #343
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

I'd suspect it's thanks to the internet. The web generation (now 40 or younger) knows how to google and they look up their cities. They'll see dozens of pictures of the old cityscapes throughout Germany, also thanks to the SSC and Stadtbild community sharing their knowledge with Wikipedia. We now also have various 3D models of gone cityscapes. Just a generation before, only architecture and history nerds (like us) knew about what was gone at large.

Also it's much easier to campaign for reconstructions these days with help of the web and more recent large projects like the Frauenkirche, Potsdam and Berlin City palaces, Dom-Römer Frankfurt, etc.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man, keepthepast liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #344
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I'd suspect it's thanks to the internet. The web generation (now 40 or younger) knows how to google and they look up their cities. They'll see dozens of pictures of the old cityscapes throughout Germany, also thanks to the SSC and Stadtbild community sharing their knowledge with Wikipedia. We now also have various 3D models of gone cityscapes. Just a generation before, only architecture and history nerds (like us) knew about what was gone at large.

Also it's much easier to campaign for reconstructions these days with help of the web and more recent large projects like the Frauenkirche, Potsdam and Berlin City palaces, Dom-Römer Frankfurt, etc.
Well, I'm fairly young, and you all know how much I love reconstructions around Europe and the world. Also, my friends that aren't interested in architecture don't have anything particular against reconstructions, they don't view it as kitsch or anything like that. I would say that most people just don't care that much about architecture in general, they'll notice it only when it's something to be loved or hated. Historical architecture is generally better received than modern stuff (my sister says she likes Skopje 2014, I haven't talked to her since that day ), so that's probably an important factor when it comes to support of reconstruction, especially in severely destroyed cities.

Unfortunately, I think that reconstruction is still connected to political conservatism (backlash against Garnisonkirche), a factor that is maybe turning some young, progressive people away, so I hope that will change, as I myself (even though I may be a young progressive) only see reconstruction as a way to promote art, culture and uniqueness of a particular region or a country. Architecture should be independent of politics.

keepthepast, erbse, Tolbert liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 12:07 AM   #345
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

I find one thing quite fascinating. Romerberg, as it was reconstructed in the post-war era and as it stands today, is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful and picturesque town squares in Europe (mainly due to Romer and the half-timbered buildings on the East side, of course). One can only imagine how beautiful Frankfurt must have been, given how lovely this partially reconstructed square looks nowadays.

Speaking of which, are there any other reconstruction plans for the old town in the city? Looking at Romerberg now and at how it looked like before the war, I feel that it would not be too much of a pain to torn down the modernist stuff in the square and rebuild masterpieces such as Haus Lichtenstein, Haus Frauenstein or Salzhaus...
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:59 AM   #346
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Well, regarding the timbered old town houses, of which Frankfurt had around 2.000 until 1944/45 - only a single one survived the aerial/fire bombings of the US/UK without greater damage. It's Haus Werheym.
That's quite shocking. However, in the Trümmermodell there are several facades still standing. Were those saved?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 06:09 PM   #347
wakka12

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormadness View Post
I find one thing quite fascinating. Romerberg, as it was reconstructed in the post-war era and as it stands today, is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful and picturesque town squares in Europe (mainly due to Romer and the half-timbered buildings on the East side, of course). One can only imagine how beautiful Frankfurt must have been, given how lovely this partially reconstructed square looks nowadays.

Speaking of which, are there any other reconstruction plans for the old town in the city? Looking at Romerberg now and at how it looked like before the war, I feel that it would not be too much of a pain to torn down the modernist stuff in the square and rebuild masterpieces such as Haus Lichtenstein, Haus Frauenstein or Salzhaus...
I would say its likely some time in the future. This altstadt reconstruction WILL be well received by the public when its completed, as the average person simply loves old styles of architecture far more than modern architecture. I think a lot of people will realise this after this project is complete and further reconstruction would receive a lot of support very easily
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:20 PM   #348
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
That's quite shocking. However, in the Trümmermodell there are several facades still standing. Were those saved?
Not sure if the ones you are seeing were saved, but "facades still standing" did not mean undamaged and unable to be used. The structural damage from heat and explosion concussions may have left some building aspects unpulverized, but they were generally too structurally unsound to be saved or used.

The Eagle liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:28 PM   #349
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 351

One should not forget that the Trümmermodell is exaggerating a bit, as it was used as an excuse by politicians for not reconstructing more parts of the old town. Some of the facades that survived and can be seen in the model were torn down, while others are still standing today or have been reconstructed. The old town and some parts of the urban quarters surrounding it, was Frankfurt's heaviest loss in WWII. Outside the old town many timber framed buildings survived (especially in Höchst, Sachsenhausen and the former villages that have been independent before the 19th century), even in some parts of the Neustadt (today officially called 'Innenstadt') you can still see some timber framed buildings in some streets near Konstablerwache or Goetheplatz. The oldest timber framed building of the city also survived, it's Schellgasse 8 in Sachsenhausen dating back to the 13th century.

Mr Bricks, erbse liked this post
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #350
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Interesting. Can you give any examples of buildings that survived?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #351
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3217

I found another picture of the old "old town":

source
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #352
emperormadness

These aerial views illustrate pretty well just how much was lost during the war...I believe there is another one out there on the internet, similar to this view, but from a slightly different angle.

By the way, does anyone know where I could find more pictures from the Virtual Model of the Altstadt that was made some years ago? The website of the project does not work anymore, and I was only able to find a few pictures on Wikipedia.
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #353
Skyline.Fan
Supertalls 4 Frankfurt

Likes (Received): 294

Simply a World Heritage Site ...

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Frankfurt - Germany's ultimate skyline
Skyline.Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #354
emperormadness

^That's right, I feel that Frankfurt would have deserved a UNESCO World Heritage site designation had it survived the war...In fact this is quite an interesting question to ask, in a different thread, of course: which German cities lost during WW2 might have become World Heritage cities.
Old February 7th, 2017, 03:35 PM   #355
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Definitely Dresden and Nuremberg, among others. Maybe even Munich.
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #356
erbse
LIBERTINED

Frankfurt's old town would have been a safe bet for World Heritage, if it remained largely intact. That's for sure. It was more amazing than any other timbered old town - the only "large" cities in Central Europe where you can get a glimpse of such a feeling nowadays are probably Strasbourg and Erfurt.

Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by il fenomeno View Post
goldene waage

braubachstrasse

sehr komische überblendung mit dieser steinmauer

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...348259&page=28

Old March 16th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #357
erbse
LIBERTINED

Lovely impressions of the stucco ceiling for the "Goldene Waage" that is currently created in Saxony:

Source - http://www.domroemer.de/news/praecht...he-von-dresden

Old March 24th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #358
erbse
LIBERTINED

Dom-Römer old town quarter in the lower right corner:

20170313-ffm.dom.032017 139 by frank wolf, auf Flickr

A spectacular cityscape combining centuries of history, innit?

Old April 7th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #359
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3484

Braubachstrasse

They rebuild with original stones the old city wall here. Still looks awkward.

source Heimdall

erbse, Titan Man, UnHavrais liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #360
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ It looks awkward indeed. But I'm glad they did it like this. Because it used to be like this and it leaves you curious. This kind of stuff is what makes grown old towns so mezmerizing and exciting.

Mruczek liked this post

Tags
frankfurt, old town, reconstruction