daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #401
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57911

A current drone flight (one week ago) over the DomR÷mer project area at the old town heart of Frankfurt - it's amazing!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #402
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Are all those roof tops incomplete and covered in gray insulation paper? Or are they finished in gray slate?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #403
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Are all those roof tops incomplete and covered in gray insulation paper? Or are they finished in gray slate?
actually most of them are finished in grey slate! But some of the roofs are still not finished.
Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #404
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

Nice movie. I must say that the modern buildings look quite good within the ensemble. Also the drone video really shows how the area is still surrounded by a lot of, if not ugliness then at least misplaced buildings. Still, a great start - I hope .

emperormadness, Shenkey liked this post
Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #405
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

My impression as well^ The modern interpretations fit so well with the reconstructions
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #406
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 354

The modern buildings that can be seen already are the best that where planned for the area. But unfortunately there are 3-4 really ugly modern facades awaiting us the next months (Markt 30-34/34 and Markt 7). This might change your view a bit.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:00 PM   #407
erbse
LIBERTINED

Maybe even those ones will turn out better than expected though... All we can do now is wait and see, anyway.

Old June 20th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #408
emperormadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
The modern buildings that can be seen already are the best that where planned for the area. But unfortunately there are 3-4 really ugly modern facades awaiting us the next months (Markt 30-34/34 and Markt 7). This might change your view a bit.
Fair enough; of those mentioned by you, I expect Markt 7 to turn out the worst primarily because it's right next to Goldene Waage, which is/will be a gem.

qjone2 liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:27 AM   #409
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

At least a lot of the modern reconstructions could quite easily be restored to their original, historical facades in the future, if need be.

Markt 7, for example, could probably be done.

Some others, maybe a bit more difficult:

Source: Frankfurter Altstadt retten

Some of these designs might have been modified since these images were published, but the point still stands and the plots remain the same.

I think it would be financially wise, really, because nice historic buildings usually catch the eye and thus draw people to the business. What strikes me when I visit Europe is that some of the nicest buildings (in the centre at least) are often occupied by McDonalds and the like I suppose that's probably because they can afford to set up in such beautiful places, but I have no doubt there's some more calculated thinking going on
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:25 AM   #410
emperormadness

Thanks for those graphic renderings, they are really interesting! I was looking on the website of Frankfurter Altstadt retten, but as I can't read German and google translate is only of limited use I could not really tell what it is about. Is there a civic push to replace the modernist designs with the historical ones for these 4 buildings?

qjone2 liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:17 PM   #411
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormadness View Post
Thanks for those graphic renderings, they are really interesting! I was looking on the website of Frankfurter Altstadt retten, but as I can't read German and google translate is only of limited use I could not really tell what it is about. Is there a civic push to replace the modernist designs with the historical ones for these 4 buildings?
I think these renderings are old, and merely demonstrated how simple it would've been (and could still be) to make the planned modern buildings historical, given the general outline of the structures is often still the same.

As far as I know, there is no push to have the modern facades corrected, as they've only just been built. After all, if there was a desire, I suppose they would have been constructed historically to begin with.

Also, just in case you didn't know, you can translate whole pages with google translate by simply pasting the URL into the text box and clicking the search button
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:26 PM   #412
Orgonon

Likes (Received): 154

Why the **** are they doing modern versions if they're rebuilding the old town anyway?
Orgonon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:15 PM   #413
Hertog

For some of these buildings, I can sort of understand. Granted, the top one is a shame, both since it's next to a splendid reconstruction and because the original looks great. But the last one, Markt 34 if I'm not mistaken, doesn't look all that special originally and the new design looks quite fitting.
The other two are a mixed bag: the older buildings look good but not great, and it would probably be quite expensive to reconstruct them. I'm not happy with what replaced especially the first one, but I can understand not spending a lot of money to recreate a house that looks 'just ok'.

qjone2, emperormadness liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:39 PM   #414
qjone2

I think half timbered houses get a lot of their charm from the other half-timber structures around them – it is the connectedness, and in a sense, the chaos of their differences that bring them alive. While baroque, for example, is about the symmetry and harmony of their ensembles, half-timbers thrive on the mayhem of their collective togetherness. So yes, while some of the original half timbers aren't exactly masterpieces, they shouldn't be thought of in isolation (and I still really like them ) .

This is why the clean, almost sterile forms of some of the modern buildings next to the reconstructions looks so unusual. Granted, a lot of the new builds are still nice, and at least mimic the form and scale of the originals.

keepthepast, Titan Man, Rohne, TimothyR, erbse and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by qjone2; June 21st, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:04 PM   #415
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Thankfully they have essentially maintained the scale and perimeter shapes of the buildings even though the final facades are not perfect. In many cases the modern interpretation of the originals seems to "work", but they get way off track when they get cutesy with the alternating window placements and unbalanced roof line as in the third example above.

qjone2, emperormadness liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:31 AM   #416
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3492

Very good news!
The City hall towers are coming back! The city and the major have agreed to reconstruct!!! One association is collecting money. Engineers have started their work.

source Vulgow and Wiki.

- First will be the big tower
- second the little tower
- third comes the "Gauben" and other roof windows

Jasper90, qjone2, Titan Man, Hertog, Bosi and 19 others liked this post
The Eagle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:30 AM   #417
majkello777

Likes (Received): 24

sounds to good to be true i have to say i hope it's not some kinda windup lol. Anxious to see some more reconstructions asap.
majkello777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:13 AM   #418
Hertog

Great news! I love that look in the first picture. Do you think they also remove that weird top floor (on the right) and add a real roof again?

Also, if you encounter the site where they are collecting money, let me know .

Dichtefan liked this post
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #419
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ That "weird roof" had to be renovated two years ago, so it'll take a little longer until they reconstruct that one.

Lil update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eibomz View Post

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...348259&page=35

Old July 1st, 2017, 09:58 PM   #420
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3492

The town is growing!

pictures from Heimdall!

Tags