daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:46 PM   #461
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Those little streets and plazas look so lovely. I think this reconstruction project shows that a a modern city does have the potential to be nice, its the tiny plot sizes and narrow streets that give old cities that distinct and pleasant feeling. While modern architecture is undeniably worse, its still encouraging that it can be used to create relatively nice streetscapes compared to what we usually get in modern cities
Agree.
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #462
zerosixdesign

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkelAndersen View Post
Agree.
Also agreed. This looks wonderful.
zerosixdesign no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #463
wakka12

Likes (Received): 305

Imagine every major city in europe undertook one or two similar district recreation type project like frankfurt, would be amazing.
Honestly this project gives me a lot of hope, I think this project will hugely increase tourism in frankfurt and well maybe that'll stimulate other similar projects. I could just be dreaming but I hope

GGJ16, erbse liked this post
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #464
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Those little streets and plazas look so lovely. I think this reconstruction project shows that a a modern city does have the potential to be nice, its the tiny plot sizes and narrow streets that give old cities that distinct and pleasant feeling. While modern architecture is undeniably worse, its still encouraging that it can be used to create relatively nice streetscapes compared to what we usually get in modern cities
You can guarantee this part of the city will become the most popular with both locals and visitors due to its human scale and interesting variation of facades, street formations etc. Modernity has destroyed so much of our city centres making them bleak and uninviting but at long last amends are being made in many places to stop the insanity.
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #465
Steven DL

Likes (Received): 480

Some pictures as seen in several German newspapers during the last 10 days.

Foto: Christoph Boeckheler

The archeological garden (Archäologischer Garten) is planned to reopen in summer 2018:
http://www.fnp.de/lokales/frankfurt/...art675,2832658

Sources:
Frankfurter Neue Presse
Frankfurter Rundschau
Journal Frankfurt
Allgemeine Zeitung

Last edited by Steven DL; November 26th, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Steven DL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #466
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven DL View Post
Has there been any debate about these reconstruction projects and their symbolic meaning etc? I would guess the public overall would be pleased to see the old buildings return in one form or another?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #467
Steven DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
Has there been any debate about these reconstruction projects and their symbolic meaning etc? I would guess the public overall would be pleased to see the old buildings return in one form or another?

That's a fair question Mr. Bricks; actually there are many discussions ongoing and also in the newspapers this is a key discussion topic.

It is always dangerous to generalize but from what I have read, most architects seem to be against reconstruction of lost buildings. There are often citizen initiatives (Buergervereine in German) which are started grassroot, in order to reconstruct landmark buildings (e.g. Dresden's Frauenkirche) or larger parts of a city.
But also if you read through the comments' section of newspapers, you will see there are citizens opposing these reconstructions.

Some (see also German thread on this topic) argue there is a divide running along political lines, meaning more "progressive" or "leftist" thinking people might be more prone to oppose whilst more "conservative" or "rightist" thinking people are generally more in favor of these reconstruction initiatives.

There are many very interesting scientific (sociological and political scientific) articles on the topic. If you like, I can post some links in here as well.

I think the public debate is very much alive and reflective of the importance this topic has in contemporary (German) society.

For some, the reconstructions might have only esthetical value.
It is my opinion however that these projects don't just emerge out of nowhere: they respond to a general "demand" in (a part of) society to "restore" what has been lost - or perhaps even as a reaction to globalization in a way / linked to cultural identity.

Very interesting indeed
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #468
zerosixdesign

Quote:
Imagine every major city in europe undertook one or two similar district recreation type project like frankfurt, would be amazing.
Honestly this project gives me a lot of hope, I think this project will hugely increase tourism in frankfurt and well maybe that'll stimulate other similar projects. I could just be dreaming but I hope
This would be wonderful wouldn't it? I often think it would be nice to remove some of the ill judged stuff put up in areas without any sort of thought to the feel of the remaining buildings. New Zealand Tower in Waterloo Place in London is a prime example.

wakka12 liked this post
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #469
wakka12

Quote:

Foto: Christoph Boeckheler

Sources:
Frankfurter Neue Presse
Frankfurter Rundschau
Journal Frankfurt
Allgemeine Zeitung
Ah so skilfully done. I don't know how they managed to strike a balance between modern construction and old town feel so masterfully. It manages to look like a completely modern building, while respecting the historical buildings, and without looking in any way pastiche.
Frankfurt should be a leading example for other cities that want to undertake similar projects
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #470
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosixdesign View Post
This would be wonderful wouldn't it? I often think it would be nice to remove some of the ill judged stuff put up in areas without any sort of thought to the feel of the remaining buildings. New Zealand Tower in Waterloo Place in London is a prime example.
Unfortunately there are too many 'prime examples ' all over the world to count.Thankfully a lot are being demolished, in my city a dozen or so have been demolished in the last two or three years Mostly because of environmental reasons as they are inefficient , but Im just so glad to see them go for visual reasons
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #471
wakka12

Quote:
That's a fair question Mr. Bricks; actually there are many discussions ongoing and also in the newspapers this is a key discussion topic.

It is always dangerous to generalize but from what I have read, most architects seem to be against reconstruction of lost buildings. There are often citizen initiatives (Buergervereine in German) which are started grassroot, in order to reconstruct landmark buildings (e.g. Dresden's Frauenkirche) or larger parts of a city.
But also if you read through the comments' section of newspapers, you will see there are citizens opposing these reconstructions.

Some (see also German thread on this topic) argue there is a divide running along political lines, meaning more "progressive" or "leftist" thinking people might be more prone to oppose whilst more "conservative" or "rightist" thinking people are generally more in favor of these reconstruction initiatives.

There are many very interesting scientific (sociological and political scientific) articles on the topic. If you like, I can post some links in here as well.

I think the public debate is very much alive and reflective of the importance this topic has in contemporary (German) society.

It is my opinion however that these projects don't just emerge out of nowhere: they respond to a general "demand" in (a part of) society to "restore" what has been lost - or perhaps even as a reaction to globalization in a way / linked to cultural identity.

Very interesting indeed
Good points ! But I hate how this is linked to left/right wing..I want them back because they're pretty and nothing built since then has come even close in terms of quality. Thats why I want them back..not fetishing the past or any right wing conservatism
And the identity is obviously linked to that. Newer buildings have no link to the culture or location they're built in generally, but old buildings are strongly linked to them. Can you imagine those old frankfurt buildings being in london? Or paris? or poland? No its completely unique. But the skyscrapers of frankfurt could be thailand or united states or australia or modern france or russia. another reason I hate modernism, people feel no connection to the buildings

Architecture is completely over politicised, when it shouldn't be , at all, architecture is about making beautiful buildings for people to enjoy. To make spaces that make life better for people

Last edited by wakka12; November 27th, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #472
Steven DL

Quote:
Good points ! But I hate how this is linked to left/right wing..I want them back because they're pretty and nothing built since then has come even close in terms of quality. Thats why I want them back..not fetishing the past or any right wing conservatism
And the identity is obviously linked to that. Newer buildings have no link to the culture or location they're built in generally, but old buildings are strongly linked to them. Can you imagine those old frankfurt buildings being in london? Or paris? or poland? No its completely unique. But the skyscrapers of frankfurt could be thailand or united states or australia or modern france or russia. another reason I hate modernism, people feel no connection to the buildings

I agree with that - impressive as it (sometimes) may be (e.g. skyscrapers), most of what's contemporary built, is not unique to the location/country.
I can see new buildings in Dubai of which I can find almost similar "copies" in Germany, in the USA or in China.+

That's what I meant with my statement on globalization: perhaps many people are not embracing the cultural globalization.
Economical globalization is another topic altogether.

Wiederschönmachung liked this post

Last edited by Steven DL; November 27th, 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Steven DL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #473
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3491

1000 000 Supporters?

City council in panic: Estimates conclude that up to a Million people could come to the grand opening!

It looks like that the reconstruction is going to push the whole thing into bigger popularity. Into the skies. For the grand opening we could see 500 000 to a Million people. According to the estimates by city planners.
The opening party should, so the planners of the city, cost one and a half million Euro.
Like a gigantic big bang party.
The city doesn't like that of course. But now they are in panic mode: What if all those people really come? The city hall experiences already problems like too many phone calls for the staff to handle regarding the reconstruction!
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #474
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Let'em come!

qjone2 liked this post
Tolbert está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #475
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:

Very interesting indeed
Thanks for your reply. This is what interests me the most. Helsinki recently rejected a Guggenheim museum to be built on the city's waterfront, and the whole situation surrounding the museum sparked a major discussion about globalization, americanization, national cityscapes and cultural identity. It's amazing really.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #476
zerosixdesign

Quote:
Ah so skilfully done. I don't know how they managed to strike a balance between modern construction and old town feel so masterfully. It manages to look like a completely modern building, while respecting the historical buildings, and without looking in any way pastiche.
Frankfurt should be a leading example for other cities that want to undertake similar projects
Give these new buildings 50 years to settle and weather and they will look so authentic it will be like it's all original and historic. So impressed with Frankfurt. I hope it's swamped with tourists enjoying all the effort.

erbse, Steven DL, qjone2, wakka12 liked this post
Old November 29th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #477
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
1000 000 Supporters?

City council in panic: Estimates conclude that up to a Million people could come to the grand opening!

It looks like that the reconstruction is going to push the whole thing into bigger popularity. Into the skies. For the grand opening we could see 500 000 to a Million people. According to the estimates by city planners.
The opening party should, so the planners of the city, cost one and a half million Euro.
Like a gigantic big bang party.
The city doesn't like that of course. But now they are in panic mode: What if all those people really come? The city hall experiences already problems like too many phone calls for the staff to handle regarding the reconstruction!
Do you have a source for this? Where are these people coming from? Frankfurt proper only has like 700,000 people. 500,000 is unbelievable enough, let alone 1,000,000. I'd be surprised if 50,000 people turned up honestly. Has this really been getting that much media attention in Germany?
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #478
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3491

Hi gjone2!
The newspapers like "Frankfurter Rundschau" and "Frankfurter Allgemeine" are using those numbers. They say "500 000 plus x, Maybe a cool Mill over a short period of time"
Well, maybe the numbers are to push newspaper sales. I do not know. But there is really a hype in Germany. That I why I am so frustrated over the lack of construction updates here in SCC.

qjone2 liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #479
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57902

What are you talking about, Eagle? Actually we're getting loads of updates at the Frankfurt forum, even for the old town thread, though this (still) is mainly a skyscraper construction forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...348259&page=41

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...348259&page=44

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #480
Steven DL

Some updates:

South side: Markt 5 „Goldene Waage“:

South side: Markt 7 „Weißer Bock“:

South side: Markt 9+11 „Kleiner Vogelsang“ | Markt 13 „Grüne Linde“:

North side: Markt 26 „Schlegel“ | Markt 14 „Neues Paradies“ |Markt 12 „Vorderer Schildknecht“ | Markt 10 „Schönau“:

North side: Markt 14 „Neues Paradies“ | Markt 12 „Vorderer Schildknecht“ | Markt 10 „Schönau“ | Markt 8 „Großer Rebstock“ im Vordergrund:

A look into the Rebstockhof with the Braubachstraße 21 in front and the Braubachstraße 15 „Hof zum Rebstock“ in the background:

Braubachstraße 27:

Braubachstraße 31 „Zum Glauburger Hof“:

Thanks to: sweet_meat, Deut. Arch. For.

Tags
frankfurt, old town, reconstruction