daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #81
EagleswordTW

Likes (Received): 188

Have anything at all happen four month later? I am very interested in this project and I would really like to know the latest new
EagleswordTW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:48 PM   #82
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

If I look at http://www.domroemer.de, which appears to be the official project page, it seems there will be 15 reconstructions and 20 new, modern buildings with just a tiny nod to their predecessors. Looking at the renderings and the 'virtual tour', I get the feeling Frankfurt is spending a lot of money just so it can have a centre that looks like any other partially destroyed, partially rebuild German city centre. As the webcam seems to show building in progress and http://www.altstadt-retten.de appears to be quite dead, I am afraid it is final...
Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 05:24 PM   #83
EagleswordTW

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertog View Post
If I look at http://www.domroemer.de, which appears to be the official project page, it seems there will be 15 reconstructions and 20 new, modern buildings with just a tiny nod to their predecessors. Looking at the renderings and the 'virtual tour', I get the feeling Frankfurt is spending a lot of money just so it can have a centre that looks like any other partially destroyed, partially rebuild German city centre. As the webcam seems to show building in progress and http://www.altstadt-retten.de appears to be quite dead, I am afraid it is final...
Thanks for the answer, but isn't that good, that 14 000 have signed to make all rebuilding historical correct. According Frankfurter Neue Presser the apartment in the old town is sold up 7500 euro per square meter! That may be good because perhaps this will make other cities to rebuild there city centers thanks to the high price people are willing to pay. There is a lot of good info about the recreation of Frankfurts old town here: http://www.fnp.de/themen/altstadt_fr...wiederaufbau./

Edit: I saw now that after counting the votes around 1300 was seemed to be invalid and because their try failed

Last edited by EagleswordTW; August 21st, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
EagleswordTW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:55 PM   #84
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 142

Normally they start building the houses by the end of this month.

a nightrendering

http://domroemer.de/
Old October 21st, 2014, 03:32 PM   #85
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleswordTW View Post
Thanks for the answer, but isn't that good, that 14 000 have signed to make all rebuilding historical correct. According Frankfurter Neue Presser the apartment in the old town is sold up 7500 euro per square meter! That may be good because perhaps this will make other cities to rebuild there city centers thanks to the high price people are willing to pay. There is a lot of good info about the recreation of Frankfurts old town here: http://www.fnp.de/themen/altstadt_fr...wiederaufbau./

Edit: I saw now that after counting the votes around 1300 was seemed to be invalid and because their try failed
That's a shame. Maybe they should have made a poll/vote instead. I am pretty sure most people would be in favour of a 100 per cent historical restoration. We do NOT insist on building a half-timbering house next to a skyscraper. It is all about harmonies, not contrasts - meaning disturbing elements.
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:21 PM   #86
Hertog

Likes (Received): 47

We don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkelAndersen View Post
That's a shame. Maybe they should have made a poll/vote instead. I am pretty sure most people would be in favour of a 100 per cent historical restoration. We do NOT insist on building a half-timbering house next to a skyscraper. It is all about harmonies, not contrasts - meaning disturbing elements.
Granted, it's not half-timbered, but still:

(Click for large version)

Hertog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:39 PM   #87
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertog View Post
Granted, it's not half-timbered, but still:

(Click for large version)

Does not look good. But is the "old" building new?
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:52 PM   #88
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Yes, it's a reconstruction of the Thurn und Taxis Palace.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:26 PM   #89
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57916

^ It's a partial reconstruction, parts of the baroque Palais were still standing after WW2.

It looked like that:

http://frank66furt.de/burgen/frankfurt/

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:52 AM   #90
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3503

Hallo, erbse! Is it possible to get pictures. You mentioned before you would like to.
Thank you very much,
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #91
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

Nice to see it! I hope many cities in Germany do the same as Dresden and Frankfurt are doing: rebuilding its historical place!
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #92
erbse
LIBERTINED

Finally we see real buildings popping up in Frankfurt's new old town:

Webcams source: http://www.domroemer.de/webcams

Jasper90, ELH liked this post
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #93
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Are there plans for more reconstructions after this project?
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #94
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 354

Currently not, but I hope this will be kind of kick-off for even more (not that this would be the first reconstruction project in Frankfurt). Project possibilities would be more than enough in formerly one of the world's largest medieval oldtowns.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #95
erbse
LIBERTINED

Well, we might at least see the roofs/towers of the extended City Hall coming back, "Langer Franz" and "Kleiner Cohn".

Currently:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...jpg?uselang=de

Once and perhaps soon again:

Old March 15th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #96
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

It would be awesome if they reconstruct the towers of the City Hall, they looked amazing. I also hope they will reconstruct the whole Altstadt the way it was.

P.S. What was on the spot of the "Mainhattan" before WW2? Where there old medieval houses or what??
Old March 20th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #97
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Are there plans for more reconstructions after this project?
Not at the moment. But Frankfurt has had a bunch of reconstructions lately.
So and this one is not the latest either. The 60 properties seen here have been auctioned off. The bidder had to proof being from Frankfurt, wants to life there, had to proof having some of the money at hand. They also had to have a solid business idea. People had only two weeks to put there application in. Still 650 applications came in! Now the winners will be drawn lotto style. The demand is mind blowing. There is very likely an extension. Btw. This project is already an extension of the roemer ost Zeile. Reconstruction from the late 70`s early 80`s. So, it`s very, very, very - likely.

Titan Man liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #98
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Not at the moment. But Frankfurt has had a bunch of reconstructions lately.
So and this one is not the latest either. The 60 properties seen here have been auctioned off. The bidder had to proof being from Frankfurt, wants to life there, had to proof having some of the money at hand. They also had to have a solid business idea. People had only two weeks to put there application in. Still 650 applications came in! Now the winners will be drawn lotto style. The demand is mind blowing. There is very likely an extension. Btw. This project is already an extension of the roemer ost Zeile. Reconstruction from the late 70`s early 80`s. So, it`s very, very, very - likely.
I hope it will happen soon, Frankfurt had the most amazing medieval city center, it would be really cool wandering those small streets during the holiday season, with the snow and lights.
I really don't know what is so controversial about these reconstruction projects because, to me, the materials and technique used to reconstruct a building are not so important compared to the contribution it will give to the city, its skyline and the citizens.
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:45 AM   #99
erbse
LIBERTINED

Germany went through all sorts of ideologies imaginable in the 20th century.

It's not so hard to realise the country needs some time to form a natural identity out of that. But we're getting there, with each and every year. I'd say 15 years from now Germany became a somewhat healthy nation again, though there will still be many obstacles, but you'll find such anywhere. Frankfurt might get back another 5-15% of its former old town then.

Titan Man, The Eagle liked this post
Old March 21st, 2015, 01:27 AM   #100
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I understand, but I think that a nation, especially European one, can't develop a national identity with modern architecture. That's because the world is connected in every single way and you will always find another modern building somewhere overseas that looks quite the same. But the main point is that we feel better surrounded by old architecture, small streets and squares. I'm from Croatia and I see a lot of German tourists visiting our old towns just because they can't get the same experience in their own country. It's sad because if they unite, Germans could transform their cities and make them European pearls once again.

The Eagle, keepthepast, Velaxa liked this post

Tags
frankfurt, old town, reconstruction