daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #201
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
Gaolumi isnt the most reliable of sources. It overestimates about as much as emporis underestimates.
Gaoloumi dose not overestimate,their database underestimates because it has not been updated for a long time,in every city forum,data is very accurate because they were all locals and there are strict rules.
But as I have said,most cities forum don't statistical 150m-,big cities don't statistical 200m-,so there is no database about buildings 100m+ except for some small cities
And as far as I know,the Chinese government has not released official detailed data
teresabaixue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #202
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresabaixue View Post
Gaoloumi dose not overestimate,their database underestimates because it has not been updated for a long time,in every city forum,data is very accurate because they were all locals and there are strict rules.
But as I have said,most cities forum don't statistical 150m-,big cities don't statistical 200m-,so there is no database about buildings 100m+ except for some small cities
And as far as I know,the Chinese government has not released official detailed data
I commend Isaidso for his efforts, but so many cities these days have buildings over 300m+ that I think it is just too overwhelming to try to count them and there are so many that they really do not stand out in a skyline these days. In today's big city skylines around the world, a skyscraper has to be at least 150 meters to even be noticed. That is why I prefer sticking to the 150 meter criterion.

I absolutely hate here in Miami when another developer puts up another condo that's less than 150 meters, especially when they are only a meter shy of it.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #203
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

How about starting a new thread to count 200m+ (real skyscraper) only?

# of 200m+ Buildings Completed, U/C, Proposed
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #204
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
How about starting a new thread to count 200m+ (real skyscraper) only?

# of 200m+ Buildings Completed, U/C, Proposed
I think at 150m+ you can still get a good sized forest without having too many skyscrapers to count. I think starting at 200m+ cuts out a lot of skyscrapers in a lot of cities. What makes 200m+ a real skyscraper anyway? Is that your own personal criterion?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old September 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #205
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I think at 150m+ you can still get a good sized forest without having too many skyscrapers to count. I think starting at 200m+ cuts out a lot of skyscrapers in a lot of cities.
So lets start a new thread for 150m+ then.

Quote:
What makes 200m+ a real skyscraper anyway? Is that your own personal criterion?
SSC criteria

over 300m = supertall
200- 299m = skyscraper
100- 199m = highrise
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #206
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3977

The possibility of getting an accurate list is 0.00000000000001%. Why are people kicking off??

QuantumX liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #207
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
SSC criteria

over 300m = supertall
200- 299m = skyscraper
100- 199m = highrise
How was this established? Where is this printed?

Definition: A skyscraper is defined on Emporis as a multi-story building whose architectural height is at least 100 meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
The possibility of getting an accurate list is 0.00000000000001%.
True! Even here in Miami, for instance, there are buildings that we know exceeded their original heights specifications and others that didn't meet their original height specifications, but we have no way of nailing down what height the building actually is. In cases where buildings exceeded the height specification for which they were approved, there might even be a penalty involved if the actual height of the building became known, especially in cases where the Federal Aviation Administration had to give approval.

My photo threads:

Old September 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #208
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresabaixue View Post
What I don't understand is that the information must exist somewhere. Even in China, cities would know what buildings exist in their jurisdiction. When buildings go up the city would know how tall it is. How would they not? It's surely a matter of the information being kept in private and/or government hands.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #209
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Yes, but his bias against Miami really shows. He finally mentions it on page 6 and as not part of any list. He even lists St. Petersburg, Florida before ever mentioning Miami.
What do you mean? If Miami wasn't mentioned till page 6 that was because there are about 100 cities to document, not bias for one over another. Was I supposed to do it all in one day? Do you have any idea how much work this thread was? There's a reason I haven't updated in ages, it became too much for me.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

univer, Union Man liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; September 30th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #210
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Quote:

Definition: A skyscraper is defined on Emporis as a multi-story building whose architectural height is at least 100 meters.
I think there is no official definition or height above which a building may be classified as a skyscraper. Different websites, organizations and even countries/cities follow different criteria to classify skyscrapers (taliking about height). Ten years ago a 12 storey or 35 meter building was considered as skyscrapers. Now some websites and cities considers only 200m+ as skyscrapers. In some small cities a 20 storey building is considered a skyscraper, but in big cities even a 40 strey building may not be called a skyscraper.
Quote:
A skyscraper is a tall, continuously habitable building of many storeys, usually designed for office and commercial use. There is no official definition or height above which a building may be classified as a skyscraper.

The term "skyscraper" was first applied to buildings of steel framed construction of at least 10 storeys in the late 19th century, a result of public amazement at the tall buildings being built in major cities like Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, Detroit, and St. Louis.[8] The first steel frame skyscraper was the Home Insurance Building (originally 10 storeys with a height of 42 m or 138 ft) in Chicago, Illinois in 1885.

A loose convention of some in the United States and Europe draws the lower limit of a skyscraper at 150 m or 490 ft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper

Quote:
What makes 200m+ a real skyscraper anyway? Is that your own personal criterion?
Quote:
I don't know whether it is printed somewhere or not but this is the standard method SSC is following over the years to classify buildings/projects which you can see in their homepage.

So i will go by SSC (200m-299m).

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #211
univer

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by univer View Post
My estimation for top 15 100m+ completed building :

10.Chicago 351

11. Seoul ~300 (CTBUH said 247 in 12/2010)
Kuala lumpur ~300 (CTBUH said 244 in 12/2010)
Singapore ~300 (CTBUH said 238 in 12/2010)
Chongqing ~300 (CTBUH said 226 in 12/2010)
15.Busan 280+
According to Emporis, Singapore has 332 building above 30 floors
http://www.emporis.com/city/singapor...g-buildings/25

Guangzhou : 175 ; Wuhan : 171 ; Shenzhen : 155.
univer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #212
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What do you mean? If Miami wasn't mentioned till page 6 that was because there are about 100 cities to document, not bias for one over another. Was I supposed to do it all in one day? Do you have any idea how much work this thread was? There's a reason I haven't updated in ages, it became too much for me.
Sorry Isaidso, but I was confused by how you were going about this. Yes, I can imagine how much work it was.

My photo threads:

Old September 30th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #213
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

According to Wikipedia and some others sites, a skyscraper is a building with at least 15 floors, or at least 100 meters, but there isn't any accurate estimates for the height of a skyscraper.
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:03 AM   #214
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What I don't understand is that the information must exist somewhere. Even in China, cities would know what buildings exist in their jurisdiction. When buildings go up the city would know how tall it is. How would they not? It's surely a matter of the information being kept in private and/or government hands.
Yes, the information must exist somewhere,but the problem is wether there is authority for statistics
China Bureau of Statistics is not CTBUH.They are not responsible for statistics and published the number of 100m+
For example:The People's Republic of China Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development,they publish a lot of official information,such as China Construction Yearbook,hundreds of pages,but they don't count the number of 100m+l
teresabaixue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:05 AM   #215
isaidso
the new republic

Maybe a private Chinese citizen will take it upon himself/herself to publish a comprehensive data base one day.

Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:39 PM   #216
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

That would be nice. I don't think we have anywhere near the full story on Shanghai and Shenzen.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; October 2nd, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #217
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3977

To be honest I totally agree. It's hard to keep up with London's proposals let alone somewhere like Shenzhen, Shanghai etc.

I think it's a case of doing the best you can with the data you can then.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:49 PM   #218
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Actually, considering the small number of them, its very easy to keep up with London highrise developments.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #219
isaidso
the new republic

Edit.

Old October 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #220
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

UPDATE

Seoul 서울
Buildings +100 meters tall built: 230**
Buildings +100 meters tall under construction: 22*
Buildings +100 meters tall proposed: 11

*Update: 01/10/2013 ---> 8 skyscrapers started their construction between September and October 2013. 4 of these will be complete already next year.

**Update: 01/10/2013 ---> With this update, skyscrapers that is registered are 230. Until 30/09/2013 skyscrapers that is registered were only 219.

Source: SSP (SkyScraperPage.com)
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote