daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 50

BOSTON | Four Seasons - 1 Dalton St. | 237m | 779ft | 60 fl | 95m | 285ft | 24 fl | U/C

- dmca

desertpunk, xXFallenXx, yeisson, Enzo liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; February 8th, 2015 at 11:17 PM.
Cojapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #2
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1027

Kinda torn about this project. It sounds like a fantastic development, but the plaza it'd be replacing is really exceptionally beautiful. I guess it'll depend on how the development will look, but I've always though of it as a quiet, almost pensive spot (especially at night) just a few blocks from one of Boston's busiest streets.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #3
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Nice to see the upsizing of the tallest proposed tower. Earlier editions of this development included a 532 ft. tower along with two smaller ones.

http://www.johnakeithrealestate.com/archives/3165

Curbed

Last edited by desertpunk; July 2nd, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Knowing Boston, it will probably be shortened at least 100ft before it goes through, if it goes through. A great city, but a mediocre skyline because of reactionary nimbys.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
Knowing Boston, it will probably be shortened at least 100ft before it goes through, if it goes through. A great city, but a mediocre skyline because of reactionary nimbys.
If it were downtown they [the developers] wouldn't even have bothered with anything over 600 ft. But in the Back Bay NIMBYs only cry about transportation.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; June 15th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Cojapo

I'd like to believe NIMBY's wouldn't complain about the height with the Pru right next door, but there is a sense of entitlement in the Back Bay, so we'll see. If this and Copley get built, combined with Millenium, Government Center Garage redevelopment, Nashua St...we may see a dramatic improvement in the skyline over the next few years. It is nice to see more than one project proposed over 600 ft. As I have said before, I will remain cautiously optimistic. When I see piles being driving into the ground and steel rising, then I will be excited.
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:23 PM   #7
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
I'd like to believe NIMBY's wouldn't complain about the height with the Pru right next door, but there is a sense of entitlement in the Back Bay, so we'll see. If this and Copley get built, combined with Millenium, Government Center Garage redevelopment, Nashua St...we may see a dramatic improvement in the skyline over the next few years. It is nice to see more than one project proposed over 600 ft. As I have said before, I will remain cautiously optimistic. When I see piles being driving into the ground and steel rising, then I will be excited.
May go past 700 ft:

Quote:
They seem to be set on a triangular shape for the tower.
The height is listed as 691' plus mechanicals putting it over 700'.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...n%206.5.13.pdf

http://www.archboston.org/community/...&postcount=456

Cojapo, Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #8
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The Site:

image hosted on flickr

IMG_3203 by kz1000ps, on Flickr

Cojapo, iamtheSTIG, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Cojapo

This has been approved and should start construction early in 2014:
http://www.boston.com/real-estate/ne...f0J/story.html
Back Bay tower proposal OK’d
Developers looking to make their mark on Boston’s skyline win BRA approval for project that would include city’s tallest residential tower

Boston regulators on Thursday approved construction of what will be the city’s tallest residential building, a 691-foot hotel and condominium tower that will rise at the edge of the Christian Science Plaza.

The 58-story building, to be situated at the corner of Belvidere and Dalton Streets, will add another major peak to the Back Bay skyline and bring thousands of new residents and visitors to one of the city’s most celebrated landmarks.

The 950,000 square foot development also includes a 25-story tower with 255 apartments; both new buildings will have retail and restaurant spaces. Construction is scheduled to start early next year. In total, the project will include 425 residences, 170 of which will be condominiums, and about 250 hotel rooms.

Last edited by Cojapo; September 13th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #10
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Boston's Tallest Residential Tower! A Trend Is Bucked

Quote:
What's that about Bostonians being scared of heights? The city on Thursday green-lighted what will be the tallest residential tower in Boston, a 691-foot, 58-story spire at the edge of the Christian Science Plaza.

The tower is part of a 950,000-square-foot plaza development expected to start next year and to include another residential tower, this one a mere 25 stories. The taller tower will include 255 apartments; 170 condos; and about 250 hotel rooms. It will be designed by the same architect who did the John Hancock Tower in the 1970s. It will be 99 feet shorter than that, the city's tallest tower, but it will surpass two other planned buildings that were to be the city's tallest residential ones: the Millennium Tower and the addition to Copley Square, both slated for 625 feet.

The 691-foot height—and the reaction to it—stands athwart a major trend in Boston development: that of the OMFG-not-tall reaction that has truncated many a Roark-ian shoot. As Casey Ross points out in The Globe: "During a Boston Redevelopment Authority meeting Thursday night, a long line of stakeholders spoke in favor of the project. No one spoke against it."

aquaticko, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #11
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Nice design, although the name's a bit oxymoronic.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #12
aquaticko

You should look up Christian Science. It's kinda wacky, but as far as I know, it's pretty much unique within Christianity.

Anyway, more than happy to see the city's nimbyism/ant-skyscraper attitude changing, and I can hardly think of a more appropriate place to build this kind of tower.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM   #13
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Transforming Greater Boston: 10 Projects to Watch in 2014

Quote:
Christian Science Plaza Towers

In early September, the city signed off on a mega-project at the Christian Science Plaza that includes a 691-foot, 58-story tower with 255 apartments, 170 condos and about 250 hotel rooms. When completed, it will be Boston's tallest residential building. Another tower, this one a mere 25 stories, is also part of the 950,000-square-foot scheme. Construction is scheduled to start early this year.

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
You should look up Christian Science. It's kinda wacky, but as far as I know, it's pretty much unique within Christianity.

Anyway, more than happy to see the city's nimbyism/ant-skyscraper attitude changing, and I can hardly think of a more appropriate place to build this kind of tower.
What kind of science will be conducted here anyway?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #15
aquaticko

None, I imagine, unless your definition of science includes Christian Science. This is simply being built at the site of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, the Christian Science HQ. Check it out on Google maps; it's a really beautiful spot.
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #16
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

It's on the small triangle plot on Belvidere Street

https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.34604...04823&t=h&z=18

If you want to "explore" you can scroll to the right and it will take you across Back Bay and into the downtown skyline
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #17
Cojapo

Construction possibly starting at the end of the year.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/ne...h.VCjMKwqF.dpu

Foreign investment -- in the form of financiers, hotel guests and condo buyers -- is a major factor driving the city of Boston's current hotel construction boom.
Rising construction costs haven't yet begun to slow the pipeline of deals, as investors show continuing confidence in Boston as a global hub of commerce and tourism, hotel developers said Tuesday at the Hotel Equity & Lenders Perspective conference in Boston.
Six hotels are under construction or expanding in the city this year, adding 1,258 rooms. Another 6,182 rooms are proposed or approved citywide, including the 1,200-room "headquarters hotel" that is tied to a proposed 1.1-million-square-foot expansion of the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.
Developer Richard Friedman said groundbreaking is expected by year's end on a 58-story hotel and condo tower overlooking Christian Science Plaza in Back Bay. The project, Boston's tallest residential building, will contain 225 hotel rooms and 186 condos.
Friedman, CEO of Carpenter & Co. in Cambridge, said the estimated hotel costs are "closer to $1 million a key than half a million," but said there has been significant interest from Asian investors and expects to have financing in place "within weeks." Sales of the multi-million-dollar condos, many to foreign buyers, will subsidize the hotel construction costs. The project was approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority in September.
Friedman credited the addition of direct flights from Logan International Airport to Asia, South America and the Middle East with generating current demand for thousands of daily hotel bookings.
"I think we've seen an absolute major transformation in Boston as a market. We've been yakking for 30 years about Boston being a world-class city," Friedman said. "It's actually happening now."
Boston hotel occupancy rates are projected at 68 percent this year, with average daily rates rising 6.5 percent to $120, according to industry researchers Pinnacle Advisory Group and Smith Travel Research.
During a panel discussion, hotel financiers said they don't see any major changes in the city's stance toward hotel development since Mayor Martin Walsh took office in January.
"Dealing with the [Boston Redevelopment Authority] is a little bit of a known quantity," said Mark Deschenes, a principal at Boylston Properties in Boston. "It takes some time. At least you know how to get through the process and get to the end. That risk in the suburban markets can be a little bit more difficult and a little bit more subjective."
The conference at the Seaport Boston Hotel was sponsored by CHM Hotel Asset Management, Conventus Media and O'Connell Hospitality Group.
- See more at: http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/ne...h.VCjMKwqF.dpu

desertpunk liked this post
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #18
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

I go to Northeastern, so this is awesome to see, right next door to me! I literally live about a 6 minute walk away haha. It'll be nice to see the Back Bay Skyline change a bit

Cojapo liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #19
Cojapo

Once this, Copley Place and Trinity all go up, the skyline along Back Bay will really look amazing.

aquaticko liked this post
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #20
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Bump...
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 dalton st., boston, christian science center, four seasons hotel