daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #1
HCB

Likes (Received): 9

Helsinki Finland by HCB

All photos below in this post are taken by me.

Helsinki is the Capital of Finland in northern Europe. Finland is situated between Sweden and Russia and has population of 5.4 million. The culture of Finland is kind of a mixture of both it's neighbors, and at the same time it reminds neither of them.

The city of Helsinki has some 610 000 inhabitants (2013) and the urban area has almost 1.2 million people making it the biggest urban area in Finland and it's growing fast.

The architecture of Helsinki is mixed. There is almost nothing from the medieval times (you have to go to Turku for example to see some medieval Finland), but there are a lot of historical buildings starting from 18th century to this day. There are not many areas in Helsinki that are architecturally clean but I think that this is why Helsinki is so interesting.

But now to the pictures. First the most well known view of Helsinki, the South Harbour. They are planning to make an outdoor spa to replace the ugly harbour building in the front. There are also plans to build new houses to the same place.

The Lutherian cathedral, Tuomiokirkko (The doom church), Suurkirkko (The grand church)

The statue of Alexander II, the Russian Emperor who played important part in process of Finland becoming independent country.

The Senate square, where the statue and the grand cathedral are situated:

Presidentinlinna, the Presidents castle.

Uspenski cathedral and it's surroundings in Katajanokka.

christos-greece, Dr.Luay liked this post
HCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #2
HCB

Pictures below in this post are taken by me.

Katajanokka:

Icebreakers next to Katajanokka.

Art deco buildings in Katajanokka.

Old harbour house.
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #3
HCB

I love this old boat.

Kruununhaka: area behind the Senate square. For example in Kruununhaka you can see houses from different styles and years, but they melt together beautifully.

christos-greece, Drainville liked this post
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #4
HCB

Aleksanterinkatu, one of the main shopping streets. The first shot was taken a couple of years ago and the temperature in January was almost minus 25 Celsius.. That's why most of the people are off the streets.

Aleksanterinkatu has also Stockmann, a large (and a bit posh) department store worth visiting. The clock you see in the picture is right at the main entrance and it is a popular meeting point. It is common to say: See you under the clock ("Nähdään kellon alla").

From inside Stockmann. There are a couple of nice city views. Sorry for the reflection..

Some random pics behind Kamppi, a big shopping area in the centre of Helsinki. It's hard to believe that the trams stay on their tracks on the icy ground, but they do. Bigger problem in winter are the cars that block the tramrails..

Dr.Luay liked this post
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #5
HCB

Some rarely seen views over Helsinki. These were taken in the "Dinner in the sky" restaurant, which was visiting us from Tallinn, Estonia. Enjoy.

First is the Central railway station and behind that the Sokos department store and the Kamppi district.

Then the fabulous and also brutal Makkaratalo (the sausage house) which got its name from the concrete sausage which surrounds the building. They have renovated the building and there is now a big shopping mall called City Center inside of it. Behind Makkaratalo you can see the Hotel Torni (the tower).

Area behind the main railway station. It is under construction and there will also be the new Central Library. You can see the peak of the National museum tower in the distance.

A view towards Kallio district. The Kallio church on the left and some midrise buildings of Merihaka on the right. In the future you can see some high rises of Kalasatama near Merihaka on the right.

Ateneum art museum. Old fire station tower, Johanneksen kirkko and Michael Agricolan kirkko (the church towers) from the left to the right in the horizon.

The National theater (the one with the small red towers) and behind the Linnanmäki amusement park and the Pasila TV tower in the far distance. There are plans to a high rise area in Pasila, so in future there will be a proper skyline.

I didn't manage to take many good pictures, because I was afraid that my phone (and me) would fall down..

I'll post some more Helsinki pictures later.

MilbertDavid, anttibrili liked this post

Last edited by HCB; June 17th, 2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Clarifying a name of a district.
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244676

Really good, very nice photos from Helsinki
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #7
MilbertDavid

Likes (Received): 318

lovely city indeed.
MilbertDavid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Drainville

Likes (Received): 323

I love Helsinki, especially when it's far above 30 celsius here in Hungary. I love this atmosphere.
Drainville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6632

This is a very nice city with some very pretty and diverse architecture.
Wapper está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
leftphalange

Likes (Received): 18

I soooo would love to live there for a few months. It's one of my dream cities!
leftphalange no está en línea   Reply With Quote