daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Where??
Shanghai 61 20.07%
Moscow 110 36.18%
New York 58 19.08%
London 23 7.57%
Tokyo 21 6.91%
Beijing 11 3.62%
Dubai 58 19.08%
Doha 8 2.63%
Abu Dhabi 16 5.26%
Elsewhere?? 56 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #21
MUHA
A Deep Miracle

Likes (Received): 1377

I hope to see it rising in NYC, the big apple, just across the statue of liberty, in the land of prosperity, big dreams and fair chances. This should be a small gift from people of earth to the country that invented airplanes, sent humans to walk the moon, and created internet. God bless the USA.

Birmingham liked this post
MUHA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #22
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHA View Post
I hope to see it rising in NYC, the big apple, just across the statue of liberty, in the land of prosperity, big dreams and fair chances. This should be a small gift from people of earth to the country that invented airplanes, sent humans to walk the moon, and created internet. God bless the USA.
and much more
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #23
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

They didn't actually invent airplanes but I see your point.

Erlenberg, sepul liked this post
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Jeremo

They should built it on top of mount Everest.

orange boy liked this post
Jeremo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #25
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

If this tower was built in London, this is how far you'd see from the top:

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #26
Evrasia 99911
Оленятинка!

Likes (Received): 35671

Moscow.
I think, I hope.

But I doubt.
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #27
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

New York! Choose New York! This city really deserves it!

Febo liked this post
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #28
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

Only very few cities in the world have the economic power to actually take advantage of this tower and use it efficiently, and even fewer of these cities have skylines that would accomodate this tower well. NYC's skyline is not made for a mile-high tower, Shanghai has got its three supertalls masterplan that would be severely harmed, not taking its soil into account, Tokyo is unlikely too because of the seismic activity... But I'm not an expert and this is just my humble opinion, but I think London is the city that is most likely to win... It's the most important financial centre in the world and is the largest city of the world's largest economy (EU), which would attract investment from all around the union, and London is known for beign the international "playground" for rich people. I'm not so sure about its height limit (I've heard something about height restrictions imposed thanks to air travel - correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't see the tower built in the Middle East, the oil prices are relatively high, but the US is trying to decrease its dependency on foreign oil and the development of shale technology, nuclear technology etc. is not going to help them as they need to invest into infrastructure (ports, railways, highways) to make their economies more competitive + I think there's a real estate bubble in the Middle East. EU economy is getting its shit together finally, so my choice for the building site would be either EU or China, US is behind (it wouldn't make much sense to build this in Chicago or NYC). Middle East is very unlikely. I am not sure about Russia, but the progress of the Federation Tower shows that there might not be that high demand for office space, but I would like if someone from Russia could prove me otherwise.

London is my guess.
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Nikonov_Ivan

I think that it will not fit London's skyline. It can feet New York or Shanghai...
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #30
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHA View Post
I'd give that to Cayley - A Briton (100 years earlier) who not only designed a plane but also established the science of aeronautics.

Also the Internet or the World Wide Web was invented by Tim Berners-Lee, another Briton - which isn't surprising really considering 51% of all world wide patents are indeed British inventions.

Anyway - You did manage to walk on the Moon so i'll give you a like for your post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #31
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

If it were between New York and London, it would likely be New York because it is a larger financial center than London and is overall a more important city.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #32
luukardinho

Likes (Received): 38

Rotterdam

sepul, swatded, bozenBDJ, Calvin Coolidge liked this post
luukardinho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #33
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Anyway - You did manage to walk on the Moon so i'll give you a like for your post
Yes and did we benefit from that as a species! Puts the invention of the internet and aeronautics to shame.
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #34
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1234

Yes, New York, please!! The ideal city for such a building!!

Or it could be Chicago too, a mile high tower, as it was planned many years ago.
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #35
orange boy
BANNED

WTC 1 costs around 5 bln US$. This? Maybe 2-3 bln. in SA, but in NY or London or Moscow? 15-20-30 bln? Why?
orange boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #36
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by honguqia View Post
Brilliant, love 'em.

Love what?
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #37
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
If it were between New York and London, it would likely be New York because it is a larger financial center than London and is overall a more important city.

That is bullshit. Many financial analysts put London ahead of NYC, because the City of London is on par with NY, if not more important. London can conduct business very easily with all parts of the globe, but NYC has got a larger GDP. You should never forget that London is the capital of a member of G8 country, which gives it a very strong political power (on the other hand, NYC houses UN). It is also largest city in the EU - world's largest economy (it's not a single country, but a single market). NYC is the financial center of the world's largest national economy, but London is the best connected city on the globe and has a very good strategic position. But to say that NYC is overall more important is ignorant.
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #38
Nikonov_Ivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange boy View Post
WTC 1 costs around 5 bln US$. This? Maybe 2-3 bln. in SA, but in NY or London or Moscow? 15-20-30 bln? Why?
The price doesn't depend on location( I guess). WTC in NY costs 6 billion $ because it consists of great memorial complex, museum, train terminal, skyscrapers etc.
For example Burj Khalifa, it self, costs 1,5 billion $
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #39
Nikonov_Ivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanChancellor View Post

That is bullshit. Many financial analysts put London ahead of NYC, because the City of London is on par with NY, if not more important. London can conduct business very easily with all parts of the globe, but NYC has got a larger GDP. You should never forget that London is the capital of a member of G8 country, which gives it a very strong political power (on the other hand, NYC houses UN). It is also largest city in the EU - world's largest economy (it's not a single country, but a single market). NYC is the financial center of the world's largest national economy, but London is the best connected city on the globe and has a very good strategic position. But to say that NYC is overall more important is ignorant.
Maybe you are right, NY and London are 2 global cities. But in sence of skyline building of that hight will fit NY more.
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #40
Nikonov_Ivan

But, guys, I think that this building won't be built in NY nor in London. Because in both cities there is no much territory to make such strong foundation.