daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Where??
Shanghai 61 20.07%
Moscow 110 36.18%
New York 58 19.08%
London 23 7.57%
Tokyo 21 6.91%
Beijing 11 3.62%
Dubai 58 19.08%
Doha 8 2.63%
Abu Dhabi 16 5.26%
Elsewhere?? 56 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 18th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #61
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

5250ft!!!??? Thats just ******* ridiculous, when is enough?
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #62
Donodöner
Public Enemy №1

Likes (Received): 1678

interesting...

Grand City Moscow

Donodöner posted this like

Sorry, away for a long time, 'cause engineering student
Donodöner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #63
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

personally hoping for Shanghai out of the list. London would be epic, but it just does not make any sense, most of the cities are also far too expensive, some chinese cities like Tianjin, Wuhan, Guangzhou or Shenzhen it would fit perfectly in, but i think since it is a project like that it might end up in a middle eastern country in the endit is just the cheapest way to go tall, really.

out of the ones mentioned:
Shanghai - if it is next to the big three it will give Shanghai an even more lujiazui centric look. four towers tapering taller and taller and the tallest shadowing over everything would be amazing.
Moscow - we all are still scarred by russia tower. building more than twice as tall would redeem this wound like someone else in this thread already mentioned.
New York - new york has a lot of modern, yet also a lot of weird towers, building an eye catcher this tall could give new york a new face, which would help having a center of attention in the skyline instead of so many different pinnacles all over the city.
London - since it is the closest city to me a dream to come true, the tower would finally give London a landmark that it is worth talking about instead of a barely 300m building, which looks nice, but cannot compete with what is going on elsewhere.
Tokyo - Tokyo like London has far too low skyscrapers for the importance of the city. The skytree showed what Tokyo could be capable of and all these visionary projects scream for Tokyo to finally build a Mega-Tower for godzilla to climb.
Beijing - Beijing is late for the skyscraper race, but with the coming CBD a lot can happen. The importance of the city may push it in the eyes of the investors and media, since cities like Shenzhen may be under the radar for many.
Dubai - an obvious candidate as a playground for supertall craziness
Elsewhere - Hong Kong, Chicago, Guangzhou, Shenzhen don't seem to unlikely to me as well

Ivanator liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #64
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

My previous map was inaccurate.

This one is correct:

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #65
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUHA View Post
I hope to see it rising in NYC, the big apple, just across the statue of liberty, in the land of prosperity, big dreams and fair chances. This should be a small gift from people of earth to the country that invented airplanes, sent humans to walk the moon, and created internet. God bless the USA.
The internet was invented in the UK, come to think of it, so was the USA!

krkseg1ops, Ivanator liked this post
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #66
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

*del*
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #67
Erlenberg

Likes (Received): 1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
Paris itself has just over 2 million habitants, not 10 million. Just the suburbs make it that big.
And the metro area of london has 15 million people
Well, London municipality (Greater London) is 1 572 km² while Paris municipality is 105 km² ... we can't compare !

calculate population with city proper is a nonsense : Berlin would be bigger than Paris, and Bremen bigger than Nuremberg () ...

And metropolitan area represents only labor pool, not the city (and it changes significantly according to the reference).
The only really occurate census data is urban area (=city+agglomeration)

Last edited by Erlenberg; June 19th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Erlenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #68
iveman94

Likes (Received): 55

Ok, but I don't understand what is Moscow doing in this rating. It is not major political cultural or economical centre of the world, not even Europe...
iveman94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #69
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Moscow is major city in Eastern Europe and one of the most powerful cities in Europe. Also, it's skyline( financial district, I mean) is rather interesting, so, such building maybe could fit it.
Anyway, Moscow is well-known all over the world, that is why we can call it global city, also.
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #70
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I picked Dubai only for the reason that the generally tallest buildings are already there, even if the economy is still developing (compared to NYC for example).

But as others pointed out, I'd honestly be curious. Shanghai / Tokyo have their plans and seismic issues. A tower that tall just would overwhelm NYC's skyline even if the city could support it. Chicago might be the only place it could fit but I don't know if the downtown / overall city could handle something of that scale. I think it'd also be not quite right for London, though as was said the city is very important. Edit. Some Chinese city could work. Now which, who knows? Hong Kong perhaps or one of the inland cities. Not Shanghai only because of the master plan.

It's such a tall structure that it's for a change, really hard for even this skyscraper fanatic to realistically envision a place it'd mesh with. But then my mind is also thinking a stretched Kingdom Tower. The design could be totally different and change my opinion.

But wow, if he's even remotely serious about going forward with such an ambitious plan, good luck!
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #71
iveman94

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Moscow is major city in Eastern Europe and one of the most powerful cities in Europe. Also, it's skyline( financial district, I mean) is rather interesting, so, such building maybe could fit it.
Anyway, Moscow is well-known all over the world, that is why we can call it global city, also.
Moscow is nor a global city https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city it's just a typical capital of country with big population. Maybe it was a global city but only 20 years ago. Now there are powerfull European, North American and Asian cities, which affect on all processes that is important in the modern world

Last edited by iveman94; June 19th, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
iveman94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #72
Nikonov_Ivan

According to different ratings-yes, it isn't. But as I've already said, this city is very well-known all over the world, and that is why we can call it global in some ways.
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #73
Alexenergy

Likes (Received): 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveman94 View Post
Ok, but I don't understand what is Moscow doing in this rating. It is not major political cultural or economical centre of the world, not even Europe...
Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal himself told about Moscow, mate

"Right now we are discussing and evaluating the possibility of building a one-mile tower," Mr. Alwaleed told Reuters. "I am now inviting the major cities of the world like Shanghai, Moscow, New York, London and regional cities in the Middle East to come and give their offers."

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...Supertall.aspx
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #74
Nikonov_Ivan

He means that Moscow isn't global city and can't compete with such cities as NY, London, Shanghai etc...
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #75
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4015

It has to be Dubai.

Let the world's great cities continue as they are and lets use Dubai as a human play yard and blank canvas. As a species we could turn it into something that when aliens arrive would blow their minds

iamtheSTIG, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #76
Nubian_Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1603

It would be cool to see it in Moscow, Yekaterinburg or Vladivostok
Nubian_Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #77
Nikonov_Ivan

Especially in Ekaterinburg and Vladivostok " The biggest emptiest skyscraper in the world"

burgund liked this post
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #78
Rckr88

Likes (Received): 90

Interesting to see which cities would accept this 'invitation' and submit an offer for this project
Rckr88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #79
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

I wouldn't be surprised if Moscow had actually submitted an offer or at least willingness to cooperate. Its skyline is very special and I really think such a tower (provided it is still a giant needle) would complement it. Of course, the Russia Tower plot is not big enough to accomodate the tower and there will be height restrictions from the airports

Donodöner liked this post
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #80
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

If this proposal is serious in the first place I think it's obvious it won't be build in new york, london or any european country for that matter. As someone mentioned earlier such place have to meet many different conditions to be right for the project. New york is quite liberal for construction of tall towers but they have zoning plans and height restrictions. There is no place for such tower in this city for legal reasons. Plus it would be tremendously expensive to build it there - it would probably be the most expensive mile tower you can imagine. It's similar in London but unlike in ny in london there is strong local community against tall construction. It's enough to say the shard took something like 10 years till start of the construction. Just imagine the rage caused by the mile tower It's simply not possible there. I won't even mention Paris it's probably even worse than London. If you are following Tour Phare or Hermitage Twins you know what I'm talking about And frankly I think it's good thing that such tower won't be build in those old well settled cities because in all cases it would destroy the skyline. Seriously you need forest of 800m towers around it to make it look even remotely acceptable. I think that to make tower like that well integrated you either surround it with tall towers OR you design large plaza with center exposed location for the tower with nothing tall around. This is what they did with burj khalifa and that looks quite ok. Problem is you can only go with this option if you have large empty areas available like deserts or fields. For this reason I think such tower will rise somewhere in one of the Arabian states or in one of those huge build from the ground up Asian (Chinese?) districts. The other reason why I think it will be build there is that both in Dubai or china public opinion or bureaucracy is not a problem. You will have very little problem relocating all districts of small houses in dubai while in the European city it's not possible. Same, you don't have to deal with nimbys in those places. At least I have never heard of chinese local community blocking a single project. And finally it's a lot cheaper to build those places. I'm sure Saudi prince will not think twice if he will have chose between Pakistan and american worker which get payed 5 times as much.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

KillerZavatar liked this post

Last edited by patrykus; June 19th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote