daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #181
fussbalex

Likes (Received): 21

well i see how sz will have more supertalls than dubai if the fires there keep going on..
fussbalex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #182
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I don't see how Shenzhen can catch up to Dubai anytime soon ... Dubai has 22 completed supertalls while Shenzhen is stuck at 10 .. that without considering all the new U/C supertalls in Dubai. Shenzhen only propose supertalls but when it comes to construction .. its another story
Shenzhen has 14 supertalls u/c right now, check the supertalls subforum And another 13 at prep stage! Dubai is peerless by the moment supertallwise, but there is no need to underrate Shenzhen

Sorry for the city vs city posts.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #183
saiho

Likes (Received): 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Think long term, the Chinese concept is not about a tiny, single-clustered downtown. They are bringing up true mega cities, whose skyscrapers should be scattered across tens of kilometers. Organic skyoceans and endless metro and highway grids called to host 20, 30 or even 40 million inhabitants. Forget about 2020 or 2025, these masterplans are being developed for good and won't be redeveloped till the very end of this century. How do you imagine Shenzhen say by 2067? My conclusion: give me supertalls anywhere, everywhere, and tons of them.
The problem is that many Chinese cities envision skyscrapers should be spaced out tens of kilometers. I not saying Chinese cities should be like Toronto or Chicago where the skyline is basically a few sq km. However they should not be like Tianjin or Hefei where the skyline is essentially urban sprawl with a lots of small clusters of tall buildings here and there. They are not organic or interesting too. Being that they are built on farmland and planners have a tabula rasa to work with; These new CBDs are so sterile and repetitive, with the most egregious examples of Chinese overplanning. Large blank slates with no restrictions give blank, unfocused and uninspiring designs and skylines.

In fact I think Shenzhen's organic skyocean is directly caused by the restrictions from airports funneling all the demand into a general area and focusing on infill and brownfield developments. You know, creating an interesting ocean requires all the water to be in one general place with many barriers on where the water can go. It can be a spatially large vast place with many coves, bays, estuaries and fjords but still one interesting contiguous place. Spread out the water over a flat plate it would just be a non-impressive bland nebulous mist and puddles. Chongqing, Guangzhou and Shanghai all have good focus in their skylines and have created a organic skyocean due to proximity of their airports and natural constraints. Tianjin does not have a skyocean despite its fairly impressive inventory of buildings. If Goldin Finance 117, CTF Binhai, Sino Steel, Powerlong, Tianjin WTC and Roserock were at least close enough to each other so that it is possible to get most of them together in a shot wherever you are in the city then you would have a killer skyline.

I would also imagine it would still work out pretty well logistically. Tokyo is fairly centralized and is very livable and economically functional. In fact Tokyo's centralization created the need for the impressive transport system to feed it and and the other way around too (transport and geography are chicken and egg scenarios). I'll end my rant with this: constraints are not necessarily bad things and true beauty can be found from the ingenuous ways engineers and planners use to get around them. How do you imagine Shenzhen say by 2067? Somewhere where I can film Bladerunner 3. Those organic skyscraper forests with elevated expressways and subways weaving in between them are not going created from a blank slate with no restrictions.

nawat001 liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:00 AM   #184
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Really? I think its great that the airport is pushing all the tall development into a corner. Shenzhen's weakness is that it really does not have any good focal point in its skyline with everything being all spread out already. If the airport didn't exist Shenzhen's skyline would have sprawled up 50 km the east coast of the the Pearl River between Humen and Luohu. That would not make a very impressive skyline even with the huge, possibly world leading, numbers of highrises, skyscrapers and supertalls. I would bet the huge proposals behind the Caiwuwei Center, China Gate and the Hubei Old Village Redevelopment partly stems from the all the cut height (by extension the build up of demand and hubris) from all the other projects. I would rather have a large cluster of megatalls than one or two in each of the CBDs of Shenwan, Qinghai, Futian, and Luohu each.
If the airport didn't exist ,Shenzhen may already have many megatalls,even gigatalls.but now,the height restriction is really annoying.
This kind of hypothesis means nothing.

whether the airport built in anywhere,the city skyline couldnt sprawled up 50 km.50 km,are you kidding?whcih urban city sprawled up so huge.let alone Pearl River Delta,Golden area,no many places to waste

KillerZavatar liked this post

Last edited by CHINA0086; August 14th, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:37 AM   #185
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINA0086 View Post
This kind of hypothesis means nothing.
Really? I can say the same about this:

Quote:
If the airport didn't exist ,Shenzhen may already have many megatalls,even gigatalls.but now,the height restriction is really annoying.
It is pure height obsessed naivety to assume that all the proposals would go ahead if the Airport didn't exist. Developers are not like "Oh there is no height limit imposed by an airport lets build 20 megatalls." If Shenzhen has the demand to support many megatalls then height restriction over half of the city or not, they will build them. The Airport merely directs the demand not suppress it. Last time I checked constrained cities create the best economics for skyscraper development.
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #186
saiho

Quote:
the city skyline couldnt sprawled up 50 km.50 km,are you kidding?whcih urban city sprawled up so huge.let alone Pearl River Delta,Golden area,no many places to waste.
Tianjin to Binhai is 50km wide creating a very sparse and boring skyline with lots of wasted space in between despite its hefty inventory of buildings. Again my point is I and most people around here prefer a skyline (assuming total floor area of both scenarios are the same) with a more focused footprint of lots +200m, +300m, etc. buildings a la Guangzhou or Chongqing than a vast spread out skyline of 100m buildings like São Paulo.

Braillard liked this post
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #187
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Really? I can say the same about this:
Yes,my point is both of your and my hypothesis are all meaningless.

because every coin has two sides.you cant ignore the disadvantages from the airport.

Last edited by CHINA0086; August 14th, 2017 at 08:28 AM.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #188
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15915

Quote:
Tianjin to Binhai is 50km wide creating a very sparse and boring skyline with lots of wasted space in between despite its hefty inventory of buildings. Again my point is I and most people around here prefer a skyline (assuming total floor area of both scenarios are the same) with a more focused footprint of lots +200m, +300m, etc. buildings a la Guangzhou or Chongqing than a vast spread out skyline of 100m buildings like São Paulo.
You can't compare Shenzhen with these cities or with anything we have seen before. Shenzhen will have up to 500x200-800m within a few decades, and thousands of 100m+ . The skyocean is the only way

KillerZavatar, Ch.W, terpi liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #189
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
You can't compare Shenzhen with these cities or with anything we have seen before. Shenzhen will have up to 500x200-800m within a few decades, and thousands of 100m+ . The skyocean is the only way
I am not comparing size I'm comparing spatial distribution and urban form. A skyocean can still co-exist with an airport. The Neiguan area were most of Shenzhen's skyscrapers are has about 200km^2 of flat land. That's 20 times larger than Midtown Manhattan. You can easily fit 500 +200m buildings with plenty of room to spare. There is plenty of room for Shenzhen to build great skyscrapers. That doesn't even include the Shenzhen North Station area and the subcenters of Yantian, Longgang, and Pinghu.
Old August 17th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #190
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
I don't see how Shenzhen can catch up to Dubai anytime soon ... Dubai has 22 completed supertalls while Shenzhen is stuck at 10 .. that without considering all the new U/C supertalls in Dubai. Shenzhen only propose supertalls but when it comes to construction .. its another story
They are in the same league of 200m+ Skyscrapers. Nr.1 and 2 in the world.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote