daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #1
mapedia

Likes (Received): 6

Mapedia: Architecure Map

Hey, I and a friend have been working on a WIKI based map called Mapedia, our website can be found at..

Mapedia

Mapedia has a strong focus on History and Heritage, though we will entertain ANY kind of map with some kind of educational dimension to them. We have developed a pretty cool classification system, meaning we can create Maps with themes (Architecture!) and then allow users to filter the map based on certain criteria.

To get the ball rolling, we have linked into Wikipedia's Articles (many of which have locations...), and we have created a map of Architecture, focusing on UK/English speaking nations. The aim is to cover all periods, from Prehistory, to 21st current developments.

The map is not intended to be purely created by us, it IS a WIKI map, so locations can be added by users and in future we hope the Wikipedia sources to locations are added to (in a big way) by users of Mapedia.

So, right now we are putting the finishing touches to our Options system, and we want to put in place an accurate and yet flexible classification of British Architectural Periods/Styles, and for this, we certainly need and welcome help. My thoughts right now are to classify via Periods (Prehistory, Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Norman etc...) at the top level, with Styles and Sub-Styles fitting into those periods. If a period warrants being broken down into smaller Sub-Styles, and if other criteria are important (i.e. building is ruined, or no longer exists..) then again we can add Options for these. By default a Map will display ALL locations of a default Option. This is to avoid swamping the map with too many results. But you can simply switch Options to see what you want (or not..).

Please check out Mapedia, and Search our Architecture map. Use the button, top left, marked Pick Location Type to pick the History & Heritage Topic, and in there you will find the Architecture Type. Once selected, press Search and it will show the Architectural locations. The periods represented are limited right now, and not categorized, but that will change...

Please give it a whirl and let me know what you think

Cheers

Chris Thomas
Mapedia

Last edited by mapedia; June 19th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
mapedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #2
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10743

Interesting, sounds like a useful tool, will look into it.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #3
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15099

At first I thought this was spam but this is actually really interesting, thanks for posting!
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
mapedia

No problem. I'm not a spam bot . Any feedback or issues with the site. Ideas, questions, whatever. Please let me know. The site is based on collaboration, so user feedback is our lifeblood.

Cheers

Chris Thomas
www.mapedia-uk.net
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9806

My feedback: I wish your website supported Opera too.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
mapedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
My feedback: I wish your website supported Opera too.
As do we... the problem is, our site crashes Opera, so that leaves us very little to go on, in terms of fixing the issue. If the Browser crashes, before we can see the issue, there is very littler we can do about it.

We have reported the crash to them, several times, but so far, nothing... We are aware that Opera are changing their rendering engine to Webkit (as used in Chrome, Safari, Konqueror) and when they do so, that should solve the problem. So I guess they are beavering away on that goal for now.

In the meantime, please give it a whirl on Chrome, Safari or IE10+ and let us know what you think.

Chris Thomas
www.mapedia-uk.net