daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #1
Myrtonos

Likes (Received): 9

MISC | Double decker trams

Double decker trams were once common the the British Isles and were also used in some other places, most notably Hong Kong and Alexandria. First of all, if you are from outside the British Isles, could you post pitcures of double decker trams that once ran your country and give some information about them.
Secondly, given that double decker busses are still produced new and so are double decker trains, will double deckers ever return to the tram supply market. Would any pivoting bogie low floor tram designs adapt to double deck constructions without undue difficulty?
Myrtonos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #2
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

What was the disadvantage of double decker trams that led to their near disappearance? What are there pro's and con's? I guess just as double decker buses are uncommon and trams are more uncommon than buses, double decker trams would be even more rare.

I understand double deckers exist where articulated buses wouldn't fit on the streets. A street that has a tramway on it these days can probably fit an articulated vehicle. Also the wires have to be taller, right?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Wasn't there a proposal for a double decker articulated tram for Stockholm?

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
Wasn't there a proposal for a double decker articulated tram for Stockholm?
That wasn't quite a proposal. It was a design study made by (industrial design iirc) students at a university in Sweden. It was pretty darn sweet tho.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dj4life liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
What was the disadvantage of double decker trams that led to their near disappearance? What are there pro's and con's? I guess just as double decker buses are uncommon and trams are more uncommon than buses, double decker trams would be even more rare.
I would guess the two biggest cons would probably be access wheelchair users and people with disabilities, and the amount of time needed to go off and on on the trams at stops. Of course you also now have the added factor of few if any producing them any longer.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Myrtonos

But your comments apply to buses yet double decker buses are still produced new. Mind you that wheelchair users only represent a small portion of PT users and quite rightly so, most PT users have no difficulty climbing to the upper deck, so a good solution would be for wheelchairs themselves to be able to climb the stairs, such as this one.
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #7
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

The maximum length of buses is generally limited by law, and maneuverability in traffic. For trams, it's simply more practical to add capacity by increasing the length rather than using double deckers.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Myrtonos

The length of trams is still limited, if they are too long, part of the tram would be stopped across an intersection during dwell times. So double deckers still have advantages in terms of length.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

The positive is that it will give more space on the road compared to a single deck one. Just as it is with double deck buses.
So if you have a high frequency line that goes through a congested road, it might make sense to use it. But many of those tram lines use a separated track, so the need is not there.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtonos View Post
But your comments apply to buses yet double decker buses are still produced new. Mind you that wheelchair users only represent a small portion of PT users and quite rightly so, most PT users have no difficulty climbing to the upper deck, so a good solution would be for wheelchairs themselves to be able to climb the stairs, such as this one.
Keep in mind that some places have requirements for full access to wheelchair users. They may make up a small minority of the users, but they still require the needed access.

Last edited by Galro; June 19th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #11
Minato ku

Paris tried double decker buses between 1968 and 1977.
The longer dwell time was the main problem, they also found that passengers didn't use the all space in the bus.

Paris had some double decker trams in the end of the 19th century early 20th for long distance routes.
http://www.amtuir.org/05_htu_tw_pari..._tw_03_021.htm
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #12
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Paris tried double decker buses between 1968 and 1977.
The longer dwell time was the main problem, they also found that passengers didn't use the all space in the bus.
Stockholm had the same issues with them when they were tested.
/the transit museum still has one, runs sometimes during the summers to the museum for free.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:20 AM   #13
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Some pictures of these trams:

(c) Alstom

(c) Alstom

(c) Alstom
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #14
flapane

Likes (Received): 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtonos View Post
Double decker trams were once common the the British Isles and were also used in some other places, most notably Hong Kong and Alexandria. First of all, if you are from outside the British Isles, could you post pitcures of double decker trams that once ran your country and give some information about them.
Here's a wonderful picture I took in Birkenhead