daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #41
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
Just a question MW, what word would you use to describe this?
image hosted on flickr

VA5_7272 by FOSM, on Flickr
I'll answer this question:

The architectural components are all wrong. The column shafts are cylindrical with no entasis (taper), the entablature overhangs the column capitals, etc. It looks more cartoon-like.

I've attached this drawing that I did of the classical orders. notice all the components that are shown for the Corinthian Order, notice the alignments between those components, and notice the scale and proportion of the various components.

And a larger image of the same:

Last edited by MRouchell; June 26th, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #42
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

Compare that to this arch, which is also a similar triumphal arch in the Corinthian Order. The green color is odd, but compare the proportions and components to the recently built arch.

image from tripadvisor.com

Chimer, Giorgio liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #43
M.W.

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:

I'll tell you one thing about that arch, for all that others have correctly pointed out that other arches are far more beautiful in design: It's still better than those two soulless, oppressively boring concrete-and-glass boxes behind it to either side.

In fact, if the neighbourhood were all reconstructed in a more historical style and those hideous, brutalist boxes gotten rid of, the arch would look much more at home.

IMO, almost the very the worst of neohistoricism is still better than the supposed "best" of modernism.

Incidentally, I actually think that the worst faults of that arch are the columns that are half-embedded in the walls and don't extrude as they should, and its colour scheme, with the beige trim against white and the copper-coloured statues. I bet that with the patina of age and/or a paint job, it would look considerably better. But the half-embedded columns are the most obvious shortcoming. If you're going to have pilasters, they should be flat; but if they're going to be round, then they should extrude, as in the green arch posted above.

WallyChops liked this post
M.W. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #44
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
I'll tell you one thing about that arch, for all that others have correctly pointed out that other arches are far more beautiful in design: It's still better than those two soulless, oppressively boring concrete-and-glass boxes behind it to either side.

In fact, if the neighbourhood were all reconstructed in a more historical style and those hideous, brutalist boxes gotten rid of, the arch would look much more at home.

IMO, almost the very the worst of neohistoricism is still better than the supposed "best" of modernism.

Incidentally, I actually think that the worst faults of that arch are the columns that are half-embedded in the walls and don't extrude as they should, and its colour scheme, with the beige trim against white and the copper-coloured statues. I bet that with the patina of age and/or a paint job, it would look considerably better. But the half-embedded columns are the most obvious shortcoming. If you're going to have pilasters, they should be flat; but if they're going to be round, then they should extrude, as in the green arch posted above.
No offense to you, but I think the arch is a fu**ing disaster in taste! As much as I deplore the two bastards in the background I honestly think the arch is almost as bad. If you are going to use classical orders in buildings you MUST adhere to correct proportions etc, otherwise it's just a sham.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote