daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Misc. Infra Projects



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 162 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #681
SSCaddict
Sagar
 
SSCaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5,263
Likes (Received): 47

i thought mundra was busier than Mumbai
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #682
Raji7373
Registered User
 
Raji7373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai - My ever loved city
Posts: 1,378
Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCaddict View Post
i thought mundra was busier than Mumbai
Mundra does not figure in top 100 even.

Check this below link...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=333

Only two Indian ports have figured in Top 100 - Mumbai & Chennai.
Raji7373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #683
SSCaddict
Sagar
 
SSCaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5,263
Likes (Received): 47

very strange!!
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #684
Naresh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,180
Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma1978 View Post
So effectively - it makes sense to have 10-15 efficient "smaller" efficient ports with capacity to spare than one giant port that's basically - as is the case of Gwadar - redundant!! Its enough to make you ponder. I do hope with the renaissance in BIHAR and Uttar Pradesh(more limited) - that the so called failed states - would start contributing to the said demand significantly - putting more efforts into getting larger capacity additions to our ports!! I'd say 20 years to get there - and provided no more Lalus or Deve Gowdas rise to put brakes!
sixsigma1978 Ji :

Very well put!

Thanks

Cheers
Naresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM   #685
ferrari_fan
Forza!
 
ferrari_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,161
Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCaddict View Post
very strange!!
That list only considers the volume of Containers handled by ports..

I'm guessing a lot of Mundra's cargo is not container-ised..
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:20 PM   #686
SSCaddict
Sagar
 
SSCaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5,263
Likes (Received): 47

Parliament panel for enhancing capacity of major port

Quote:

Expressing concern over shrinking share of Centre-owned ports in cargo handling, a Parliamentary panel has asked the government to give adequate attention and policy support to ports for offering better facilities.

Lauding efforts of minor ports, that have grabbed 35% share in cargo handling in the country from a mere 5% in 1999, the panel said, "This only implies that government's policies has not allowed major ports to grow."

The committee is of the view that the rate of cargo handling capacity growth is far greater in case of private ports than that of major ports, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, chaired by Sitaram Yechury, said.
"The major ports should get adequate attention and policy support from the government to improve their efficiency and competency," it said.

The total volume of traffic handled by all the Indian ports during 2009-10 was 849.9 million tonnes, of which non-major ports accounted for around one-third of the total seaborne trade.

As per the Shipping Ministry the growth in cargo handled at major and mon-major ports in 2009-10 was 5.8% and 35.4% respectively compared to 2.2% and 3.3% in 2008-09.

India has 13 major ports, which are owned by the Centre, and 187 state government-controlled minor ports along the 7,517 km long coast line of the country.

These ports account for handling 90% of the country's international trade by volume and 70% by value.

The panel recommended that government should make efforts that the major ports too offer facilities, cargo clearance etc in a hassle free manner on par with minor ports.

The government in January this year had unveiled a new policy for the shipping sector that entailed an investment of Rs 5 lakh crore by 2020 to take the ports capacity to 3,200 MT and bring in major reforms in the space.

Of the Rs 5 lakh crore investment proposed in the sector, Rs 3 lakh crore would be in the port sector.

The major ports in the country are -- Mumbai, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust, Kolkata (with Haldia), Chennai, Visakhapatanam, Cochin, Paradip, New Mangalore, Marmagao, Ennore, Tuticorin, Kandla and Port Blair.
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #687
SSCaddict
Sagar
 
SSCaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 5,263
Likes (Received): 47

Krishnapatnam Port sets all India record for coal discharging

Quote:

Krishnapatnam Port has set an all India record for discharging 71,587 tonnes of steam coal in just 24 hrs using the conventional unloading system.

According to e mail statement received by COALspot.com from Krishnapatnam Port, vessel MV Pedhoulas Trader carrying 77,005 tonnes called at Krishnapatnam Port on March 19th 2011. The discharging was completed in just 29 hours 50 minutes and sailed on March 21st 2011.

This feat surpassed Krishnapatnam Port’s previous record of 57,564 tonnes which was also an all India record then and was established barely a few days earlier on March 12, 2011 for vessel MV. Yusho Spica.

This achievement stands out as the fastest discharge rate, using conventional system, in the history of any port in India & possibly in the world. Krishnapatnam port has become synonymous for series of record shattering performances. One of India's largest and fastest growing ports, Krishnapatnam Port is swiftly developing into a major Coal hub of India.

The port has state of the art cargo handling equipments for quick turnaround of vessels making Indian exporters & importers globally competitive.

Apart from its strategic location, Krishnapatnam Port connects demand with supply, industry with port, rail & road with port and capital with business in a harmoniously mutual beneficial manner.
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #688
GJ10
Registered User
 
GJ10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,544
Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan View Post
That list only considers the volume of Containers handled by ports..

I'm guessing a lot of Mundra's cargo is not container-ised..
Spot on

In terms of container traffic Mundra only reached the 1million teu mark very recently, so still behind Mumbai and Chennai in that regard. May be in the current top 100 however, depending on extent of slowdown in other countries since that last list was compiled.

Anyway, some ship building news...

Gujarat chalks out development plan for shipyard cluster in Dahej

Quote:
The government of Gujarat has prepared a development plan for building a shipyard cluster at Dahej in southern Gujarat. The government has approved a fund of Rs 500 crore to develop a marine shipbuilding park on the banks of river Narmada.

In a written reply to a query raised in the state assembly on Monday, Gujarat chief minister, Narendra Modi, who also holds the ports portfolio, informed that the government was proposing a shipyard cluster on the banks of river Narmada.

A marine shipbuilding park is expected to be developed under this cluster in Dahej.

The government has made a budgetary provision of Rs 500 crore for the project. The minister also informed that a development plan for setting up a shipyard cluster near Dahej had been prepared so far.

The move has come as a step towards making Gujarat the shipbuilding hub of India and a global destination in this sector. The shipyards may also attract private sector players with FDI. The govt intends to focus on development of port-based industry and increasing the capacity of ports through PPP option. An investment of around Rs 3400 crore in port-clusters like Dahej and Bhavnagar is expected in a few years.
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #689
CBE_Poonakutty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ10 View Post
Spot on

In terms of container traffic Mundra only reached the 1million teu mark very recently, so still behind Mumbai and Chennai in that regard. May be in the current top 100 however, depending on extent of slowdown in other countries since that last list was compiled.
Mundra's container traffic in FY10 was 295,575 TEU's and not 1 million. It is in their annual report.
__________________
meow
CBE_Poonakutty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #690
Naresh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,180
Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBE_Poonakutty View Post
Mundra's container traffic in FY10 was 295,575 TEU's and not 1 million. It is in their annual report.
CBE_Poonakutty Ji :

This is incorrect.

Mundra Port has Two Terminals i.e. AMCT owned by Adanis (CT2) and MICT owned by Dubai Port World (CT 1)

Lately the Mundra Port Web Site gives Container Traffic only for AMCT.

Herein they are giving information of CT2

Presentation to the Board First Quarter 2009 - 2010

Herein they are giving information of both CT1 (DPW) and CT2(Adanis)

Presentation to the Board Third Quarter 2008 - 2009

For Mundra Port's Total Comntainer Traffic please add both Terminals' Figures.

Your Figures of 295,575 could be the third quarter figure either for CT 1 OR CT2.

As such Mundra Total Container Traffic for 2010-2011 would be close to Two Million TEUs

Cheers
Naresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #691
GJ10
Registered User
 
GJ10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,544
Likes (Received): 658

Yes, Naresh is right.

The annual report for Mundra Port FY10 is available here

The 295k teu figure is indeed for CT2 only

Actual figure for FY10 is 924k teu, as we speak, its almost exactly a year on from those figures, and with even conservative growth rates, should be obvious that at least 1million teu is a reasonable level for FY11. (2million is prob a few years off however)
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #692
CBE_Poonakutty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 0

Oh! I didnt know there are two container terminals there.

The number i quoted is for the full year (FY10 as I have mentioned earlier) for AMCT.

The total capacity will be close to 1 million in 2010 i think. 1 million would have made into top 100 in 2009. Waiting for the ranking for 2010. I hope it makes that list in atleast in 2011 if not in 2010. Mundra will be the third port from India if it does.
__________________
meow
CBE_Poonakutty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:50 AM   #693
Naresh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,180
Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ10 View Post
Yes, Naresh is right.

The annual report for Mundra Port FY10 is available here

The 295k teu figure is indeed for CT2 only

Actual figure for FY10 is 924k teu, as we speak, its almost exactly a year on from those figures, and with even conservative growth rates, should be obvious that at least 1million teu is a reasonable level for FY11. (2million is prob a few years off however)
GJ10 Ji :

1. This is the annual report for Mundra Port 2009 April - 2010 March. thus financial Year 2009.

2. My figure of Two Million TEUs for the Period April 2010 to March 2011 is the total of CT1 and CT2 which are both part of the Port of Mundra though operated by two different entities.

Cheers
Naresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:51 AM   #694
Naresh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,180
Likes (Received): 234

Double Post - Deleted
Naresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:10 AM   #695
Naresh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,180
Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBE_Poonakutty View Post
Oh! I didnt know there are two container terminals there.

The number i quoted is for the full year (FY10 as I have mentioned earlier) for AMCT.

The total capacity will be close to 1 million in 2010 i think. 1 million would have made into top 100 in 2009. Waiting for the ranking for 2010. I hope it makes that list in atleast in 2011 if not in 2010. Mundra will be the third port from India if it does.
CBE_Poonakutty Ji :

The number of Containers handled by the AMCT for the Period April 2010 - Decembr 2010 is 916,000 TEUs and as such the Figure for the full year i.e. April 2010 to March 2011 might be around 1.20 Million TEUs

Cheers
Naresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:16 AM   #696
ferrari_fan
Forza!
 
ferrari_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,161
Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naresh View Post
GJ10 Ji :

1. This is the annual report for Mundra Port 2009 April - 2010 March. thus financial Year 2009.

2. My figure of Two Million TEUs for the Period April 2010 to March 2011 is the total of CT1 and CT2 which are both part of the Port of Mundra though operated by two different entities.

Cheers
Actually, April 2009 to March 2010 would be FY2010 and not FY2009..
ferrari_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM   #697
bonoslack7
Registered User
 
bonoslack7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Paramathi Velur
Posts: 3,934
Likes (Received): 18

The report is for fy2009. The report got published in 2010.
bonoslack7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:58 AM   #698
GJ10
Registered User
 
GJ10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,544
Likes (Received): 658

I honestly dont understand how there is so much confusion here...



From exactly the same link I provided earlier.
GJ10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:16 PM   #699
Naresh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,180
Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ10 View Post
I honestly dont understand how there is so much confusion here...



From exactly the same link I provided earlier.
GJ10 Ji :
There is no confusion.

FY10 : April 2009 to March 2010

FY11 : April 2010 to March 2011

The Figure of 924.2 Thousand is for the AMCT and, in my humble opinion, does not include the figures of Containers handled by the MICT (which is operated by DPW) as in the past the Port performance in respect of containers was given for CT1 and CT2.

I believe that Adani-DPW agreement had a clause that Adanis would not develop another Container Terminal in Mundra Port.

So Adanis created MPSEZ and then built the Second Container Terminal which they operate themselves.

Being based outside India I would request you, if possible, to check with the Mundra Port Authorities and clarify if my supposition of Two Separately managed Container Terminals is correct.

I trust you appreciate that I could be wrong!

Cheers
Naresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #700
CBE_Poonakutty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naresh View Post
GJ10 Ji :
There is no confusion.

FY10 : April 2009 to March 2010

FY11 : April 2010 to March 2011

The Figure of 924.2 Thousand is for the AMCT and, in my humble opinion, does not include the figures of Containers handled by the MICT (which is operated by DPW) as in the past the Port performance in respect of containers was given for CT1 and CT2.

I believe that Adani-DPW agreement had a clause that Adanis would not develop another Container Terminal in Mundra Port.

So Adanis created MPSEZ and then built the Second Container Terminal which they operate themselves.

Being based outside India I would request you, if possible, to check with the Mundra Port Authorities and clarify if my supposition of Two Separately managed Container Terminals is correct.

I trust you appreciate that I could be wrong!

Cheers
Nopes. It is for both container terminals combined. 2009 April to 2010 march is FY10 and not FY09.

It is clearly given in the annual report (for FY10) that AMCT handled 295K TEU's. 924K is not for AMCT alone.
__________________
meow
CBE_Poonakutty no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu