daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #81
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Here's an obvious question though for all the cities thinking about building this beast... Where exactly will you plan on building it? XD Shanghai and Moscow I can see, but London and New York? I'd imagine it would require a lot of floor space and demolishing a block worth of buildings.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #82
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

True. There is close to zero chances to build it ny or london. Not only because of what you mentioned but also workforce cost, nimbys, laws, and many many more.

Till now only Arabic states proved they are willing and capable to build insanely tall on remote areas. So either them or china. There's also Moscow but I'm not sure what are chances here. They can import cheap workforce, and they probably don't have to deal with the nimbys but still I'm not sure if there would be enough will to build it there.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

KillerZavatar, TowerVerre:) liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #83
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i think i like the mock-up most in moscow. the cbd looks so tiny though
I agree, it seems to fit best in Moscow in my view, totally dwarfing everything else in the skyline, looks the most powerful.

TowerVerre:), KillerZavatar liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #84
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
True. There is close to zero chances to build it ny or london. Not only because of what you mentioned but also workforce cost, nimbys, laws, and many many more.

Till now only Arabic states proved they are willing and capable to build insanely tall on remote areas. So either them or china. There's also Moscow but I'm not sure what are chances here. They can import cheap workforce, and they probably don't have to deal with the nimbys but still I'm not sure if there would be enough will to build it there.
Well you could throw it in the Hudson Yards area in NY. Depending on its placement along with the current projects in the area I think it would look a bit better. There's still plenty of space for development there.

But the big thing would be everything else you mentioned, which would probably kill any chances of the project happening here.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #85
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR View Post
Well you could throw it in the Hudson Yards area in NY. Depending on its placement along with the current projects in the area I think it would look a bit better. There's still plenty of space for development there.

But the big thing would be everything else you mentioned, which would probably kill any chances of the project happening here.
I highly doubt that there are any space left for Hudson Yards, after all they broke ground on the site back in December when one of the towers got a major anchor thanks to Coach Inc.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #86
æthær

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetgeneral View Post
I think Shanghai and NYC probably fits with this tower the best. Don't think London needs a Supertall to make it any more famous, and I don't even know why Moscow is on the list. Many bigger cities are bigger than Moscow.
That's just ridiculous: "Don't think London needs a Supertall to make it any more famous". Just no. *facepalm*

"There are bigger cities, which are bigger than Moscow." Well, simple logic tells us that. However, I think you don't quite realize, how big Moscow is. With a population of 11.5 million and 15-17 million in the metropolian area, Moscow is not only bigger than any European city (including London and Paris) but also among the biggest metros and fastest growing cities in the world. If any European city could support such a "hypertall" skyscraper it would have to be Moscow.

I really wouldn't like to see this in New York or London. London is out of question anyway, since its skyline, which currently tops at 310m just can't include a mile high tower. Relative to a 1600m monster, it doesn't make much difference, if the bystanding buildings top off at 300m or 500m, which is why I also object to New York as a choice. Having evolved over a century and gradually growing, its unique and awesome skyline would simply be smashed and destroyed. Actually, I have to admit that I don't want this being built in any (major) Western city anyway, as it would be a painful confession to the vast economic power and influence of those small emirates.

Hopefully, if so, it is built together with a new CBD outside of downtown. I just don't want a beautiful skyline like Shanghai's being dwarfed by such a monster tower. My favorite choice would therefore be a city on the Arabian peninsula, particularly Dubai or Jeddah.
æthær no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #87
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 12936

Out of the four cities mentioned, I think Moscow suits best. Moscow has a very spread out skyline so a large tower wouldn't disturb it as much as it would do in NY or Shanghai. Moscow also needs a big sign to show that it's the biggest city in Europe.

For London I think that this tower wouldn't even be allowed to built. For New York the possibility is also very low.

Shanghai would be the second best option for me. That city is the fastest growing of the four and that tower could be the center of a new area outside of Pudong and the inner city. A good place would be around 20km south east of Pudong and the inner city.
Chrissib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #88
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29025

Chill people ... this tower if was ever built won't be anywhere but Dubai :P
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #89
GammaHamster

Likes (Received): 523

You can pretty much forget about Moscow, our current mayor is not a fan of such things.
GammaHamster está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #90
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post

NYC or London aren't less probable than Moscow, Shanghai or Dubai (though all cities are extremely improbable for this to be actually built). Workforce cost is higher, but so is the revenue from the office space and residential space built. NYC can sell a supertall penthouse for 100 millions. With influence Nimbies can be dealt with (and without influence they can't be dealt with in any countrty). And as to laws, I dunno about London, but there aren't any laws against such tall towers in NYC other than the FAA requirements, but from these requirements exceptions can be granted (and they have been granted multiple times in history).

However, as I said earlier, this is an extremely unrealistic proposal for any city on this planet for this decade. 1600 meters is just way too much above what we currently have and what we currently have under construction. Is it technically possible? Yes. Is it technically feasible? No. Will this be built anywhere in the world in the next 10 years? I bet that not.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #91
HOLABETO

Likes (Received): 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaevus View Post
What? I don't understand your question...

No problem, and ironically, the India Tower compliments One WTC- it looks almost like they flipped OneWTC upside down, copy and pasted it 4-5 times vertically and voila - India Tower.
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:32 AM   #92
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Chill people ... this tower if was ever built won't be anywhere but Dubai :P
How so?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:52 AM   #93
usafarid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

this project is it really or for just discuss???
put me a good answer
usafarid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:22 AM   #94
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I highly doubt that there are any space left for Hudson Yards, after all they broke ground on the site back in December when one of the towers got a major anchor thanks to Coach Inc.
I meant the area in general.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM   #95
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Would love to see this in the United States but...

First off in order for this to be built in the United States the Federal Aviation Administration would have to rescind it's 2,000 foot height limit. I do not see this happening in New York --- especially with the proximity of 3 major airports and their varied flight paths and runway configurations. Simply put there is not enough airspace in New York to accommodate a mile high tower ---- meaning flight paths.

Also, as many others have pointed out an entire city block of primo Manhattan real estate would have to be demolished to accommodate this beast. That alone would make the cost disgustingly expensive.

I could see this thing being built in Chicago before any other US city --- again assuming the FAA rescinds it's height restriction... and if the runway configurations of nearby O'Hare would not be impacted.

Frankly... more than likely this behemoth will end up in China somewhere. Would love to see Shanghai... that is if this middle east prince has the guts and wherewithal to follow through...

My two cents...
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:31 AM   #96
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

China? Maybe. That's my second choice after Arabic state. But I think that would be only possible if they wouldn't have the problem with the tallest tower sponsored by arabs build on their soil. A matter of pride I guess. But sure if not Arabs Chinese can definitely do it.

Also not sure if everyone are aware of it but a guy behind this project is the one responsible for the Kingdom Tower now u/c. So yeah he have the guts to do it (assuming he really want to)
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:35 PM   #97
thazz

Likes (Received): 22

I don't see this thing being built in any of those cities. This monster wont blend in any skyline as it just serves the heigh fetishists. This prince just wants to have the biggest; if you know what I mean.

Last edited by thazz; July 31st, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
thazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM   #98
G.A.M.E.R
My First SSC Anniversary!

Likes (Received): 68

I hope it can build in Dubai
1007m Kingdom Tower, JEDDAH
1001m Burj Mubarak al-Kabir, MADINAT AL-HAREER
838m Sky City, CHANGSHA
638m Signature Tower, JAKARTA
G.A.M.E.R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:12 PM   #99