daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM   #101
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
I somewhat agree. Also London would never allow a design this large to be built. London's airspace is the busiest in the world and a tower like this might disrupt that. I can see a tower like this being built in London in 50 years time. But not now - no way.

London's existing skyscraper compliment the environment - the old with the new. Each and every tower is excellent in design and do not focus purely on height.

If the Saudi prince wants to invest money in London - help fund the Pinnacle! Or built another 1000+ tower to challenge the Shard's title.

In all honesty... I cannot see this being built. Anywhere. Not for a few years. Probably in the NEXT Big financial crisis haha.
Yeah, in London they generally seem to take great care to design new buildings to fit in with their old school architectural neighbors relatively well. The airspace issues are indeed a relevant issue preventing supertall-hypertall proposals.

This concept design floating around this thread actually fits alright in that part of the Dubai skyline in those new renderings. I just can't see something that tall working in the other proposed cities. Throws things too far out of proportion. It needs at least one neighboring building around the height of Burj Khalifa, and some thousand+ footers in the vicinity. Otherwise it just looks absurd.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:17 PM   #102
okan_reyiz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 166

Just ridiculous

Nyc is not an arabic city. Built it in dubai would be better
okan_reyiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:28 AM   #103
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Why do you think that a mile-high skyscraper can only be built in the Mid/East?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:37 AM   #104
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
Why do you think that a mile-high skyscraper can only be built in the Mid/East?
well one thing, for the most part, they have the space.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM   #105
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

My question is this, have any of the cities listed in the title(or any city for that matter) even showed interest in having this built in their city? Honestly, from one continent to the next, there would be huge cost to build difference between them. In NY, this tower might cost $4-5 billion to build versus some where in Saudi Arabia where it might cost $2-3 billion if that. If this is really something the Prince is SERIOUSLY considering, then why would he consider it anywhere else but his home region? Just doesn't make sense to me and it looks more like the great Prince, after Kingdom tower has broke ground, is really just trying to stick his name out there for more, world wide recognition (aka more inve$tor$ in his companies).
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #106
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 12936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
well one thing, for the most part, they have the space.
Which is kind of ironic since one of the purposes of skyscrapers is to save space.

ilovecoffee, Gendo, erbse liked this post
Chrissib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #107
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
My question is this, have any of the cities listed in the title(or any city for that matter) even showed interest in having this built in their city? Honestly, from one continent to the next, there would be huge cost to build difference between them. In NY, this tower might cost $4-5 billion to build versus some where in Saudi Arabia where it might cost $2-3 billion if that. If this is really something the Prince is SERIOUSLY considering, then why would he consider it anywhere else but his home region? Just doesn't make sense to me and it looks more like the great Prince, after Kingdom tower has broke ground, is really just trying to stick his name out there for more, world wide recognition (aka more inve$tor$ in his companies).
Such tower would easily cost more than $10bn almost anythwere in the world.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #108
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post
Which is kind of ironic since one of the purposes of skyscrapers is to save space.
I was about to say the same thing. ;-)
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #109
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Likes (Received): 1527

is this a joke?

1600m towers make no sense in moscow, nyc and london(lol)

they can do one in Shanghai if they plan to build other supertalls and because the skyline of the city is already ruined.

Please don't ruin masterpiece of their own eras, Shanghai is still developing.
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #110
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

London seems a bit off - simply because of the climate. The top of the tower would have 5 months of snow, 8 months of regular 50 mph+ winds and constant windshear at various heights of the tower - a cold front will come through at the bottom maybe as much as half an hour before it hits the top, and a warm front will come through half an hour earlier at the top, all with associated windshear and structural stresses. Anyone familliar with the London climate would know that weather fronts follow each other up in that neck of the woods in a quite rapid succession. Those are all things they would have to keep in mind, and although Emaar has experience building a tower half a mile high, this was in a boring sandbox with an even more boring climate. Imagine a major ice accumulation somewhere near the top of this thing after an April rain storm, and after it warms up, gets loose and crashes a mile down to land on some unsuspecting pedestrian... Going for a supertall like that is fine in a boring desert where nothing ever happens, but in a city like London going above 500 metres will require a completely different set of engineering skills I doubt anyone has ever worked out so far.

With current technology, and wanting to keep the costs somewhat under control, the only logical place for such a building would be in a desert between 15 and 40 degrees latitude. For example the Middle East.
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #111
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post
not when it comes to trophy towers
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #112
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Shanghai looks best asides Dubai, though I would put it in another part of Shanghai. To the NW, perhaps.

Last edited by China Hand; August 24th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #113
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

I see a lot of arguments in this thread, (Me too). But we'll need to see, maybe in the far future it would be ok to build these towers. From 2000-2010 I see something, countries proposed a lot 300-450 towers and taller ones too. But seems like the skyscraper era is now just per 10 years. 2010-2020 is probably 550-700m and after 2020 is going to be 800-1200 or something like that.

China Hand liked this post
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #114
borgo82

Likes (Received): 20

one renders of it in Milano?
borgo82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote