daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM   #481
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Kunming is far away from Cambodia.
Kunming is about as far away from Cambodia as it is from Guilin.
The only thing wrong with Guilin station is they are still building it. Guilin is to be a major interchange between the Changsha-Nanning line and Guiyang-Guangzhou line, with crossovers and backing loops like Coney Island. There were some photos on the HSR thread a while back.
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #482
RockAss

Likes (Received): 2561

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxingren View Post
Kunming is about as far away from Cambodia as it is from Guilin.
The only thing wrong with Guilin station is they are still building it. Guilin is to be a major interchange between the Changsha-Nanning line and Guiyang-Guangzhou line, with crossovers and backing loops like Coney Island. There were some photos on the HSR thread a while back.
Guilin is such an important city for tourism in China, is known not only probably by every single Chinese person, but also for many foreigners, what is strange about it that it feels like it's left far behind Nanning and Liuzhou in Guangxi province in terms of investment.. Personally, I don't know A single project (apart new railway station) happening in Guilin at the moment
RockAss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #483
maginn
maginn

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Station Security: I've just been to Haikou station (the "old" "mainline" station on the sunny peaceful island of Hainan) to buy some tickets. The presence of a small platoon of armed troops on the concourse giving the hairy eyeball to all arriving for the morning boat train persuaded me it might be a good idea not to take a photograph. They did a tour right thru the station buildings while I was there. After the train left they were replaced by riot police with kung-fu sticks.
Speaking of Hainan Province (i'm planning a trip there this summer), any news on when exactly the HSR Hainan Western ring section to Sanya Airport will be open?
I heard some people say end of 2014, but some also report it being good to go in a couple months from now
maginn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #484
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by maginn View Post
Speaking of Hainan Province (i'm planning a trip there this summer), any news on when exactly the HSR Hainan Western ring section to Sanya Airport will be open?
I heard some people say end of 2014, but some also report it being good to go in a couple months from now
2014? It should be end of 2015.

来自我的 HTC One 上的 Tapatalk
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #485
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

NEW Shenyang South rail station

big-dog, Munwon liked this post
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #486
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Suzhou Railway Station / 苏州火车站

image hosted on flickr

PYKtures in Asia 2014 by PYKtures' Life, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

big-dog, dewlin07, Zefire liked this post
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #487
drezdinski

Likes (Received): 7332

It looks very early 1990s, and even more retro when You find Yourself in it.
drezdinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM   #488
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Does this station look like an airport? Well, possibly it does look a bit like the Haikou airport.

No, the taxi didn't drive into the picture, he just decided to park there in my best view between the buses.

Chinese tourists taking photos of each other.

The central courtyard mimics Sanya's "End of the Earth".

Looking backwards up the exit hall to a rake of oil wagons.
.jpg

You'll have to take my word for it, but on the other side of that is a CRH2 waiting to take D7317 to Sanya. These four EMUs a day will keep coming out to the old Haikou west station until the HSR line is finished through Maoming to the channel port, -and- somebody finds a way to safely and quickly break a CRH2 into 4 coach lengths, and remake it again when it comes off the ferry.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM   #489
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
You'll have to take my word for it, but on the other side of that is a CRH2 waiting to take D7317 to Sanya. These four EMUs a day will keep coming out to the old Haikou west station until the HSR line is finished through Maoming to the channel port, -and- somebody finds a way to safely and quickly break a CRH2 into 4 coach lengths, and remake it again when it comes off the ferry.
Is anybody building 4 car trainsets, or 8 car ferries?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:25 AM   #490
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Is anybody building 4 car trainsets, or 8 car ferries?
One thing which I notice is that you rarely see anybody holding hands in pictures of daily life in China. Is China, like India, a little conservative about public displays of affection? In India for example, even married couples refrain from showing affection towards each other. Is it the same there? This is OT but just struck me.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #491
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
One thing which I notice is that you rarely see anybody holding hands in pictures of daily life in China. Is China, like India, a little conservative about public displays of affection? In India for example, even married couples refrain from showing affection towards each other. Is it the same there? This is OT but just struck me.
From my experiences in China...

Young people will tend to hold hands and be very affectionate in public. Especially on the metro lol...
Not so much older/middle aged people. The reasons for this are quite self explanatory I'm sure.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:11 PM   #492
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post

Young people will tend to hold hands and be very affectionate in public. Especially on the metro lol...
Not so much older/middle aged people. The reasons for this are quite self explanatory I'm sure.
I've seen too much of that on my daily ride to work. Maybe there should put up a sign next to "No Smoking" ...

Quote:
Does this station look like an airport? Well, possibly it does look a bit like the Haikou airport.
I remember there's a rail stop in Haikou Airport.

Last edited by big-dog; April 3rd, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:34 PM   #493
maginn
maginn

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I remember there's a rail stop in Haikou Airport.
That would be Meilan railway station.
Sanya Airport should be connected to the high speed rail network sometime this year as well: http://news.huochepiao.com/2012-12/2012121315190542.htm

big-dog liked this post
maginn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #494
little universe
A Living Sculpture

big-dog, Slagathor, dewlin07, Zefire liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #495
little universe
A Living Sculpture

big-dog, SAS 16, Slagathor, dewlin07, Zefire liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #496
big-dog

I was taking G1232 Shanghai-Shenyang yesterday. Hongqiao station was so crowded (even before 7AM Saturday) that it took me 20 minutes to pass security check. I will post some pictures when I get back to Shanghai.

Pansori liked this post
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #497
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
I was taking G1232 Shanghai-Shenyang yesterday. Hongqiao station was so crowded (even before 7AM Saturday) that it took me 20 minutes to pass security check. I will post some pictures when I get back to Shanghai.
Please do!

I was in Hongqiao once (that was almost two years ago) and that wasn't peak time. I was surprised how busy it was back then. It's clearly going to have capacity issues very soon if it doesn't yet. I wonder if planners kept it in mind? Or are there plans to expand it (and other stations)? It would be bad if a brand new rail system with brand new stations would start running into capacity constraints just a few years after it was opened.

Or perhaps they would change the system of how poeple are moving in the station i.e. airport style security checks which create additional obstacles for people to move around the station seamlesly.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #498
big-dog

maybe partly because this is a long weekend. Compared to 2 years ago there are now more HSRs routes starting from Hongqiao Station, i.e. Shanghai to Northeastern cities (Shenyang, Dalian, Harbin etc) and Shanghai to South (Ningbo, Shenzhen, Xiamen etc), which contributes to a more crowded Hongqiao Station.

There will be more HSR routes using this station in a couple of years so it has to be able to hold more people. I believe there are rooms to improve in terms of passenger traffic control. Hope it doesn't sacrifice too much of passenger boarding time.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #499
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post

What I heard is even in nightclubs in China, you don't have the kind of explicit and bump and grind dancing so common in the USA or Europe.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #500
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
What I heard is even in nightclubs in China, you don't have the kind of explicit and bump and grind dancing so common in the USA or Europe.
You should come to China to see it. I'm sure kix111 has enjoyed lots of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Please do!

I was in Hongqiao once (that was almost two years ago) and that wasn't peak time. I was surprised how busy it was back then. It's clearly going to have capacity issues very soon if it doesn't yet. I wonder if planners kept it in mind? Or are there plans to expand it (and other stations)? It would be bad if a brand new rail system with brand new stations would start running into capacity constraints just a few years after it was opened.

Or perhaps they would change the system of how poeple are moving in the station i.e. airport style security checks which create additional obstacles for people to move around the station seamlesly.
here are some pictures I took on Saturday.

this is 7am Saturday morning

crowd up from ground and metro levels

fast food store crowd

down to platform

my train

trains on other platforms

on the left its G1232 Shanghai-Shenyang, on the right its G7186 Shanghai-Huainan East, both are new routes opened not long ago