daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #61
D.Iv

Likes (Received): 6050

Great, great, great pictures and nice memories from Italy.
D.Iv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:50 PM   #62
Vaidas

Likes (Received): 112

Time for an update

A few shots from the coast. The northern coastline of Tuscany is quite urbanised. Starting from Viareggio (which is famous for its Carnival, the nightlife and shipbuilding), the towns of Lido di Camaiore, Forte dei Marmi, Marina di Massa and Marina di Carrara form an almost uninterrupted urban area.

Sunset on the pier of Viareggio. In Pisa the town is known as the party capital, with many Pisani heading to the seaside on Friday and Saturday nights.

207. The port of Viareggio, housing at least several makers of luxury yachts.

COmountainsguy liked this post
Vaidas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:52 PM   #63
Vaidas

211. The pier of Lido di Camaiore, some 5 km to the North.

Old December 1st, 2013, 11:53 PM   #64
Vaidas

A few shots from Massa Marittima in central Tuscany.

COmountainsguy, satama liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #65
Vaidas

The landscapes near Pisa

225. A small church in the village of Caprona.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:32 AM   #66
Vaidas

230. There are plenty of sunflower fields in this area, which I found quite strange - the local cuisine uses predominantly olive oil and I can't really think of any other major uses for sunflowers.

231. River Arno is prone to flooding in the wetter months of the winter. To protect the fields and villages, the river banks are followed by a 2-3 metre levee all along. There are narrow paths on top of these levees which are extremely popular with runners and bikers in the summer months. In some cases, such as this, the levee is built a fair distance from the river, giving it a much bigger reservoir in case of flood. Monti Pisani are seen in the background.

232. The view from the top of Monti Pisani. In the valley the city of Lucca can be seen, whereas Alpi Apuani dominate the horizon.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:40 AM   #67
Vaidas

Some shots from Alpi Apuani in Northern Tuscany.

234. XI century stone arch bridge Ponte della Maddalena, also known as Ponte del Diavolo over river Serchio and near the town of Borgo a Mozzano.

235. Lago di Vagli, formed by a dam in 1953. The lake flooded a small village called Fabbriche di Careggine, the remains of which can be seen when the reservoir is drained for maintenance. This must be a very interesting sight, however, a rarely seen one, since this is done only once in 10 years or so. The inhabitants of the village were relocated to the newly built settlement of Vagli Sotto.

237. And here is the dam itself, with public access (not a very common case, in my experience). The wide angle lens distorts the real scale of this structure, but I have to say it's a bit of a strange feeling walking on the top and realising how much water is retained by this structure

Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #68
Vaidas

240. The views from Monte Corchia. These areas are knows as the source of the white Carrara marble. Unfortunately, the quarrying really seems to have gone out of hand, with whole mountaintops being slowly removed (see the centre-left of the photo) .

241. Monte Corchia (1677 m.). The winding road leads up to a height of around 1100 m.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:47 AM   #69
Vaidas

246. A close-up of the destroyed mountain

247. The view to the South. Tyrrhenian sea.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:56 AM   #70
Vaidas

249. The last bunch of photos were all done on the 10th of August - around the peak of the Perseid meteor shower. I was scanning google maps for a decent, remote place at a high altitude to be able to watch and photograph it without much disturbance. I was extremely happy when I found this road leading to Monte Corchia since it seemed small and remote enough not to attract huge crowds. And how wrong was I - as soon as the Sun went down, tens of cars arrived to this "quiet" spot, constantly ruining my night vision with their headlights, not to mention the bunches of inconsiderate flashlight-sporting morons looking for a good place to sit or lie down and watch the show.

250. In any case, I tried to use every dark moment and capture some Milky Way shots above Pisa and Livorno...

251. ...as well as Monte Corchia

252. My colleague's set-up

253. After quite a bit of effort to protect it from the stray light I managed to set-up my camera for a 66-minute shoot of the star rotation above the peaks of Alpi Apuani. Managed to get a few meteors as well

COmountainsguy, Filandon liked this post