daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #181
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNshenzhen View Post
Mmm, true that many of these Chinese cities have thousands of ~100 m apartment blocks, but these are never covered anyway on this forum. We focus (mostly) on the supertalls, then on the 200m+ skyscrapers, and just one Shenzhen has more of those done or under way than whole Europe incl UK.

Secondly, these apartment blocks are usually in better shape and livelier than any Western public housing developments, with 24 hour shopping and related activities at bottom 2 - 3 floors, so whole streets have that 'super shopping boulevard' appearance. Of course, the locals' hygiene and other related traditions leave a lot to be desired, but look, so do many areas of London where good old Brits are no more to be found, isn't it?

Third, other skylines like Kuala Lumpur or Singapore have very good quality apartment towers, done by world's top architects, that nicely complement their office buildings and are in no way inferior to the best on the western hemisphere..

As for London, yea I do agree - in fact it doesn't need any skyline to prove its worth, in particular that self-governed Square Mile of bankers: anyone researching US Fed ownership would know that it is still controlled in a big chunk by London banking families... and who controls the money, controls the wars and everything else - so much for real US independence after 1776 huh, not to mention the financing backgrounds of murderous Bolsheviks against Russia, or both world wars etc.
No one focuses on the thousands of ~100m appartment blocks in developing countries in Asia like China and Thailand because theyre ugly and repetitive. They actually detract from the skylines in those countries because of how run down and poor many of them look.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #182
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

Yes, but nothing beats our Singapore's HDB block's repetitiveness... Toa Payoh and Clementi and Kallang, for instance, with all identical old point blocks and slabs, and even many new HDBs, save Design-and-Build, are also repetitive. Bishan was a bit of departure from that earlier...

Come to Shenzhen, and you'll see that every housing block is different and, unlike our 'gigantic dormitories', every development has its own substantial retail, security, common plaza etc.

Anyway, neither of them is worthy detailed coverage here - important thing is that, in the case of SZ, those ~ 33-storey (ahh a freemasonic number, must be the result of Milton Keynes consultancy on Shenzhen plan) condo apartment blocks form a sort of many miles long 'wall' along the Shenzhen Bay above which dozens of much taller towers rise... and much much taller hehe. That's the unique factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
No one focuses on the thousands of ~100m appartment blocks in developing countries in Asia like China and Thailand because theyre ugly and repetitive. They actually detract from the skylines in those countries because of how run down and poor many of them look.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
NNshenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #183
dean87
kedahsejahtera

Likes (Received): 5220

shanghai is the best...
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM   #184
mobus

Likes (Received): 9941

The Gold Coast, Australia

image hosted on flickr

SP by Nur Hadi94, on Flickr
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:42 PM   #185
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Gold Coast is what Miami wishes it could look like. Way less volume and yet a far superior skyline. However, Gold Coast has absolutely no chance of being a Top 10 skyline by 2025, or probably ever. Great silhouette though.
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:22 PM   #186
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Gold Coast is what Miami wishes it could look like.
Not really! Miami is well on the way there with more interesting projects on the drawing board. Gold Coast is what I wish Miami Beach looked like, but strict height restrictions imposed by NIMBYS are what killed that. I think Sunny Isles Beach is the only U.S. oceanfront skyline that approximates it, but there are height restrictions there imposed by the FAA. Miami has a realistic shot at the top 20 by 2025.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM   #187
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Guangzhou in daylight! (to far away and bad Ipad quality) SORRY!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM   #188
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

You see guys? I am not making this stuff up! And bigger projects are already in the works!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/2...proposing.html

Quote:
In anticipation of an eventual sellout in Greater Downtown Miami, South Florida developers have recently filed applications with the Federal Aviation Administration — the governmental entity that governs airspace — to obtain approval to assemble construction cranes within the next 15 months to build a 713-foot-tall tower with at least 60 stories at 600 Biscayne Blvd., a 710-foot-tall tower with at least 60 stories at 700 Biscayne Blvd, and a 610-foot-tall tower with 55 stories at 24 SW 4th St. on the north bank of the Miami River.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

desertpunk, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM   #189
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
You see guys? I am not making this stuff up! And bigger projects are already in the works!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/2...proposing.html
Ok Quantum, let's use your favorite site as a jumping off point (although admittedly it's a year old now):
http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Miami currently sits at #23. Let's take it as a given that Tianjin and Mumbai are in the process of blasting by it in the rankings, and not looking back. That puts it at #25. It also will have its hands full holding off booming cities such as Melbourne, Doha, Istanbul, Dalian, etc. For simplicity, let's pretend that it does. Which 5 cities do you feel it has the best chance at passing by 2025?

Also, this is just a mathematical height/quantity ranking. In style points, Miami is currently lower on most people's lists than almost every city above it, and many below it. I personally still rank it 4th in the Southeast US behind Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Although, there is no denying Miami's current upside is more promising than those 3 cities.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #190
Archaean
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNshenzhen View Post
Yes, but nothing beats our Singapore's HDB block's repetitiveness... Toa Payoh and Clementi and Kallang, for instance, with all identical old point blocks and slabs, and even many new HDBs, save Design-and-Build, are also repetitive. Bishan was a bit of departure from that earlier...

Come to Shenzhen, and you'll see that every housing block is different and, unlike our 'gigantic dormitories', every development has its own substantial retail, security, common plaza etc.

Anyway, neither of them is worthy detailed coverage here - important thing is that, in the case of SZ, those ~ 33-storey (ahh a freemasonic number, must be the result of Milton Keynes consultancy on Shenzhen plan) condo apartment blocks form a sort of many miles long 'wall' along the Shenzhen Bay above which dozens of much taller towers rise... and much much taller hehe. That's the unique factor here.
Unique or not, those apartment blocks in Shenzhen are unsightly and make the city look more like a third world city than it is. Ive been to Shenzhen and saw them first hand. Really wasnt impressed. And no one said the housing blocks in Singapore were special. Thats why no one cares to pay attention to those ones either.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #191
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Ok Quantum, let's use your favorite site as a jumping off point (although admittedly it's a year old now):
http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Miami currently sits at #23. Let's take it as a given that Tianjin and Mumbai are in the process of blasting by it in the rankings, and not looking back. That puts it at #25. It also will have its hands full holding off booming cities such as Melbourne, Doha, Istanbul, Dalian, etc. For simplicity, let's pretend that it does. Which 5 cities do you feel it has the best chance at passing by 2025?
I can't really say. It's a crap shoot. I just think Miami has a good chance at the top 20 based on the momentum it has going for it now with what's on the drawing board, developer interest, and the strength the market has currently. Maybe it will just drop to 25 in the world, if not lower, and stay there. Almost anything can happen 12 years from now. I won't be here to see it anyway. I probably won't be here to see many of Miami's new projects top out, so I'll leave you to have that argument with whomever else wants to.

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:09 AM   #192
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Asian cities absolutely do not dominate the list of best skylines. I really can't say this enough.

Quality over Quantity. You could have a thousand apartment blocks over 150m, but unless there is drama and individual brilliance of design I would always rank much smaller skylines higher in terms of being best.

I absolutely agree that Seattle has a place at the top table of Best skylines.

And again, I never said London is in the top 10 in the world, or even will be in the top 10 in 2025. I am simply defending the idea that just because other cities around the world dwarf London in terms of numbers, does not automatically mean they are have better skylines because of that fact alone. London has a number of buildings of individual brilliance which Miami any city would be lucky to have.

London does need more buildings to build up its skyline, but that is because the city is vast. It does however have height variance and drama that other cities Miami with larger skylines sometimes lack. I do hope that with all of the projects currently proposed in London, it does not lose this.

It might also interest some of you that London has more buildings built and proposed over 150m than Toronto has currently built. By 2025 im sure Toronto will still be miles ahead as it has its own construction boom going on, but I thought I would share that little fact to demonstrate just how much London's skyline is set to change.
London is absolutely irrelevant to this thread, it wouldn't be more relevant if this thread was about top 20 skylines by 2025. It's full of 3-6 stories low-rises. The handful number of short boxy highrises it possesses have no architectural value at all. London looks like a medieval village from above. Please don't spoil this thread by mentioning cities which have no clue about skyscrapers

CarltonHill, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:31 AM   #193
Archaean
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
London is absolutely irrelevant to this thread, it wouldn't be more relevant if this thread was about top 20 skylines by 2025. It's full of 3-6 stories low-rises. The handful number of short boxy highrises it possesses have no architectural value at all. London looks like a medieval village from above. Please don't spoil this thread by mentioning cities which have no clue about skyscrapers
London looks like a village? Please dont spoil this thread by flaunting your attrocious ignorance.

LAYiddo liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:45 AM   #194
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I can't really say. It's a crap shoot. I just think Miami has a good chance at the top 20 based on the momentum it has going for it now with what's on the drawing board, developer interest, and the strength the market has currently. Maybe it will just drop to 25 in the world, if not lower, and stay there. Almost anything can happen 12 years from now. I won't be here to see it anyway. I probably won't be here to see many of Miami's new projects top out, so I'll leave you to have that argument with whomever else wants to.
I don't mean to be combative and I hope that you are wrong about not being here to see it. I think that Miami will assert itself more in the US rankings but the world rankings are a different story. Most US cities are dropping and are going to continue to fall, even the ones that are building. I can tell you that Boston is on the verge of its greatest building boom in the last 30-40 years (or maybe ever) and will probably still end up dropping (although it's going to look pretty jacked up and amazing compared to what it is now).

It's tough to compete when there are countries with over a billion people that are just now coming into their own and trying to make statements with their skyscrapers. I can name half a dozen Asian cities off the top of my head that all currently have buildings at least 1700' U/C. (Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Tianjin, Seoul) Just think, Willis Tower is going to go from tallest roof height in the world to out of the top 10 in under a decade. That's CRAZY. US cities outside NYC just cannot keep up. Heck, even Chicago is in danger of being overtaken by Toronto well before 2025 (and will be harder pressed to stay in the top 10 than many people would expect). I really don't understand how some of these cities can sustain what they are doing.

However, as skyscraper fans, we all win.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:54 AM   #195
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
You know, you do have some valid arguments about London. It is probably a little bit too small to truly belong in this thread.

However, when you say things like this, you come across as either a troll or a complete idiot. Most likely both. It's impossible to put into words how much it undermines your credibility on this issue. Clearly YOU are the person without a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
London skyline photo taken yesterday by forumer potto:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #196
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

London has a 'best skyline' like a lot of other cities not generally regarded in topics like this: dynamic, dense, rich architecturally with vivid shapes and a pleasing balance. Quantity isn't everything folks.

As for Miami, it will just continue to grow and to build regardless of what anyone thinks of it. Over 120 towers in the pipeline and a staggering amount of revived projects from before the crash. One starchitect designed development after the other. By 2015 the city will be a forest of cranes. The airport is a problem for Miami height-wise but that only means the walls of skyscrapers will only be 700-1,000 feet high. Such a terrible pity!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:40 AM   #197
jpsolarized

Likes (Received): 613

I'll do a top 25 for 2025

1. New York
2. Shanghai
3. Hong Kong
4. Guanzhou
5. Beijing
6. Shenzen
7. Mumbai
8. Tokyo
9. Taipei
10. Chicago
11. Kuala Lumpur
12. Bangkok
13. Manila
14. Toronto
15. Moscow
16. Dubai
17. Seoul
18. Mexico City
19. Panama City
20. Miami
21. Melbourne
22. San Francisco
23. Houston
24. Doha
25. Istambul

n20 liked this post
jpsolarized no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #198
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Gold Coast is what Miami wishes it could look like. Way less volume and yet a far superior skyline. However, Gold Coast has absolutely no chance of being a Top 10 skyline by 2025, or probably ever. Great silhouette though.
Miami does not wish to look like nobody else...such an idiotic comment...

miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:15 AM   #199
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

I want to share some best skylines in Europe, I know that they are not so dense to be compared to asian or northen americain ones, but, the quality is high and they seem so clean and lovely.

Francfurt, the financial city of Germany

Paris, the most populated metro in Europe, and also the most touristic city:

Moscow, the capital of the largest country in the world, and also the second most populated metro in Europe:

You've already seen London's skyline.

I took all these photos from the thread about europeen skylines.

n20, psychedelic, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by 7rani; July 23rd, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:26 PM   #200
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10277

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Toronto will not be left behind. So IMO, it is and will still be part of world's top 10.

There is an ongoing construction boom in the city (The biggest in N.America). The number of buildings could almost double in a matter of time.
take a peak at this thread.
It is not the biggest in North America by any stretch of the imagination. Here's the last decade of construction in some North American cities:

TORONTO: 2003-2013
0 new supertalls (300m+)
6 new skyscrapers (200m+) if we count the topped-out 'L' Tower
4 still more skyscrapers still U/C as of today (200m+)
So the 'boom' gives us 10 skyscrapers

NEW YORK: 2003-2013
4 new supertalls if we count the topped-out One57 and 1WTC
15 new skyscrapers (200m+)
1 more supertall U/C as of today (432 Park Avenue), 2 supertalls On Temporary Hold, 1 more in prep and 3 more skyscrapers (200m+)
So the 'NYC decade' gives us 5 new supertalls and 19 new skyscrapers
The New York list appears to be missing a few recent skyscrapers groundbreakings though and I'm guessing the same for Toronto, but the point stands

Others:
CHICAGO 2003-2013
1 new supertall
10 new skyscrapers (200m+)
0 more skyscrapers U/C (I think there's about 2 that are actually U/C that only recently broke ground

PANAMA CITY 2003-2013
0 new supertalls
19 new skyscrapers (200m+)
1 more skyscraper U/C

MEXICO CITY 2003-2013
0 new supertalls
1 new skyscraper (200m+)
3 more skyscrapers U/C as of today

So whichever formula you use, Toronto did not have the biggest boom unless your criteria is most new buildings from 50-100m and even then I'm dubius it would beat Miami, New York or Panama City. And compared to China, Toronto's growth is a pittance really.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline