daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #2061
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
It will be hard to beat Manhattan if all those towers do come into fruition!
It will be hard to beat Manhattan also because no other skyline has the variety of architectural styles it has. We are talking of over 100 years of different styles making a beautiful and eclectic skyline.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #2062
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post
It will be hard to beat Manhattan also because no other skyline has the variety of architectural styles it has. We are talking of over 100 years of different styles making a beautiful and eclectic skyline.
In terms of architectural style, I think only Chicago can compete with Manhattan.

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #2063
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Agree. There are tons of other cities that built skyscrapers 90 years ago, but they didn't build as many or as tall. Most of Toronto's 1920s skyscraper proposals never got off the drawing board or were torpedoed by the Great Depression. Eaton's College Park is the most notable example. Construction stopped after just 7 floors built. Upon completion, it would have become the largest retail and office complex on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I agree, having 50 200m+ towers is the elite league. So far, only New York, Hong Kong and Dubai can claim that. Shanghai is very close. Shenzhen's number will go trough the roof once all those projects get finished. It will be the first city to have 100 towers over 200m.
In 2025 only New York and Shenzhen will have 100 buildings 200m+. Mumbai is a dark horse. They're building like crazy, but the documentation is poor at best.

Another 10 cities will likely have 50 buildings 200m+ by 2025: Hong Kong, Dubai, Shanghai, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Tianjin, Manila, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Toronto.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; November 11th, 2014 at 11:19 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #2064
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'm surprised this future "rendering" of NYC hasn't been posted yet. Credit goes to Xoltage. The only tower I'm not sure about is the thin one between 1 WTC/125 Greenwich and the Empire State Building. 3 WTC is also not quite visible but it may be the angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltage View Post
A tad sci-fi

I'm personally really interested in how Guangzhou will turn out. Jakarta seems to be going through a LOT of construction, but like Manilla I'm not sure it will be able to form a cohesive skyline (but I'm hoping to be proved wrong on this).

WingWing, Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by bodegavendetta; November 12th, 2014 at 04:13 AM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #2065
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://www.ctbuh2015.com/

The CTBUH has launched its 2015 Conference website. “Global Interchanges: Resurgence of the Skyscraper City” will be held in New York from 26-30 Oct. 2015

Quote:
Conference Synopsis

After a post-recession hiatus in tall building construction in many countries lasting several years, numerous cities in the Americas, Asia, Europe and Australia are again resurgent. Nowhere is this more evident than in New York, where several new urban typologies are developing simultaneously. In addition, the increasing importance of both resilient infrastructure in the face of mounting climate change, as well as quality public space, are adding to a fascinating mix.

Yet the flow of capital enabling many of these projects is complex, and shows an interconnectedness of cities. Developments in Sydney are as likely to be driven by forces from Shanghai as locally, Canadian pension funds are enabling several tall buildings in London, and Middle East capital seems, once again, to be everywhere. Also, after a decade or more of unprecedented vertical growth in Chinese cities, China is now investing in myriad urban centers around the world. The New York conference will explore what this all means for the future of the skyscraper. Join us to find out more.
[...]
Quote:
Conference Skyline
The initial 50 buildings for the conference skyline are shown below. As with previous years, this skyline will be modified as the event grows closer. Be sure to get involved in the conference now to have your say on which buildings will be included in the final list. Buildings in the skyline must be completed, under construction, or firm proposals since 2013. They must also be iconic projects that challenge current notions of tall building design in terms of form, performance, engineering, programming, or some other factor.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #2066
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22547

NYC is dominate.

15. Manhattan West Office Towers x2 995 ft
22. One Vanderbilt 1514 ft
23 111 w 57th Street - 1397 ft+
25. 225 w 57th street - 1775 ft
26. 30 Hudson Yards ~ 1280 ft, 10 Hudson Yards 905 ft
28. 53w53rd [Tower Verre]
39. 4 WTC - 977 ft (built)
40. One57 - 1005 ft (built)
43. 432 Park Avenue - 1397 ft (t/o)
45. 1 WTC - 1776 ft (built)

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #2067
isaidso
the new republic

Nice list.

Btw, 1 WTC is 1368 ft with a 408 ft antennae attached to it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old November 15th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #2068
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22547

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nice list.

Old November 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2069
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
It's an honest over sight. No big deal.

Old November 15th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #2070
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8763

Last edited by KlausDiggy; November 15th, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #2071
eibomz
Registered Frankfurtian

Likes (Received): 7117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
NYC is dominate.

15. Manhattan West Office Towers x2 995 ft
22. One Vanderbilt 1514 ft
23 111 w 57th Street - 1397 ft+
25. 225 w 57th street - 1775 ft
26. 30 Hudson Yards ~ 1280 ft, 10 Hudson Yards 905 ft
28. 53w53rd [Tower Verre]
39. 4 WTC - 977 ft (built)
40. One57 - 1005 ft (built)
43. 432 Park Avenue - 1397 ft (t/o)
45. 1 WTC - 1776 ft (built)

What about the metric system? try to get a pro, man!

WingWing, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
eibomz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2072
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Nice list.

The CN Tower isn't even a building. It's 1815' of......double standards??????

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #2073
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Isaidso is one of the most neutral member here imo...he isn't ashamed that toronto doesn't have a supertall.

1 WTC does have a long stick for a spire. Could've made a building with higher rooftop if height was such a necessity

Spire on the Nordstorm doesn't look so fake in comparsion

ChuckScraperMiami#1, WingWing liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #2074
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
What does the CN Tower have to do with isaidso's post in the first place?
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #2075
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Fair View Post
What does the CN Tower have to do with isaidso's post in the first place?
He compares it to buildings, gives it credit for its full height, but refuses to recognize spires while this, in effect, is just a gigantic 1815' spire!

The double standard is that if the spire on 1 WTC doesn't count, then the CN Tower isn't 1815'!

To be honest, I don't really recognize spires either. However, if somebody is trying to pass off an apples to oranges comparison as if it's apples to apples, it's the kind of inconsistency I am likely to point out.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old November 20th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #2076
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
He compares it to buildings, gives it credit for its full height, but refuses to recognize spires while this, in effect, is just a gigantic 1815' spire!

The double standard is that if the spire on 1 WTC doesn't count, then the CN Tower isn't 1815'!

To be honest, I don't really recognize spires either. However, if somebody is trying to pass off an apples to oranges comparison as if it's apples to apples, it's the kind of inconsistency I am likely to point out.

But where did he do it this time? The timing of your post made it seem kind of off-the-wall and out-of-the-blue.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #2077
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
But where did he do it this time? The timing of your post made it seem kind of off-the-wall and out-of-the-blue.
He posts everywhere, just like you, just like me. I'm not going to search through but it was recent. I think it was comparing the CN Tower to 432 Park, saying how CN Tower was well over 100m taller, blah blah, but then turning around and not acknowledging that WTC is only like 15 m shorter than CN Tower, instead saying the spire doesn't count at all. There's the double standard. It just so happens that the last post is where I noticed the inconsistency with the previous one.

Old November 21st, 2014, 01:20 AM   #2078
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
But the two aren't comparable at all. One it's a steel antenna on top of a skyscraper, the other it's a concrete communications and observation tower. The CN Tower isn't a spire or an antenna, so while I don't agree with isaidso, I don't see your point either.
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2079
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
He posts everywhere, just like you, just like me. I'm not going to search through but it was recent. I think it was comparing the CN Tower to 432 Park, saying how CN Tower was well over 100m taller, blah blah, but then turning around and not acknowledging that WTC is only like 15 m shorter than CN Tower, instead saying the spire doesn't count at all. There's the double standard. It just so happens that the last post is where I noticed the inconsistency with the previous one.
Like I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
The timing of your post made it seem kind of off-the-wall and out-of-the-blue.
If you had addressed this where he posted what you're talking about, it would make a lot more sense. How you're posting wouldn't make sense to someone just visting the thread.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old November 21st, 2014, 08:28 PM   #2080
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Nice New York list, but including antennae skews things considerably. For me WTC is a 417m tower with a 124m stick attached to its roof. Likewise, most people count First Canadian Place in Toronto as a 298m tower rather than a 355m super tall (height including antennae).
Is the top of the 1WTC an antenna or a spire? I thought it was considered a spire rather than an antenna.

My photo threads:

Tags
skyline