daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #2181
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
A Toronto skyscraper enthusiast has been hard at work for a while to give us Torontonians a 2014 Christmas present. Here below is a depiction of what the downtown Toronto skyline will look like if all proposals currently on the table get built.
Based on what's under construction now, how many over 200m?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #2182
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

13 built, 8 currently under construction, 19 at the proposal stage. If everything works out as planned we'll go from 13 to 40 200m+ buildings in just a few years. We were only at 8 such buildings 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ Pretty packed i.e. dense if you ask me. It really is time some nice supertalls.
Toronto is still quickly evolving, but this latest batch of proposals will get the downtown to the next level. That's roughly a 4.5 km stretch of high rises one after another shown in that rendering; not bad at all. The number of 100 m+ buildings in the core could double by 2020 to roughly 400 such buildings today.

Btw, the tallest tower depicted to the right of the CN Tower would be a super tall. It was approved at 304m. The skyline could certainly do with 4-5 in the 350 m-450 m category though.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

hunser, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; December 26th, 2014 at 11:16 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2183
isaidso
the new republic

Double post

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 26th, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #2184
michi michi
sleep mode

Likes (Received): 1198

i think even ten years from now the leading skylines would still dominate.
1-2 a toss between HK and NY. both have quantity, height and aesthetics. but if i really have to choose, it's gotta be NY but this is already subjective.
3 shanghai has the density and height and is building more and more supertalls
4-7 chicago has a great skyline already and i dont think it will fall down the rank within ten years. dubai is destined to have more supertalls as well. shenzen and tianjin are growing really fast with massive skylines with several suoertalls UC.
8-10 battle between toronto, riyadh and SEA cities.
KL-easily recognizable skyline with the majestic PTT. the skyline is actually denser and denser and PTT is my fave Scraper in SEA
SG-although small but already very aesthetically pleasing. it will grow more IMO. not to mention very agressive architectures. i mean Marina Bay Sands is my profile pic.
MM-very impressive even without a supertall. doesnt mean it doesnt need one or more. i think if the height limit will be lifted and a very appropriate supertall is built as a centerpiece, it can climb very high on my list.
BKK and JKT has many High rises but are too spread apart currently. if their skyline become dense like KL and MM then they will be a contender for top ten.

my five cents. i only joined SSC just today so i dont know if ive broken rules already.
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #2185
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6740

Fair view

But riyadh? I think Doha or Guangzhou will be a better candidate

michi michi, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #2186
realitybites-u

Likes (Received): 5328

Kuala Lumpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
realitybites-u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #2187
michi michi
sleep mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Fair view

But riyadh? I think Doha or Guangzhou will be a better candidate
yes yes. that is what i was gonna say! i mixed up qatar and KSA cities. doha is what i meant. im not really familiar with middle east. anyway guangzhou is definitely a big contender literally and figuratively but i think my eyes are already saturated with chinese cities. i just want to give other cities in asia esp in the southeast the benefit of the doubt.

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
michi michi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #2188
michi michi
sleep mode

Petronas Twin Towers are my absolute favorite.
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #2189
Hayaki

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by michi michi View Post
1-2 a toss between HK and NY. both have quantity, height and aesthetics. but if i really have to choose, it's gotta be NY but this is already subjective.
3 shanghai has the density and height and is building more and more supertalls
4-7 chicago has a great skyline already and i dont think it will fall down the rank within ten years. dubai is destined to have more supertalls as well. shenzen and tianjin are growing really fast with massive skylines with several suoertalls UC.
8-10 battle between toronto, riyadh and SEA cities.
KL-easily recognizable skyline with the majestic PTT. the skyline is actually denser and denser and PTT is my fave Scraper in SEA
SG-although small but already very aesthetically pleasing. it will grow more IMO. not to mention very agressive architectures. i mean Marina Bay Sands is my profile pic.
MM-very impressive even without a supertall. doesnt mean it doesnt need one or more. i think if the height limit will be lifted and a very appropriate supertall is built as a centerpiece, it can climb very high on my list.
BKK and JKT has many High rises but are too spread apart currently. if their skyline become dense like KL and MM then they will be a contender for top ten.

my five cents. i only joined SSC just today so i dont know if ive broken rules already.
Same opinion here, If Manila will remove the height limit and build a megatall on those dense and compact buildings. I will place it on number 8 or 9 on my top 10 list.

Metro Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by [dx] View Post
Old December 28th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #2190
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Petronas Twin Towers are my absolute favorite.
I didn't like Petronas when it first went up, but it's growing on me. It's certainly an aesthetic suited to that part of the world rather than here. KL's skyline is starting to gel now that it's developing some density. It could still do with a lot more in-fill though.

Old December 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #2191
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
3. shanghai has the density and height and is building more and more supertalls
I love Shanghai and its skyline is impressive.
But unfortunately, besides Shanghai Tower (nearly completed) and Sinar Mas Center (nearly T/O), there are no supertalls in prep.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #2192
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:

I'd bet on NY. Construction in New York thrives while Hong Kong has almost stopped. I'm not sure why. Maybe it'll start up again soon? I've been meaning to look into it for months now

nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2193
michi michi
sleep mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayaki View Post
Same opinion here, If Manila will remove the height limit and build a megatall on those dense and compact buildings. I will place it on number 8 or 9 on my top 10 list.

Metro Manila, Philippines
i think it should be a little bit out of the box. the designs of scrapers in MM tend to be conservative and sophisticated although it works because they're concentrated in one area. look at how PTT changed KL skylines. but not like scrapers in ME. they looked so futuristic.

Quote:
I didn't like Petronas when it first went up, but it's growing on me. It's certainly an aesthetic suited to that part of the world rather than here. KL's skyline is starting to gel now that it's developing some density. It could still do with a lot more in-fill though.
PTT is a very detailed building IMO. it looked cylindrical from pics but it actually has many edges if you looked at it closely. and the bridge is my fave part. am i going off topic? am i breaking rules? i talk too much about PTT. but i agree with you. KL skyline will not be as plausible without PTT IMO. it still needs more density.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I love Shanghai and its skyline is impressive.
But unfortunately, besides Shanghai Tower (nearly completed) and Sinar Mas Center (nearly T/O), there are no supertalls in prep.
i guess i am not up to date with shanghai. i thought something like skycity is UC in shanghai or am i just imagining things? haha. but shanghai would still be my top 3. what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
I'd bet on NY. Construction in New York thrives while Hong Kong has almost stopped. I'm not sure why. Maybe it'll start up again soon? I've been meaning to look into it for months now
NYC is my Top 1 subjectively and i daresay objectively. i saw a photo of NYC with central park in the middle during winter. it was majestic. this is off topic but the movie annie is set in NY. i think i am already spamming the page. will i get banned?

i know i am already spamming but what do you think of SG's skyline. i think it has variety. just look at this photo. i still don't know how to give photo credit, is there a thread about general rules here? anyway, i got this from matadornetwork.com if this will do.

Last edited by QuantumX; December 29th, 2014 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #2194
isaidso
the new republic

Here are a few more angles of that Toronto 2020 rendering. The old CBD will be almost completely blocked from view in a few years:

Traditional lake view

View from the CN Tower looking NNE towards Yorkville

View looking east from City Place

Courtesy of koops65

Last edited by isaidso; December 29th, 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2195
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
PTT is a very detailed building IMO. it looked cylindrical from pics but it actually has many edges if you looked at it closely. and the bridge is my fave part. am i going off topic? am i breaking rules? i talk too much about PTT. but i agree with you. KL skyline will not be as plausible without PTT IMO. it still needs more density.
No, you're doing fine and welcome to SSC. The architecture of Petronas is quite different than what I was used to in skyscraper design. It speaks to the culture in that part of the world and that's what's important imo. I've come to like the design quite a bit; it just took a little time for my north American eyes to warm to it.

Having skyscrapers spread out creates the impression of a bigger skyline, but one sacrifices those gorgeous urban canyons you see in places like New York, Toronto, and Chicago. I suppose it boils down to personal taste, but feel KL will go up a few notches when if it develops a city scape where skyscrapers are packed in like sardines.

Last edited by isaidso; December 29th, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #2196
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
i think i am already spamming the page. will i get banned?
Of course not! As you see, I simply merged your posts.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old December 29th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #2197
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
i still don't know how to give photo credit, is there a thread about general rules here? anyway, i got this from matadornetwork.com if this will do.
After each photo you post give credit to the photographer. I write 'Courtesy of ******' but anything on those lines is fine. If you're posting a rendering super imposed on someone's photo, give credit to both the photographer and the person who did the rendering if you know it.

For Flickr photos the rules are more stringent. You have to copy and paste the whole BBM code. The posted Flickr photo should look like the one below. The line below the photo should appear identical but with different photo name and different photographer name:

East Bound and Down by stephen.dinallo, on Flickr

Last edited by isaidso; December 29th, 2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #2198
michi michi
sleep mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Of course not! As you see, I simply merged your posts.
wow! how did you do that? haha. thanks!

Old December 29th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #2199
michi michi
sleep mode

Quote:
After each photo you post give credit to the photographer. I write 'Courtesy of ******' but anything on those lines is fine. If you're posting a rendering super imposed on someone's photo, give credit to both the photographer and the person who did the rendering if you know it.

For Flickr photos the rules are more stringent. You have to copy and paste the whole BBM code. When viewing a Flickr photo, grab the BBM code. The posted Flickr photo should look like the one below. The line below the photo should appear identical but with different photo name and different photographer name:

East Bound and Down by stephen.dinallo, on Flickr
thankfully my photo did not show up. my photo credit is incorrect. i guess i have to really familiarize myself with ssc first before posting anything here. is that Toronto? AMAZING! btw thanks for answering my questions. i'm already luring you guys into an off topic discussions. ill go read general guidelines now. BRB!

Old December 29th, 2014, 03:32 AM   #2200
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
wow! how did you do that? haha. thanks!
You have to be one of the forum moderators to be able to do that. If you want to quote more than one post, then click on the option in the lower right that has quotation marks and a plus sign. You do that for each post before clicking on the quote button.

My photo threads:

Tags
skyline