daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #2281
seattleskyline

Likes (Received): 111

Yeah, i am high on Seattle!

Manitopiaaa liked this post
seattleskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #2282
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Seattle needs to lose the NIMBY height limits. Another 400-440 ft. hedge in the making...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #2283
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22513

something sizable might still rise from 820 2nd, though its likelihood for supertall status looks dim.

http://www.seattlepi.com/realestate/...#photo-7192450

Seattle also has the Tower at Rainier Square and 5th&Columbia, but that won't be enough to compete with San Francisco by 2025 which will have Salesforce Tower, the 50 1st Street Tower and 181 Fremont.

JustWatch, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; February 27th, 2015 at 08:17 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #2284
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
something sizable might still rise from 820 2nd, though its likelihood for supertall status looks dim.

http://www.seattlepi.com/realestate/...#photo-7192450

Unfortunately those heights are only allowed in a small patch of the CBD. The rest of the city can go no higher than 450ft at most.

Old February 27th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #2285
seattleskyline

Most of the city is building 440 footers but look at the three Amazon towers all 520' or 5th and columbia 660' or 5th and madison 530' those are all being built right now and as far as proposals go there's Ranier tower 850' or 820 2nd ave 1200' and theres more towers above 500' that i can not think of right now! Also theres a couple 500' starting soon like the Herdeen hotel or the Seattle civic sq plaza or the icon tower!

I am just fine with 440 footers! Look at Vancouver B.C. most of there buildings are 400'-300' and look at how there skyline has turned out!

Old February 27th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #2286
seattleskyline

And i think Seattle has enough to compete with San Francisco, San Francisco is building tall, Seattle is building in mass numbers and making the skyline more dense!

Old February 27th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #2287
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6551

Reforma´s Mexico City 2025 Skyline (U/C & Proposals +150m only)

B-TNRNeCcAAQVja.jpg-large by alexmtzguer, on Flickr
Old February 27th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #2288
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleskyline View Post
And i think Seattle has enough to compete with San Francisco, San Francisco is building tall, Seattle is building in mass numbers and making the skyline more dense!
Seattle is going crazy, which is awesome. I'd love to see Seattle become the U.S.'s answer to Vancouver. However, it is difficult to ignore that San Francisco is going through a massive building boom at the moment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post

SOMA construction by RChin, on Flickr
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #2289
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Listen to the vid at around 12:20

http://sma.sciarc.edu/video/gregg-pa...ver-ever-dont/

Quote:
But the remarkable thing is there are 10 buildings planned and basically funded and under construction in New York that are taller than the Empire State Building ... that will all be built in the next 5 years. The skyline of the city is radically changing.
Sure sounds intriguing!

My breakdown:

1. One World Trade Center, 1,776ft (541m), [roof 1,368ft / 417m]
2. 217 West 57th Street, 1,775ft (541m) [roof 1,490ft / 454m or 1,550ft / 472m]
3. One Vanderbilt Place, 1,514ft (461m) [roof 1,414ft / 431m]
4. 111 West 57th Street, 1,421ft (433m)
5. 432 Park Avenue, 1,397ft (426m)
6. 125 Greenwich Street, 1,356ft (413m)
7. Two World Trade Center, 1,349ft (411m) [roof 1,270ft / 387m]
8. 30 Hudson Yards, 1,287ft (392m)
9. Empire State Building, 1,250ft (381m), [antenna 1,454ft / 443m]

The Hudson Spire and Shvo's Central Park Tower could yield two 1,300 footers. Or even Manhattan West ...
Or maybe SHoP's coming supertalls are indeed taller than the King!

Also, a solid 1,600 footer to the roof would be great.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #2290
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Nothing in America will rival New York's skyline in my life time. It's really everyone else jockeying for positions after New York. In 2025, I think it will look like this:

TOP 5 SKYLINES IN AMERICA - 2025
1. New York: will remain twice as big as anything else
2. Toronto: will pull even with Chicago in 6-7 years then pull ahead
3. Chicago: will start building a lot more but it won't be enough to hold down #2
4. San Francisco: Transbay and lots more
5. Mexico City: few are paying attention to it but it's inevitable that it will be top 5 sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Seattle is going crazy, which is awesome. I'd love to see Seattle become the U.S.'s answer to Vancouver. However, it is difficult to ignore that San Francisco is going through a massive building boom at the moment as well.
Agree. I like Seattle's skyline but there's lots of competition for best on the west coast. San Francisco looks like it will stay at the top. Vancouver could do with some height but is no slouch either. And then there's LA. It's a very small skyline for the size of the city but it still looks good imo.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

TowerVerre:), diego rex liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; February 28th, 2015 at 01:31 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:41 AM   #2291
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22513

Miami might be #4 on that list. It all depends on if the FAA's tyrannical grip on a good chunk of downtown will be loosened. If it is, then there are multiple supertalls and other tall projects down the pike.

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #2292
isaidso
the new republic

Miami could be in the mix but my bets are on SF and MC bumping it out of the top 5. They have a lot stronger fundamentals. SF is extremely wealthy with great long term prospects while MC is a 23 million person metro and capital of a massive country on its way up. Miami will do well, but not as well as those 2.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #2293
seattleskyline

San Francisco isn't in the lead in my opinion for the west coast!

Seattle's skyline seems bigger and with the Space Needle, the 2 mountain ranges[cascades and olympics] and the puget sound!

Yes San Francisco has a building boom right now but Seattle has a bigger boom!

Old February 28th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #2294
isaidso
the new republic

How is a mountain range and body of water part of a skyline? By your definition the Himalayas is the world's biggest skyline.

Old February 28th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #2295
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nothing in America will rival New York's skyline in my life time. It's really everyone else jockeying for positions after New York. In 2025, I think it will look like this:

TOP 5 SKYLINES IN AMERICA - 2025
1. New York: will remain twice as big as anything else
2. Toronto: will pull even with Chicago in 6-7 years then pull ahead
3. Chicago: will start building a lot more but it won't be enough to hold down #2
4. San Francisco: Transbay and lots more
5. Mexico City: few are paying attention to it but it's inevitable that it will be top 5 sooner rather than later.

Agree. I like Seattle's skyline but there's lots of competition for best on the west coast. San Francisco looks like it will stay at the top. Vancouver could do with some height but is no slouch either. And then there's LA. It's a very small skyline for the size of the city but it still looks good imo.
I think Toronto could easily rival Chicago by 2025, but it still has a ways to go considering the height/size of Chicago's downtown. Chicago has taller buildings and more of them. Chicago needs more development but doesn't need to build as rapidly to remain second place considering it's always been a huge and impressive world skyline.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #2296
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think Toronto could easily rival Chicago by 2025, but it still has a ways to go considering the height/size of Chicago's downtown. Chicago has taller buildings and more of them. Chicago needs more development but doesn't need to build as rapidly to remain second place considering it's always been huge and impressive world skyline.
Agree. It's all resting on whether Toronto's current inventory of proposals move to construction. The last 8 years would suggest that 90-95% of Toronto's proposals do get built although they usually undergo design changes. Very few don't happen at all.

If these proposals do get built that 6-7 year timeline I mentioned will be all it takes to close the gap. Toronto would be massively ahead in buildings under 100m, ahead in 100-199m buildings, ahead in 200-299m buildings, but trail in 300m+ buildings (7 vs 1). Overall that's a dead heat in my book.

I'm taking into account Chicago proposals as well and haven't included the CN Tower although it certainly does impact the skyline tremendously.

Last edited by isaidso; February 28th, 2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old February 28th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #2297
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Miami might be #4 on that list. It all depends on if the FAA's tyrannical grip on a good chunk of downtown will be loosened. If it is, then there are multiple supertalls and other tall projects down the pike.
I'm still an optimist about all that but sooner or later Miami's going to have to address the airport issue and reconfigure runways to add capacity and increase efficiency. The city just recently bought a large parcel next to the airport and I hope will buy out more land. At 60 million passengers and growing, MIA is going to strain its jumble of facilities fairly soon.

Old February 28th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #2298
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleskyline View Post
San Francisco isn't in the lead in my opinion for the west coast!

Seattle's skyline seems bigger and with the Space Needle, the 2 mountain ranges[cascades and olympics] and the puget sound!

Yes San Francisco has a building boom right now but Seattle has a bigger boom!
Seattle is winning, yay!

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 06:20 AM   #2299
seattleskyline

In my opinion a skyline is something you see that will amaze you if it is good enough and in Seattle's case the Mountains and the sound add that happy fresh vibe to the skyline!

What would the Seattle skyline be like with out the mountains or the sound, ask yourself that question!

Old February 28th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #2300
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It is getting a little odd. We built a 298m office building in 1975. Who knew we'd still be waiting to cross the 300m barrier 40 years later. In a world building 400m, 500m, 600m buildings one starts questioning the mindset when the city views 250m as problematic in the downtown core. We build 250m but there's a surprising amount of resistance to even going that tall. Their heads would likely explode if someone proposed a 500m building.

When Toronto does build its first 300m+ building it will already be passe. It's all about 400m+ buildings these days.
Makes me wonder, how was CN Tower approved in the first place?
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline