daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:25 PM   #2361
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Man View Post
I know this doesn't compare in any way to the other cities listed, but nonetheless, here is a new cluster forming in London.

That's the thing. It's only the 3rd cluster in London. When it's all up alongside canary wharf and the peninsula and then the city and with the likes of Stratford and elephant and castle the skyline will look huge And have so many vantage points. It'll be quite unique in that regards,a city with 5 different skylines.

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #2362
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31711

San Francisco, USA in 2025

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/p...640ff6601cb#/0
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:10 AM   #2363
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

There will be more SF buildings than that by 2025, also the top of Transbay won't be see through

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #2364
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

San Francisco's skyline has almost looked stumpy but there's nothing like a few buildings in the 250-350m range to notch things up.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #2365
isaidso
the new republic

One of our talented Toronto forum members (Innsertnamehere) has been plugging away for awhile to produce a future depiction of the skyline. Blue are under construction, Yellow are sales, and Red are proposals. I won't post all of them but here is some of his work:

Yorkville + Eglinton/Yonge (far left)

Yorkville (top left) + Eglinton/Yonge (top middle) + North York (top right) + Regents Park (foreground)

Entertainment District + CBD + Southcore

East Bayfront + West Donlands

All of it except North York

All courtesy of Innsertnamehere

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #2366
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22535

Melbourne

IMG_6980 - My stomping ground by Peter ZZZ, on Flickr

brighton beach by victoriaromulo, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; March 25th, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #2367
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

What would have been the 2025 Chicago skyline if the Spire had pushed forward. We now await to see what will be developed in this site.

Building Chicago coastal spire by alvaro3dorsey, on Flickr
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #2368
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
San Francisco's skyline has almost looked stumpy but there's nothing like a few buildings in the 250-350m range to notch things up.
From some angles it does but from others it looks amazing. In any case you're right, it'll look drastically different in 5 or so years time... even more so than Seattle and definitely LA when it comes to West Cost cities

Old March 29th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #2369
isaidso
the new republic

What do you think of LA's skyline? I think it doesn't get a fair shake. People expect something bigger for a city that size but it's still quite good imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcwallander View Post
You have a real problem with London.

Comparing design and architecture of Dubai and London is frankly riduculous and shows how little you know.
Nice try. I'm from London so talking about a city I've spent many many years in. Canary Wharf is beautiful. I quite like one of London's first office towers (NatWest) and the Shard is beautiful. Those gimmicky designs like the Gherkin, Cheese Grater, and Walkie Talkie are tacky and I'm hardly the only person that thinks so. And a giant ferris wheel downtown? I expect that sort of thing in Vegas or a theme park not London.

London would do well to steer clear of novelty and move towards classic designs. Thankfully that seems to be happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcwallander View Post
You love to bang on and on about Toronto, constantly. Ironic as Toronto is possibly one of the most bland cities on the planet in terms of architecture and design.

Reality check.
And how much time have you actually spent in Toronto (or are you talking about a place you know next to nothing about)? I suppose you're referring to modernist boxes by Mies and IM Pei? I'd take those over almost anything else. There's a reason why they're studied in architecture school. They might not be showy but those buildings will stand the test of time. I suppose there will almost be people attracted to the vulgarity of the Kardashians over the timelessly of Audrey Hepburn.

Last edited by isaidso; March 29th, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #2370
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22535

Miami

Miami by Tucpasquic, on Flickr
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #2371
Jay

Quote:
What do you think of LA's skyline? I think it doesn't get a fair shake. People expect something bigger for a city that size but it's still quite good imo.
LA is like Beijing or London, it's a huge important city but the skyline is so so for such a city.

All of these cities have decent skylines but get underrated because other alpha cities like NY or HK or Chicago/Tokyo/Shanghai etc. blow them out of the water.

LA's skyline is always nice to look at, but it's one of the 3 biggest cities in the USA along with Chicago let alone NY, both of which have skylines that are just overwhelming in size/height/diversity etc. It get's left in the dust, SF and Seattle will catch up soon as far as West Coast cities go.

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #2372
isaidso
the new republic

Don't you think skylines should be judged by their merits rather than whether a skyline matches the city's status? I do think SF will become the #1 skyline on the west coast though.

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #2373
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:

Nice try. I'm from London so talking about a city I've spent many many years in. Canary Wharf is beautiful. I quite like one of London's first office towers (NatWest) and the Shard is beautiful. Those gimmicky designs like the Gherkin, Cheese Grater, and Walkie Talkie are tacky and I'm hardly the only person that thinks so. And a giant ferris wheel downtown? I expect that sort of thing in Vegas or a theme park not London.

London would do well to steer clear of novelty and move towards classic designs. Thankfully that seems to be happening.

And how much time have you actually spent in Toronto (or are you talking about a place you know next to nothing about)? I suppose you're referring to modernist boxes by Mies and IM Pei? I'd take those over almost anything else. There's a reason why they're studied in architecture school. They might not be showy but those buildings will stand the test of time. I suppose there will almost be people attracted to the vulgarity of the Kardashians over the timelessly of Audrey Hepburn.
Nobody from London would ever use the term 'downtown'!

Trying to argue that architecture in London is vulgar but it is timeless in Toronto is delusional. London has a far greater range and diversity of architectural styles and far more stand out examples from world renowned architects.

Lets be honest it is obvious that this is the case, London has been a major world city for centuries, Toronto is a new city (in historical terms), my house is older than Toronto.

I have been to Toronto and frankly its architecture is forgetable. Your most famous landmark is a concrete pole. Im sorry to burst your bubble, but Toronto is not well known for great architecture, in fact it is known for monotony.

You have spent so long bigging up Toronto on these forums that you now believe your own hype.

I say again, I know its difficult for you, but time for a reality check.
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #2374
ILTarantino

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Those gimmicky designs like the Gherkin, Cheese Grater, and Walkie Talkie are tacky and I'm hardly the only person that thinks so.
This is your opinion, the city of London has some of the most elegant skyscrapers in the world. Dubai and Middle eastern clusters are kitsch, do you know the difference?

ILTarantino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #2375
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTarantino View Post
This is your opinion, the city of London has some of the most elegant skyscrapers in the world. Dubai and Middle eastern clusters are kitsch, do you know the difference?
Of course it's my opinion as you have yours. Do I know the difference between Dubai and London? Dubai is 90% kitsch. London has some good looking towers but far too many tacky ones. That area around the Gherkin looks like a dog's breakfast. That they cost a fortune to build doesn't change that.

Can we move on now that we've established what our opinions are?

Last edited by isaidso; March 30th, 2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #2376
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

London will have if everything works great. Current proposals get built etc. Maybe 15 buildings over 200m by 2025. That's great and amazing, especially for Europe that is so anti-highrise development, don't get me wrong. But... there are more than 25 cities that with current U/C buildings will have more towers of that height by 2016 already. London might have good looking buildings, it all depends on the subjective opinion, but placing London anywhere near your top 10 will be delusional once the year rolls by.

For me nanjing has among the best designed buildings in the world, love nearly all of them. But still I would not rate the city higher than Shanghai, just because in the end it's the size of the building that's mind blowing and the density of the skyline. The more cities I have visited the clearer this gets. I prefer the design of SWFC also over Shanghai tower, but ST was still more impressive, there was no doubt.
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #2377
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6739

London may have rich in history and exotic elegant low rise architectural, but that doesnt count into skyline ranking.

London far from current top 10 in my opinion. In future maybe but may not as they are not centralised. Definitely has potential to be one of the best in europe

WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:46 AM   #2378
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Since this video came out 3 weeks ago, another supertall and two skyscrapers have been proposed.

JustWatch, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:10 AM   #2379
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTarantino View Post
First of all, not all Dubai skyscrapers are kitsch and certainly not all Middle East skylines are kitsch. Take Doha or Kuwait City for example, there is nothing kitsch about their towers. These skylines are beautiful and blow many cities, including London, out of the water. Yes, Dubai does have plenty of kitschy towers mainly on that main road near the Burj so I can agree on calling this skyline kitsch to a certain extent. We have to keep in mind that what looks kitsch to western eyes may not be the same for other parts of the word. Maybe people in the Middle East and Asia consider the new towers in London and the West as kitsch. I certainly do, and I am a Westerner.

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 07:25 AM   #2380
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6739

I am Asian and consider dubai skyline as kitsch

-Corey-, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline