daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #2641
tokyo-hypa

Likes (Received): 48

lols my comment got deleted, well stop hating cause i said NYC and Chicago aren't the center of the Universe
tokyo-hypa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #2642
azey

Likes (Received): 1449

KUALA LUMPUR MASTERPLAN MODEL

[/url]2015 - 0819 iMG_344 吉隆坡 城市規劃展覽館 by PIPIQ Lai, on Flickr
2015 - 0819 iMG_340 吉隆坡 城市規劃展覽館 by PIPIQ Lai, on Flickr
2015 - 0819 iMG_338 吉隆坡 城市規劃展覽館 by PIPIQ Lai, on Flickr
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #2643
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaleclipse1985 View Post
Here my 2cents...

11. Chicago (huge, diverse skyline with a rich history but lacking the mass of new projects; will continue to grow slowly but other cities are simply growing much faster)
Compared to NY it's growing slowly but the next boom should keep Chi-town in the top ten, I don't think Toronto will ever pass it in the near future. They have four potential supertalls (to roof) with a decent number of 2-250+m projects in the works. That's pretty significant if you ask me
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #2644
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo-hypa View Post
lols my comment got deleted, well stop hating cause i said NYC and Chicago aren't the center of the Universe
They aren't?

Just kidding... kinda, but in all seriousness the reason there are so many Chinese or US cities in this thread is because they are the best.

While I think skylines like Singapore and Bangkok or KL are nice they are overrepresented in this thread. I guess it's not a huge deal, whatever floats your boat.
Old December 13th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #2645
ImRashid

Likes (Received): 8

interesting kuala lumpur model..
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #2646
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Quote:
Here my 2cents...

Top skylines in 2025

1. New York City (25+ supertalls; history, diversity and density second to none)
2. Shenzhen (25+ supertalls, 100+ skyscrapers; huge mass of buildings but lacking density, CBDs are a little bit apart and there are still many "shitty" urban villages around)
3. Dubai (35+ supertalls; the king of supertalls but lacking density and the pure mass of highrise buildings found in the megacities above)
4. Shanghai (absolutely massive city with probably the highest number of bildings in the world. Many new projects on the way but a lack of supertalls)
5. Kuala Lumpur (2 megatalls and many new supertalls on the way, highly concentrated, dense CBD - like Singapore in big)
6. Mumbai (growing like crazy with countless skyscraper and supertall projects on the way; financial capital and by far most advanced city in India; will be very dense because the main CBD is on a peninsula with limited space - biggest skyline winner, right now not in the top 10)
7. Hong Kong (huge number of highrises and beautiful natural setting but totally lost its momentum in skyscraper and supertall construction - the biggest skyline looser for the next decade, right now I would put HK on 3)
8. Chongqing (a little bit of a risky bet given all the hight cuts and cancelled projects of the past but: many supertall and skyscraper projects on the way, extremely dense due to the landscape and its space limitations, hugely growing urban population and economy)
9. Guangzhou (already great skyline, huge number of new projects in the pipeline, new CBDs will greatly expand the skyline, has the population, economy and political importance to coninue its growth trajectory)
10. Toronto (very big skyline, vast amount of new projects including supertalls, financial capital of Canada with very stable growth perspective)
11. Chicago (huge, diverse skyline with a rich history but lacking the mass of new projects; will continue to grow slowly but other cities are simply growing much faster)
12. Melbourne ("Toronto of Australia" with a huge amount of projects; could overtake Chicago after 2025 if it remains on its growth trajectory)
13. Jakarta (massive number of projects and a high long-term growth potential as the primary city of the rapidly growing country of Indonesia; nevertheless will still lack density and quality in 2025 but could climb up the list)
14. Manila (like Jakarta just a little bit smaller)
15. Tokyo (largest city in the world with a huge mass of buildings but lacking supertalls and only a limited number of skyscrapers; will probably fall down further due to Japans shrinking population and stagnant economy)
I was going to add my 2 cents but this list is almost identical to what I would have wrote. I'm especially interested in what's happening in Melbourne. It's coming on like gangbusters and could be precisely where you put it if they continue on their current path. Mumbai is destined to be a top 3 but your ranking of #6 looks good for 2025. Kuala Lumpur amazes me. It's not in a particularly big country nor is KL all that big itself (5 million?) yet it keeps proposing and building massive skyscrapers in quantity.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 17th, 2015 at 05:11 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #2647
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1132

nice to know you're still around

JuanPaulo liked this post
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #2648
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QalzimCity View Post
nice to know you're still around
That's very sweet of you to say. Pressing matters needed tending to. I'm hoping things will return to normal soon.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

QalzimCity liked this post
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #2649
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
14. Manila (like Jakarta just a little bit smaller)
I neither agree or disagree..

only curious as to what led you to this opinion
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #2650
rayvs99
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo-hypa View Post
lol. Tokyo is not the center of the universe either, its more of an outskirt.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
rayvs99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #2651
wino

If NY, Chicago and Tokyo aren't the center of the Universe..
then it could only be Mumbai!!
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #2652
Reeyell

Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Oh! No you did'nt

wino liked this post
Reeyell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #2653
totaleclipse1985

Likes (Received): 1911

Quote:
I neither agree or disagree..

only curious as to what led you to this opinion
It's just my impression or let's say a kind of a feeling that the skylines of Jakarta and Metro Manila (especially Makati of course) look quite similar. The number of projects is also relatively similar, with Jakarta having more and bigger projects in the pipeline. For the future potential, both megacities are the primary cities of their respective countries and both are growing rapidly in GDP as well as in population - here again Indonesia is bigger than the Phillipines of course.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
totaleclipse1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #2654
wino

Makes sense.. i just got curious when you mentioned that Manila skyline is smaller than Jakarta's

i find it debatable.. but no big deal! really. It's all good.
It's only a matter of time any way.. that Jakarta will be one of the world's biggest skylines.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #2655
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
You mean when Canadians use the moniker 'Centre of the Universe' in reference to Toronto they're actually making fun of us?

ChuckScraperMiami#1, wino liked this post
Old December 18th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #2656
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Behold, the Supertall-Filled New York City Skyline of 2030

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/NYC-sky...0-labeled2.php

Cute mockup but it omits the many skyscrapers that are now and will be filling in the skyline.

Last edited by desertpunk; December 18th, 2015 at 11:28 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 04:16 AM   #2657
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:

7. Hong Kong (huge number of highrises and beautiful natural setting but totally lost its momentum in skyscraper and supertall construction - the biggest skyline looser for the next decade, right now I would put HK on 3)
IMHO I would say Chicago is the biggest skyscraper loser. Hong Kong has a lot of 100-200m projects right now and two +200m landmark projects U/C. The two projects are on the Kowloon side and while they might not be "super" tall they will have a huge impact on the skyline. Chicago has some projects but they will have little impact in the skyline when completed due to their location being mostly obscured by neighbouring buildings.

One of the projects is New World Centre | 265m | 63 fl | U/C . It might be a smaller building but it still brings a huge change to the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
By 花樣年華 from dcfever :

KlausDiggy, Yellow Fever, Zaz965 liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:04 AM   #2658
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32180

Not true your statement about Chicago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Chicago has now four solid supertall proposals so I think it has a great chance to remain in the top 10 skylines in the world by 2025 if they get built:

Wanda Vista Tower:

1000 South Michigan:

113 East Roosevelt:

Wolf Point Tower:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I took at stab at the future Chicago skyline with all the four current proposed supertalls. Forgive my quick photoshop job at a great picture by Jessica D. The new supertalls included are from left to right:

Wanda Vista Tower
113 East Roosevelt
1000 South Michigan Avenue
Wolf Point Tower

Chicago 2025

chicago future skyline by jpmorla, on Flickr

and for reference this is the current 2015 skyline

DSC09024 by Jessica D, on Flickr
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:07 AM   #2659
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
IMHO I would say Chicago is the biggest skyscraper loser. Hong Kong has a lot of 100-200m projects right now and two +200m landmark projects U/C. The two projects are on the Kowloon side and while they might not be "super" tall they will have a huge impact on the skyline. Chicago has some projects but they will have little impact in the skyline when completed due to their location being mostly obscured by neighbouring buildings.

One of the projects is New World Centre | 265m | 63 fl | U/C . It might be a smaller building but it still brings a huge change to the skyline.

You have no idea what your talking about.

Jay, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 12:09 PM   #2660
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
You have no idea what your talking about.
No kidding. Hong Kong is super lame in terms of projects currently underway.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline