daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2016, 06:13 PM   #2721
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavirajG View Post
Still 9 years to go, so anything can happen but as it stands now...my Top 20:

1. Shanghai
2. NYC
3. Shenzhen
4. Hong Kong
5. Guangzhou

Either way, if HK doesn't fire up again, the top 3 spots will be a tough contest between the first 3.

6. Dubai
7. Kuala Lumpur
8. Chicago
9. Chongqing
10. Mumbai - provided India amends its outdated land acquisition procedures, environmental regulations and FSI.

11. Toronto
12. Bangkok
13. Abu Dhabi
14. Manila
15. Jakarta

16. Nanjing
17. Singapore
18. Tianjin
19. Wuhan
20. Seoul

Others with huge potential and worthy of consideration: Macau, Panama City, Istanbul, Mexico City, Melbourne, Qatar, Moscow
Kuala Lumpur before Chicago? Thats silly.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:51 PM   #2722
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
In my book yes...I have visited KL and I know the scale of development going on there.

You don't have to agree with this.

realitybites-u, isaidso, Zaz965 liked this post
KavirajG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:12 PM   #2723
ed500

Likes (Received): 1952

I see Kuala Lumpur as a dark horse, by 2025 it may have 9 400+ skyscrapers including 2 megatalls, if all goes well it could even be considered as the best skyline if not definitely top 5.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:36 AM   #2724
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6668

I think of the same, Kuala Lumpur is starting to get my attention
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:46 AM   #2725
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1132

Thank you so much friends(skyline lovers) who support KL... very much appreciated.

As a KLite myself, as of now, KL is still rather below old great cities like Chicago and Toronto... but im so pleased with the developments progress KL has in the future... 9years to go... manything can happen...

just bout a decade ago, the trio NY,HK and Chicago were untouchable, now after just 10 years, mega beautiful skylines emerged from nowhere like Shanghai(my no 2 after NY),Dubai,Guangzhou and Shenzhen.I just cant wait for the year 2025 to come! May God bless us all.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:21 PM   #2726
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
I agree with KarivajG. Kuala Lumpur will zoom up the chart over the next 9 years. It will be ahead of Chicago by 2025. His list is quite good overall. The only one I think he under rated is Melbourne. I think it will be solidly in the top 20 by 2025. Melbourne might be entering a boom equal to the one Toronto is in the midst of.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:31 PM   #2727
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QalzimCity View Post
Thank you so much friends(skyline lovers) who support KL... very much appreciated.

As a KLite myself, as of now, KL is still rather below old great cities like Chicago and Toronto... but im so pleased with the developments progress KL has in the future... 9years to go... manything can happen...

just bout a decade ago, the trio NY,HK and Chicago were untouchable, now after just 10 years, mega beautiful skylines emerged from nowhere like Shanghai(my no 2 after NY),Dubai,Guangzhou and Shenzhen.I just cant wait for the year 2025 to come! May God bless us all.
KL looked a little disjointed up till very recently but has really started to come together. It just needed to fill in... which is happening now.

KL is very impressive not just for the quality of the buildings but the number and height of buildings going up. It's doubly impressive when one takes into account the size of KL and Malaysia. KL (and Toronto for that matter) are going up against metros far larger and exist in countries far smaller.

You expect giant skylines is massive countries like China, the US, Indonesia, India, Japan, etc. but not countries under 50 million.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

KavirajG, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:38 PM   #2728
isaidso
the new republic

Maybe I should do a top 20. Here goes.

01. New York
02. Shenzhen
03. Shanghai
04. Hong Kong
05. Guangzhou

06. Kuala Lumpur
07. Mumbai
08. Dubai
09. Toronto
10. Chicago

11. Chongqing
12. Jakarta
13. Melbourne
14. Tokyo
15. Bangkok

16. Tianjin
17. Singapore
18. Beijing
19. Manila
20. Seoul

ChuckScraperMiami#1, mw123, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:58 PM   #2729
bima_mtks

Likes (Received): 12

maybe we should take a look at this source...

source: The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat

TowerVerre:), KavirajG liked this post
bima_mtks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:02 PM   #2730
isaidso
the new republic

China is just on another level. It will be China vs. everyone else in the not too distant future.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Celsior liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:14 PM   #2731
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Melbourne is coming up nicely and actually I wanted to include it in my Top 20...however the rate at which many Chinese cities are expanding is giving us a hard time. Also based on population growth and migration to urban areas, I chose its SE Asian counterparts like Manila and Jakarta.

I personally like KL...I think it really has a beautiful skyline and with their Countdown to 2020 masterplan, the city is in for some big changes.
KL is biting a large chunk of visitors to SE Asia already and with respect to the retail and hospitality sectors which are growing by leaps and bounds, I think the city will undergo a major construction boom.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:20 PM   #2732
isaidso
the new republic

I thought KL would play 2nd fiddle to Singapore but it's really come on strong over the last 10-15 years (and looks destined to pass it by most measures). Regarding Melbourne, there are strong arguments for leaving it out of the top 20 (like you've touched on) but I think it's going to surprise a lot of people.

In many ways Melbourne is doing to Sydney what Toronto did to Montreal. It's taking its place at the head of the Australian table. It's boom will be even bigger than one might expect as it wrestles power and influence from Sydney. This is partially why Toronto's boom has been so lengthy and sizable.

Toronto is still growing into its new role. These things take decades to happen. I expect Melbourne to do the same thing. Once Melbourne gets its lead, things will snowball.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, mw123 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; January 22nd, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 09:07 PM   #2733
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23088

NYC + Jersey City.

NYC 2. by Ryan Hallock, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #2734
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

London

Tetris (Canary Wharf from Point Hill, London, United Kingdom) by Andrea Pucci, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:21 PM   #2735
SmilingFace17

Likes (Received): 735

City that never sleeps? That's so bright, man!
SmilingFace17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:28 PM   #2736
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In many ways Melbourne is doing to Sydney what Toronto did to Montreal. It's taking its place at the head of the Australian table. It's boom will be even bigger than one might expect as it wrestles power and influence from Sydney.
In terms of? High rise construction is one thing, but currently Sydney is attracting the most investment, and business, and in many ways is carrying more momentum than any other city in Australia. As the mining boom in Australia has faded the national economy is becoming increasingly dependent on Sydney (another link). And if you've been paying attention to the way things have been shaping up as of recently, across all fronts, it won't seem to be changing anytime soon, so I don't think there's much reason at all to suggest that Melbourne's gaining any 'power and influnce' over Sydney. They're both growing rather well.

In terms of building construction, again if you've been paying attention Sydney is actually currently building at least as much as Melbourne, and the housing market is booming in Sydney even more than in Melbourne, and that's not even taking into account the massive backlog of infrastructure projects (to give a scale the state's spending $70 billion over just 4 years on infrastructure alone + a further 20 billion available soon through asset sales), and the large urban renewal projects as well - only difference is Sydney's building construction is spread across the metro while comparatively Melbourne's is more centralised in/around the inner city with high rise towers. But as far as the central skyline goes Sydney's is restrained by repressive planning controls and a planning system that's wayyy too slow and an expensive process for developers for large buildings, so it's no surprises that Melbourne is destroying Sydney on that front.

But I'm quite excited for Melbourne as well, it'll be interesting to watch the city transform over the next 10 years and take the lead for Australia in terms of its skyline (some recent events in Sydney are suggesting that things might change fairly soon but we can't judge the impact until that happens). I'm just glad that Australia now has 2 notable cities of influence, which isn't bad at all considering the size of the country

And btw just for anyone who might not have been keeping up with Melbourne recently it's getting a swathe of towers. Just for 200m+ alone there's currently 7 demo and u/c but there's another 7 going through the sales process and could potentially start this year, and 26 proposed/approved - and they're all centralised in and around the CBD. Takes the total 200m+ tally including the ones already built up to 50 (compared to the current 10 so picture the impact!), though obviously some are still proposals so you can't be sure of if/when they'll start. But again that's not even a fraction of what some Chinese cities are going through apparently...

PaPa Riddlz, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by nameless dude; January 23rd, 2016 at 12:42 PM.
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:51 PM   #2737
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Quote:
I thought KL would play 2nd fiddle to Singapore but it's really come on strong over the last 10-15 years (and looks destined to pass it by most measures). Regarding Melbourne, there are strong arguments for leaving it out of the top 20 (like you've touched on) but I think it's going to surprise a lot of people.
It changed quite a long time back. I remember in the 90s, SG was the talk of the time and KL was sidelined. However during the late 90s when prices started rising in SG, many started flocking to KL. It started with small business people and eventually spilled over to the masses. This era also sparked a major construction boom and we saw hotels and huge shopping centers like the Berjaya Times Square coming up.
And it's still going on today.
A bright future lies ahead if Kl can maintain this cadence.

isaidso, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:17 PM   #2738
isaidso
the new republic

I suppose I should have said it started 25 years ago not 10-15 years ago. I do think KL will continue to surge. I hadn't thought it could compete with much larger Bangkok, Manila, and Jakarta but maybe it can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless dude View Post
In terms of? High rise construction is one thing, but currently Sydney is attracting the most investment, and business, and in many ways is carrying more momentum than any other city in Australia. As the mining boom in Australia has faded the national economy is becoming increasingly dependent on Sydney (another link). And if you've been paying attention to the way things have been shaping up as of recently, across all fronts, it won't seem to be changing anytime soon, so I don't think there's much reason at all to suggest that Melbourne's gaining any 'power and influnce' over Sydney. They're both growing rather well.

In terms of building construction, again if you've been paying attention Sydney is actually currently building at least as much as Melbourne, and the housing market is booming in Sydney even more than in Melbourne, and that's not even taking into account the massive backlog of infrastructure projects (to give a scale the state's spending $70 billion over just 4 years on infrastructure alone + a further 20 billion available soon through asset sales), and the large urban renewal projects as well - only difference is Sydney's building construction is spread across the metro while comparatively Melbourne's is more centralised in/around the inner city with high rise towers. But as far as the central skyline goes Sydney's is restrained by repressive planning controls and a planning system that's wayyy too slow and an expensive process for developers for large buildings, so it's no surprises that Melbourne is destroying Sydney on that front.

But I'm quite excited for Melbourne as well, it'll be interesting to watch the city transform over the next 10 years and take the lead for Australia in terms of its skyline (some recent events in Sydney are suggesting that things might change fairly soon but we can't judge the impact until that happens). I'm just glad that Australia now has 2 notable cities of influence, which isn't bad at all considering the size of the country

And btw just for anyone who might not have been keeping up with Melbourne recently it's getting a swathe of towers. Just for 200m+ alone there's currently 7 demo and u/c but there's another 7 going through the sales process and could potentially start this year, and 26 proposed/approved - and they're all centralised in and around the CBD. Takes the total 200m+ tally including the ones already built up to 50 (compared to the current 10 so picture the impact!), though obviously some are still proposals so you can't be sure of if/when they'll start. But again that's not even a fraction of what some Chinese cities are going through apparently...
Great post. I admit that I'm viewing these 2 from a far so the realities on the ground may not line up smoothly with perceptions from here in America. Despite Sydney's size, I view Melbourne as Australia's #1 cultural and corporate centre.

Sydney is, no doubt, a stronger rival to Melbourne than Montreal is to Toronto so my analogy only goes so far. Montreal may have 4 million people but it basically flat lined/grew at a snail's pace for 40 years and is only now showing signs of significant growth. A similar scenario just isn't in the cards for Sydney; it won't flat line like that.

Perhaps my affinity for Melbourne stems for my love of Toronto. I often look at photos of Melbourne streets and they're shockingly similar to places here in Toronto. You'll find a ton of Torontonians who view Melbourne as our sister city; or the world city that most closely mirrors our own.

Btw, 'up to 50' 200m+ buildings built, under construction, or proposed for Melbourne would bring it to a similar level as Toronto. The SSP database is quite good with usually only a few buildings missing. It puts Melbourne at 35 and Toronto at 43 so quite comparable.

PaPa Riddlz liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; January 23rd, 2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #2739
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
NYC + Jersey City.

NYC 2. by Ryan Hallock, on Flickr
Just Marvelous! It captures the massive scale of THE City!
dendenden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:13 AM   #2740
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Likes (Received): 4103

Quote:
Great post. I admit that I'm viewing these 2 from a far so the realities on the ground may not line up smoothly with perceptions from here in America. Despite Sydney's size, I view Melbourne as Australia's #1 cultural and corporate centre.

Sydney is, no doubt, a stronger rival to Melbourne than Montreal is to Toronto so my analogy only goes so far. Montreal may have 4 million people but it basically flat lined/grew at a snail's pace for 40 years and is only now showing signs of significant growth. A similar scenario just isn't in the cards for Sydney; it won't flat line like that.

Perhaps my affinity for Melbourne stems for my love of Toronto. I often look at photos of Melbourne streets and they're shockingly similar to places here in Toronto. You'll find a ton of Torontonians who view Melbourne as our sister city; or the world city that most closely mirrors our own.

Btw, 'up to 50' 200m+ buildings built, under construction, or proposed for Melbourne would bring it to a similar level as Toronto. The SSP database is quite good with usually only a few buildings missing. It puts Melbourne at 35 and Toronto at 43 so quite comparable.

Melbourne forumers do our best to co-ordinate with the the forumer who updates the Aus database on SSP (CULWULLA) but Melbourne's page is not as good or accurate as it could be(more than just a few missing), primary because Melbourne's planning application system is poor and stuck in the past when it comes to making plans available online. List below is a lot more accurate and up to date with Melbourne.

Gonna just have to wait and see what happens long term with both cities. No doubt the competition pushes them to greater heights.

Also, lots of to Toronto, from Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dawn
Communism and Capitalism are tools/weapons of the Illuminati.

nameless dude, Zaz965 liked this post
PaPa Riddlz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline