daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2861
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
One Yonge Street 1 and 'The One' should trade places. One Yonge is a gorgeous tower with a classy design. The One is hideous.

Hong Kong is my #1 as well. And New York is #2 and Chicago #3. But let's be real: none of the cities you listed (San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Chicago, Toronto) are ever going to pose a threat to New York's dominance. New York is going to face competition from Dubai, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Shenzhen. And that's about it.

Hypothetically in the long-term you can add Bangkok, Jakarta, KL, Manila, Mumbai, etc. But New York is the undisputed #1 in the West and will likely retain that title for the next 50 years, at least. No European city competes on the skyline front and New York's biggest Western rivals - London and Paris - are far behind on skyline. Chicago is not building. San Francisco and Seattle are many leagues below New York (as in they'd have to quintuple their skylines, something neither city has the potential to do given NIMBYs.) So I do see Hong Kong and New York as #1 in their respective poles (East and West), with Hong Kong as a better, more cohesive skyline overall (having visited both places).

And I say that as someone from Alexandria, VA who has visited both Chicago and New York, has never lived in either place but would enjoy both if given the opportunity.
I agree with just about everything you said except the part about Chicago not building and the part about no other american cities competing with NY. Lets take Chicago first... For some reason the Skyscrapercity main page has not been updated to show that Chicago currently has about 44 shovels in the ground right now on new skyscrapers and is currently in sight prep demo on about 7 or 8 others. Moreover it has two 800+ footers due to start this year plus a supertall due to break ground within months and a another supertall likely to start by the end of the year. Quiet as it has been kept, Chicago is actually pretty much on fire - experiencing a boom!

Now lets look at other north american cities. 2025 is a long way away. Who knows what sparkling new towers will be in which cities by 2025. Moreover, again, I go back to my view skyline that interpretation is subjective. NY may build more but more does not make it better. If that were the case then some of the Asian cities hands down would have the best skyline. Too me, NY's skyline lacks symmetry. To my eye, you find better symmetry and balance in Seattle, San Francisco, a slew of Asian cities and Hong Kong, Toronto (potentially) and in Chicago.

Time will tell.

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; March 2nd, 2016 at 07:27 PM.
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #2862
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

A new report released today has detailed some new fact's on London's highrise boom.

Currently in 2016 there are 436 towers 20 Storeys+ in the pipeline.

This is an increase of 173 in a year. 113% (In 2015 the number was 263)

This doesn't include EIA's which which were released but not entered for planning which would increase the number in the last year by another 27.

stop that, goschio liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #2863
mw123

Likes (Received): 2669

A couple of towers missing, but a few good renders of future Melbourne.

* Red: proposed
* Blue: approved
* Green: construction

https://urban.melbourne/planning/201...ate-march-2016
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #2864
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31673

Amazing Melbourne!

Zaz965 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #2865
PaPa Riddlz
Registered Alcoholic

Likes (Received): 4083

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
A couple of towers missing, but a few good renders of future Melbourne.
It is still a work in progress though

Crazy when you think there are quite a few 200m+ proposals yet to be added and then all of Fisherman's bend which is still absent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dawn
Communism and Capitalism are tools/weapons of the Illuminati.
PaPa Riddlz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #2866
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Melbourne has one of the best skylines around and will be a top 10 contender if the pipeline of proposals get built. Exciting times for Melbourne, for sure.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #2867
isaidso
the new republic

2 more renderings showing some of the proposals for part of downtown Toronto. Big changes ahead:

From Casa II

From the CN Tower

Courtesy of koops65

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old March 14th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #2868
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

6sqft has a really incredible rundown of the many new developments slated to go up in Long Island City in NYC. Lots of details on all the projects after the link, but I had to at least post the before-and-after .gif:

Some of the designs aren't exactly inspiring, but that's to be expected of an outer neighborhood like this. But in terms of sheer size, New York's "fifth skyline" is poised to overtake Downtown Brooklyn and Jersey City as the best skyscraper node outside of Manhattan (and would challenge many American and world cities). Now all they need is a true supertall in the works.

Edit: As Ghostface79 pointed out in the NY Projects & Construction Thread, the above leaves out the tallest of the bunch: 23-15 44th Drive.

Birmingham, sali_haci, erbse, JustWatch, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; March 15th, 2016 at 12:54 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #2869
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Canary Wharf

Blackfriars

Nine Elms

Old March 15th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #2870
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
A new report released today has detailed some new fact's on London's highrise boom.

Currently in 2016 there are 436 towers 20 Storeys+ in the pipeline.

This is an increase of 173 in a year. 113% (In 2015 the number was 263)

This doesn't include EIA's which which were released but not entered for planning which would increase the number in the last year by another 27.

London will be the next New York!

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #2871
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
London has a looooooooooooooong ways to go before it even comes close to New York's level. It will probably take 50 years to even come close, and thats if its current construction rate holds. Thats a big if. London is in the amateur league as far as skyscrapers go...
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #2872
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I doubt it unfortunately.

The Skyline Campaign is starting to throw it's weight around. We've seen Renzo Piano's 252m tall tower shelved in Paddington or cut in half anyway. Goodsyard has an awful lot of resistance.

However, I wouldn't call London amateur league in terms of Skyscrapers. Maybe not exceptionally tall as other places but it does have a supertall in the Shard and dozens of 200-300m towers built, U/C or approved.

Canary Wharf alone has 35+ towers between 100-250m U/C or approved.

Greenwich has 25+ 100m towers planned or U/C.

Nine Elms - 15+ 100-200m

Stratford - NO idea but dozens 100m+

Blackfriars

Elephant & Castle

South Bank

and then the City.

Greedy Sheedy, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #2873
ghettobird

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
New York City 2025

To me these new skyscrapers actually make New Yorks skyline worse, as they are just bland boxes and way too tall compared to the surroundings. What makes New York truly unique are the old skyscrapers that you can see next to the park. You can almost read history from the facades of these buildings.

gooner86, elculo, jblpty, Zaz965 liked this post
ghettobird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #2874
isaidso
the new republic

London looks increasingly like it will be the undisputed #1 skyline in Europe. It can realistically jump into a global top 25 by 2040 but not much higher. London has too much ground to make up and the big skylines are rapidly evolving as well.

I suspect some people assume London's skyline will eventually transform into a rival to New York's based on London's current status as projected in 'global city' indices. It's not a realistic expectation and ignores the changes happening globally. We're moving towards a poly-centric world where no 1-2 cities dominate. London will remain an important city, but it will be one of 15-25 major world cities existing on a relatively even footing.

It may be a difficult adjustment for Londoners (and New Yorkers) but one that will have to be made.

TowerVerre:), Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 15th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #2875
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

and I thought Manila's boom was over and done.. i guess NOT!

Manila Outsourcing Boom Spurs Most Offices in Quarter Century

About 1.49 million sqm to be built in next two years: Colliers
Supply will pressure rents, push up vacancy rates: Colliers

Quote:
Philippine builders are adding the most office space in Manila in at least 26 years, catering to companies such as American Express Co. and International Business Machines Corp. that are outsourcing more jobs to the Southeast Asian nation.
About 710,000 square meters (7.6 million square feet) of office space will be built in the Philippine capital this year and more than 780,000 square meters in 2017, broker Colliers International estimates. Each is a record for work space built in a year, and combined represents a fifth of the stock at the end of 2015, according to the broker’s data stretching back to 1990.

city under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mari View Post
02|24|2016

_yssirk

TowerVerre:), JustWatch liked this post

Last edited by wino; March 15th, 2016 at 08:37 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #2876
isaidso
the new republic

One feeds the other. When you have a residential construction boom downtown, it's often followed by an office construction boom downtown coupled with massive investments in infrastructure (transit, sewers, electrical grid, schools, hospitals). Retail gets added throughout the whole process than the cycle starts up again.

Old March 15th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #2877
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

In Manila's case, it is mainly jobs that feeds the boom. It is One of the main cities that benefit from outsourcing.
most of the buildings under construction are office buildings... and then trickles down to residential and retail etc...
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #2878
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
London looks increasingly like it will be the undisputed #1 skyline in Europe. It can realistically jump into a global top 25 by 2040 but not much higher. London has too much ground to make up and the big skylines are rapidly evolving as well.

I suspect some people assume London's skyline will eventually transform into a rival to New York's based on London's current status as projected in 'global city' indices. It's not a realistic expectation and ignores the changes happening globally. We're moving towards a poly-centric world where no 1-2 cities dominate. London will remain an important city, but it will be one of 15-25 major world cities existing on a relatively even footing.

It may be a difficult adjustment for Londoners (and New Yorkers) but one that will have to be made.
I don't think anyone really thinks London will ever come close to New York. New York is by far and away the best skyline in the world no matter what. Even in a 100 years time in my eyes and I reckon in most people's New York will be the greatest skyline.

Everyone else will be pretenders, bigger, denser whatever - it'll never have the same charm and charisma as the Big Apple.

However saying that ... It's how skylines looks asthetically in my opinion and LOndon may not be in the top 25 in terms of height or density however it could well be in appearance. Who knows.

Most recent model of Canary Wharf developments posted by SE9. Mine was out of date apparently. 43 towers over 100m+ - to the right you can see Greenwich Peninsular where the Millenium Dome is - That has another 20+ 100m towers U/C or Proposed.

Old March 16th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #2879
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31673

New York City 2025

Old March 17th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #2880
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
New York City 2025
JP, is that Hudson Yards on the left?

Tags
skyline