daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #3021
o0ink
Alpen-Häschen der Zukunft

Likes (Received): 1295

My booming favs are: Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Brisbane, Toronto and London.
I think all of these cities will get a whole different skyline by 2025 compared to what they look now.
o0ink no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #3022
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
IMHO, Brisbane, with its current building proposals, is going to beat Sydney as the second best skyline in OZ. It's more like Calgary than Vancouver in that regard.
Well Sydney still has a lot more existing towers than Brisbane to begin with, but admittedly I think Sydney's height limits had made the skyline look a bit flat. However there's still about 10 200m+ in the pipeline in/around Sydney CBD and a few of these break the current height limits (tallest is the 272m Crown Tower), and they're likely to get up. Though given how sluggish Sydney's planning system is when it comes to tall towers and the city council which holds a rather anti-height, anti-development stance, by the time Brisbane has all its proposals built Sydney might be lucky to get half of its up

What's the difference though is that much of Sydney's development is spread around the metro and not centred around the city centre as much as Melbourne and Brisbane. One particular area to watch in Sydney is Parramatta. It's a 'suburb' 20km west of the city centre but currently has more tower proposals than Sydney CBD itself - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=738 - perhaps a contender for the best 'suburban' skyline in the future?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by nameless dude; June 24th, 2016 at 12:47 PM.
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #3023
saiho

Likes (Received): 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop that View Post
I doubt it, shenzhen is already calming down, (like most Chinese cities), as they become more developed. Shenzhen is evolving into a more mature city, like shanghai has, and both will be like Hong Kong (development wise) before too long. Shanghai is further down this road and will be another Hong Kong very soon, it all ready nearly is
How is having more than 60 +200m buildings in active construction calming down? I think that is more than any other city. Most Chinese cities are still building a lot, like Chongqing and Wuhan. Hong Kong is only stopped because the current NIMBY lobby is really strong developers are not willing to put out landmark projects anymore. Of course that does not mean Hong Kong is not building anything.
Old June 25th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #3024
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
How is having more than 60 +200m buildings in active construction calming down?
Especially when there is a further 60+ 200m+ towers in various stages of preparations+a serious dual megatall proposal

dbhaskar, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #3025
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
The strong influence of NIMBY in Vancouver with their precious protected view corridors of the snow-peak mountains and maximum height limit of 200 m is maddening!

IMHO, Brisbane, with its current building proposals, is going to beat Sydney as the second best skyline in OZ. It's more like Calgary than Vancouver in that regard.

Skyscrapers over 170 m/557 ft

Brisbane
Population: 2,308,700 (2015)

Calgary
Population: 1,439,756 (2015)

Source: SkyscraperPage

I noticed that most of Brisbane's tallest skyscrapers are residential towers, OTOH, most of Calgary's tallest skyscrapers are office towers.
Vancouver (and BC) has long been anti-business/anti-development relative to other US/Canadian jurisdictions. Too many restrictions, high taxes, etc.
I think the Brisbane - Calgary comparison is interesting. Vancouver has long been the dominant city in the West, and #3 in Canada. Calgary might
wrestle both away from Vancouver within a generation. Calgary has too many engines of growth to slow it down. It will likely move beyond dependence
on oil by then too. Like you pointed out, Calgary's skyline is mostly office. It will mushroom when people start locating downtown in a big way.

Edmonton flies well under the radar but is silently following in Calgary's footsteps.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #3026
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

SHENZHEN
originally posted on gaoloumi by ghhhjjkkkk
Old June 27th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #3027
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
How is having more than 60 +200m buildings in active construction calming down? I think that is more than any other city. Most Chinese cities are still building a lot, like Chongqing and Wuhan. Hong Kong is only stopped because the current NIMBY lobby is really strong developers are not willing to put out landmark projects anymore. Of course that does not mean Hong Kong is not building anything.
I think he's saying that we're not getting a new supertall proposal for Shenzhen every 2 weeks like we used to before (back in 2013 and 2014). In that sense it has cooled down

ChuckScraperMiami#1, stop that liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #3028
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

makes sense.. lol

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #3029
ILITS

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Not a whole lot to debate here.

With Brooklyn/Jersey City :

https://www.cityrealty.com/file/2bb7...778b8d5117ef62

With Long Island City :

https://www.cityrealty.com/file/2bb7...778b8d5117ef62
Well, I think NY obsession with thin towers has gone too far. It'll look like a hedgehog, or like a giant array of a TV/radio towers.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Tommy Boy liked this post
ILITS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #3030
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

How is it that NY, already at that size, is till growing tremendously?!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Hindustani liked this post
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #3031
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Because it's the alpha world city and everyone on the planet wants to live there

Well not everyone... but many
Old June 28th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #3032
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Because it's the alpha world city and everyone on the planet wants to live there

Well not everyone... but many
That includes me! I'm working on getting a Master's then moving to NYC!
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #3033
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Because it's the financial capital of the world, primary city in a nation of 330 million people, and the US has the world's largest economy. Of course it's still growing.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #3034
isaidso
the new republic

Toronto, Ontario

From the West

Downtown Aerial

From farther out

Yorkville

Looking Southwest

All courtesy of koops65

Old June 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #3035
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22553

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Toronto, Ontario

From the West

All courtesy of koops65
Chicago needs its current boom to expand if it wants to keep the #2 skyline in North America.

A Stop in CHI Town by Andrew Webb Curtis, on Flickr
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #3036
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Chicago needs its current boom to expand if it wants to keep the #2 skyline in North America.
Projections way back in 2012 suggested that Toronto's skyline might catch up to Chicago's in ~ 10 years. A lot of people scoffed at the notion but it looks increasingly like that's precisely what will happen.

Even if Chicago ramps up the pace of construction it probably won't be enough to hold on to #2. I'd say around 2022-23 they'll be about the same size and it will come down to personal preference.

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #3037
PsyLock

Likes (Received): 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Projections way back in 2012 suggested that Toronto's skyline might catch up to Chicago's in ~ 10 years. A lot of people scoffed at the notion but it looks increasingly like that's precisely what will happen.

Even if Chicago ramps up the pace of construction it probably won't be enough to hold on to #2. I'd say around 2022-23 they'll be about the same size and it will come down to personal preference.
I thought Toronto has already overtaken Chicago in #s long time. But I agree. In the near future, it'll all come down to personal preference which has been happening quite for some time now. At this point, the only thing Chicago has over Toronto are its 6 supertalls.

PsyLock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #3038
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31752

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyLock View Post
I thought Toronto has already overtaken Chicago in #s long time. But I agree. In the near future, it'll all come down to personal preference which has been happening quite for some time now. At this point, the only thing Chicago has over Toronto are its 6 supertalls.

I do not agree. There is also variety of architectural style, layering of materials, and placement of iconic buildings.
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #3039
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

OH MY GOD Hudson11, If QuantumX " Steve " would of Lived for another 2 Years to see this LIVE as he did just over 2 Years ago there with Some of Our SSC Moderators , SSC Brothers , and SSC Sisters and SSC Friends, He loved Visiting this Hugeeeeee Growing Canada City to be # 1 in 2025 in North America other than Panama City on the list, It's Closed to # 1 for either Toronto or Panama City to be # 1 in North America Only in 2025, New York City a # 2 or # 3 , we'll see by then, remember this is IMO Only, Not to be a Judge Here at all !!
We Will Never Forget the SSC Former World Moderator " QuantumX " Of the Seas Captain " Q "
Rest In Peace Stephen " Steve " McFarland, Born October 7th, 1955 in Jacksonville, Florida, United States of America, Lived to be in a Better place with His SSC Brother and His SSC Animals in a Better SSC Kingdom Up there on February 4th, 2015 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

A Stop in CHI Town by Andrew Webb Curtis, on Flickr
Live Long and Prosper All Our SSC Moderators , SSC Founders, SSC Brothers and SSC Sisters and of Course SSC Friends and SSC Guests of Our # 1 SkyScraperCity Dot Com Website for almost 14 Stronger Every Year on September 11th, 911 " We Will Never Forget " !!
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 02:13 AM   #3040
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I do not agree. There is also variety of architectural style, layering of materials, and placement of iconic buildings.
Chicago has better placement of iconic buildings and still a slim edge in architecture. At the rate Toronto is building will either hold true 10 years from now? I doubt it.

Layering? They both started building high rises in the 1890s. How could the layering be better when both cities have lots of buildings from every era over the last 120+ years? I might add that you can't see the historic high rises of either city in most skyline shots. I agree on some of your points but not all of it.

Last edited by isaidso; July 1st, 2016 at 02:22 AM.

Tags
skyline