daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #321
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Lol

London fans just wouldn't give up. admirable.
but Sorry, for me, still.. not even in the top 20.. even in 2025.

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #322
vfG
Villeurbanne

Likes (Received): 1834

Despite the efforts of Shenzen of building thousands and thousands of skyscrapers, I prefer London skyline ... quality is not quantity in my world ...

London is UNIQUE and recognizable at the first look :

This city could on of theses new spread asians skyline ...

In comparison oothers asians skylines are much more recognizable and has better quality buildings :

Singapore

Yokohama

But also HK, GZ or CQ

RhôneAlps
>emerging skyline<
ONLYLYON

-----------------------------------------------
LUANDA
>emerging world<
AngolAfrica

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
vfG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #323
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I have no obligation to support any city, but your responses do seem to be said with a bit of a chip on it's shoulder.

I remember when London first started building tall - everyone was loving it. Now skyscrapers are being planned and built left, right and center it seems people are starting to go ... "whooaaa, this isn't right" in a form of frantic jealousy that London, might ... just might become a power house in terms of skyline form.

Now, London will never achieve density like Shenzhen, but asthetically, having the likes of St Pauls Cathedral, Millennium Dome, London Eye, Hundreds of church spires amongst the likes of The Shard, Swiss Re etc will be alot more interesting to look at then the majority of skylines across the world.
Chip on a shoulder would require the emergence of a rival. When it comes to skylines, Europe isn't even on the radar of most north Americans. We look to our own cities and to Asia. It's nice to see skyscrapers being built in London, but let's get real here. London's got a very very long way to go.

Btw, if I had a chip on my shoulder I'd resent the big skylines sprouting up in Asia, but I don't. Shanghai, Hong Kong, Manila, Bangkok, Guangzhou, Mumbai, Dubai, Tokyo, etc. They're all wonderful. Your 'chip on your shoulder' argument is groundless, insulting, and you're really reaching there. The dismissal of London as a big skyline city is for the simple reason that it doesn't have one.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Avemano, Hayaki, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; August 7th, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #324
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
I wouldn't look too far into it isaidso has a huge colonial chip on his shoulder about the UK.
So if anyone dismisses some absurdity coming out of the UK, it's because they have some colonial chip on their shoulder? And America is now a colony in your mind? Well it's clear what you're all about.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 7th, 2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #325
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Indeed it is the best city in the world when it comes to balancing old with new.
Come on now. It's that sort of language that's just going to make people's eyes roll. Can you not say that London has done a successful job marrying old with new? Why is it always, we're the best, we're #1, etc. Just a few days ago, it was another person proclaiming that Britain invented the hipster (not sure why you'd want to claim that). It gets a little tiring, tbh.

Old August 7th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #326
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuree View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth

The London army is here
London army is a good word for it. They certainly get their knickers in a knot at the mere suggestion that they're not #1 in something.

Old August 7th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #327
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

We all know that people have completely different personal measurements for judging a skyline.
Also, most of the forumers who bring their 'arguments' here, appear to be some kind of biased in regards of London's skyline, in either directions.

In my opinion London does have one of the best (if not the very best) skylines of Europe at the moment and also a quite promising future. This is, however, surely not enough to be one of the best skylines in the world, also not by 2025. For me it currently ranks at around #30 worldwide and is likely to climb up to ~ the 25th spot in 2025. There is a lot of competition, but I believe London to stay one of the very few Western cities that will not lose ground in the near future.
Eduardo L. Ramirez está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #328
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
In my opinion London does have one of the best (if not the very best) skylines of Europe at the moment and also a quite promising future. This is, however, surely not enough to be one of the best skylines in the world, also not by 2025. For me it currently ranks at around #30 worldwide and is likely to climb up to ~ the 25th spot in 2025. There is a lot of competition, but I believe London to stay one of the very few Western cities that will not lose ground in the near future.
I agree with all of that.

Old August 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #329
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
London army is a good word for it. They certainly get their knickers in a knot at the mere suggestion that they're not #1 in something.
I guess this thread should be locked for a while...

Highcliff liked this post
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #330
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Show us some photos then. Your words can't be taken for granted, it might be all lies. By the way, are most those 'luxurious' apartments over 10 stories tall? If not, then referring to those lowrise buildings is irrelevant here at skyscrapercity.
What words can't be taken for granted? Please explain. I'd love to know what the hell you are talking about.

Quote:
The way you spoke earlier, I assumed London already had hundreds of tall luxarious apartments?

Photos please
The way I spoke earlier? Please could you expand on this? As far as I can see I clearly mentioned that London is now constructing lots of high spec high-rises which will have a significant effect on how it's skyline topography will look over the next decade. Those mixed with the crop of what it already has plus the church spires, monuments, stadiums etc which all have an impact on the skyline will undoubtedly give it a much more pleasing and asthetic skyline then "many" of other world cities. (not all) - the question posed in this thread is what will be "SOME" of the best skylines by 2025. Not what will be the best. It seems others aren't allowed to have a different opinion for some unknown reason. - In response to your quote - Where did I even say London has hundreds of luxurious highrise apartments?? It does - but I never even said it. This is what happens when people create a debate and argue posting trollish comments without even knowing what they are talking about. They end up making shit up to try and prove a point which has no relevance to anything anyone has previously said.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #331
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

What I find quite ironic also is that this thread clearly relates to the FUTURE.

All you guys seem to have a very dismissive view on imagination and creativity.

You all seem to think that those with the density at the moment will remain the Worlds Best completely over-looking cities which aren't traditionally highrise now constructing taller.

Its normally these cities that produce significantly better cityscapes due to strict planning obligations and sightlines then the monsterous cities without these.

Isaidso - You cannot even deny your affiliation with "chip on shoulder" routine when it comes to London. You stink of it. And yes - London is the best city in the world when it comes to mixing architectural styles. Not only does it have more types than any other city (Edwardian, Georgian, Victorian, Tudor, Modern, Neo-Gothic) etc etc but it also adapts to the new more than any historical city in the world. You cant even deny this surely? If you do it's just another sign of your ridiculously childish attitude to London. I am not even from London so I think my opinion is just as valid as anyone elses so the I find it utterly pathetic people say "London mafia" etc etc which is not only patronising but ******* immature to say the least.

Last edited by Birmingham; August 7th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old August 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #332
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Man, I hear all the rant about London's mind blowing architecture...can you please provide us with a photo of London's high quality 100 meter tall residential buildings? I would like to know if London really has so many 'quality' apartments as it claims, or all of those talks are nothing but bluff.

Do me a favour, don't show me photos of 3-10 storied buildings. I want high quality photos of tall apartments (this is skyscrapercity, folks)

Photos please, anyone?

If you have a spare week.... because that's how long it would take to brush the surface....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post105951705
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #333
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfG View Post
Despite the efforts of Shenzen of building thousands and thousands of skyscrapers, I prefer London skyline ... quality is not quantity in my world ...

London is UNIQUE and recognizable at the first look :

Thanks for the HUGE photo, but where is the skyline? If this is your so called skyline, then there are 100 better skylines in the world at the moment. Big Ben is famous, but this structure alone can't create a skyline.
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #334
LondonFox
BANNED

That picture is also about 7 years old.
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #335
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
If you have a spare week.... because that's how long it would take to brush the surface....
Sorry, I don't have a spare week. If you've got photos in your hand, post them right away. Please meet the criteria which was mentioned earlier, I want photos of luxarious highrise apartments of London (over 10 storied tall). Lets see how many you can muster. If those apartment are built close to each other, it should form a cityscape. This hype about high quality highrise apartments of London has been nothing but fruitless talk. If there are building under construction, you may post them as well.

Avemano liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #336
LondonFox
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have a spare week. If you've got photos in your hand, post them right away. Please meet the criteria which was mentioned earlier, I want photos of luxarious highrise apartments of London (over 10 storied tall). Lets see how many you can muster. If those apartment are built close to each other, it should form a cityscape. This hype about high quality highrise apartments of London has been nothing but fruitless talk. If there are building under construction, you may post them as well.

I'm not your personal assistant... you want pictures.. you search for them.

Birmingham liked this post
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #337
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
You need to learn some manners, dude. Don't you have freedom of speech in your country? If you don't have anything useful or relevant to provide him with, then you can politely turn him down. Why lose your temper?
Manners?? Being controlling and dominant like he was deserves no manners. And yes, we do. We created modern democracy so don't patronise. I lost my temper because you and him are both as bad as one another, failing to actually listen to anything anybody says. What is the point of having a debate if you're going to constantly over look informative replies to be completely ignorant??? Infact what is the point of you two even being ona forum like this if you have ZERO knowledge of construction?? Is it to get kicks from being internet trolls?? Get a grip. And if you still don't want to answer specific questions but you want to answer hes question which seems to been plucked from thin air in relation to imaginary posts nobody has even posted then here you go.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old August 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #338
LondonFox
BANNED

Good for a start... you're missing quite a few though mate
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #339
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Manners?? Being controlling and dominant like he was deserves no manners. And yes, we do. We created modern democracy so don't patronise. I lost my temper because you and him are both as bad as one another, failing to actually listen to anything anybody says. What is the point of having a debate if you're going to constantly over look informative replies to be completely ignorant??? Infact what is the point of you two even being ona forum like this if you have ZERO knowledge of construction?? Is it to get kicks from being internet trolls?? Get a grip. And if you still don't want to answer specific questions but you want to answer hes question which seems to been plucked from thin air in relation to imaginary posts nobody has even posted then here you go.
All these renders of apartments are somewhat nice quality wise, but I don't understand the euphoria regarding their architecture. There are better looking residential apartments in my own city. By the way the lowrise buildings surrounding them are absolutely hideous and obsolete. There are no tall buildings around those apartments complement their unparalleled 'beauty'. And these 18 buildings are supposed to create a better skyline than it's right now?

I find it very amusing that you try to dismiss some skylines by considering this handful amount of 'exquisite' highrises which are situated in the midst of grotesque lowrises of London, assuming that these lonely towers would beat certain skylines which would have thousands of such towers by 2025. Really amusing
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #340
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
All these renders of apartments are somewhat nice quality wise, but I don't understand the euphoria regarding their architecture. There are better looking residential apartments in my own city. By the way the lowrise buildings surrounding them are absolutely hideous and obsolete. There are no tall buildings around those apartments complement their unparalleled 'beauty'. And these 18 buildings are supposed to create a better skyline than it's right now?
Please show me them. Architecturally the specification I doubt would even be comparable to the specification of most of these unless you live in North America or Europe. The lowrise residential buildings around them are absolutely hideous?? Have you heard of re-development and master plans?? You don't just build towers amongst crap and if you do there are many fees to pay in going towards a pot to help others redevelop the areas around it.

And these "18" buildings are a handful. Did you really expect me to go through them all. Stop being so lazy and do some research yourself. I'm not even from London. Jesus. These are just some built and U/C. The big ones which will really have an affect on the skyline such as South Quay, City Pride etc are only approved and despite due for construction soon would not have fitted your criteria. You really are something.

Quote:
I find it very amusing that you try to dismiss some skylines by considering this handful amount of 'exquisite' highrises which are situated in the midst of grotesque lowrises of London, assuming that these lonely towers would beat certain skylines which would have thousands of such towers by 2025. Really amusing
Now London is grotesque at streetscape? you are some character. You're also very thick if you think these handful of towers are the only towers. They don't even scrape the surface. These also are just Residential towers. If you didn't know London's office market is ridiculously strong.

When 75% of all new apartments and homes in your city are brought by foreigners then come back and have a chat. Must be a reason why there spending millions on 1 bed apartments and it's not because they're shit.

My I also give you a heads up.

Another photo compilation regarding the lowrise streetscape of London with single towers sporadically spread about ...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1644394

Tags
skyline