daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #341
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Please show me them. Architecturally the specification I doubt would even be comparable to the specification of most of these unless you live in North America or Europe. The lowrise residential buildings around them are absolutely hideous?? Have you heard of re-development and master plans?? You don't just build towers amongst crap and if you do there are many fees to pay in going towards a pot to help others redevelop the areas around it.

And these "18" buildings are a handful. Did you really expect me to go through them all. Stop being so lazy and do some research yourself. I'm not even from London. Jesus. These are just some built and U/C. The big ones which will really have an affect on the skyline such as South Quay, City Pride etc are only approved and despite due for construction soon would not have fitted your criteria. You really are something.

Now London is grotesque at streetscape? you are some character. You're also very thick if you think these handful of towers are the only towers. They don't even scrape the surface. These also are just Residential towers. If you didn't know London's office market is ridiculously strong.

When 75% of all new apartments and homes in your city are brought by foreigners then come back and have a chat. Must be a reason why there spending millions on 1 bed apartments and it's not because they're shit.

My I also give you a heads up.

Another photo compilation regarding the lowrise streetscape of London with single towers sporadically spread about ...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1644394
Pardon me, but London's skyline which comprise of lowrises with obsolete architecture does seem grotesque and inferior in comparison to skylines with tall buildings with modern architecture imo. London may not look hideous from street level, but it sure sure does from aerial view. I've been spoilt by observing grand and elegant skylines which consist of modern architectural buildings, so it annoys me when someone claims a city which has very few skyscrapers has a possesses better 'skyline' than a city which has hundreds of them. I wasn't supposed to expect London to be like Puxi or Manhattan, but your bragging remarks about its skyline persuaded me to do so. And I'm VERY disappointed by what I witnessed. If you don't have anything prodigious to offer then you can consider keeping your voice low, otherwise you would make a fool of yourself in front of others. It's no shame in accepting that London skyline is absolutely mediocre in comparison to major skylines of the world. If you think that London would be among the top skylines by 2025, good for you. I mean no disrespect.

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; August 7th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #342
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

I would say London currently is in the same league of LA (which i have particularly have no love for.. )

more than a decade from now, for sure it will significantly change.

But how significant the change is relative to other cities is the question?

For a skyline that small, It should at least be as "PERFECTLY COMPACT looking" as Singapore to be even called "one of the best"..
but looking at it, in my Opinion it would take more than 2025 to even achieve to be at the same level of compactness of Singapore.

It also helps that Singapore skyline is at a waterfront, which London doesn't have. Not something that is to have, but a bonus.

Last edited by wino; August 7th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #343
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

There are two facts that makes skylines look good. Quantity+Quality.
Shenzhen lacks one:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

London lacks the other one:
image hosted on flickr

Highcliff, Fab87, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Frozt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #344
wino

Londoners always argue about QUALITY.

isn't it so easy for a skyline to be called "with Quality" when you only have 5-10 of them tall buildings, eh?
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #345
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

5/10 highrises don't create a skyline. Quantity is not the most important factor, but a city must have at least a sizeable amount of skyscrapers to make a plausible argument for it.

Why didn't London have skyscrapers in the first place like New York or Chicago? Is it because UK is poorer than USA? That doesn't seem the case. Whatever, any city with moderate GDP can construct 20 highrises of decent quality within a compact complex. That doesn't mean it's become a skyline. New York is ahead of Shenzhen because it has quantity, and most of the buildings look good. London's name can't be spoken alongside New York or American cities in this department. If Shenzhen skyline is full of ugly highrises, then London doesn't have much of a skyline, because it's full of lowrise buildings which don't contribute to the skyline at all.

(5/6 buildings don't matter much when you're talking about a skyline as a whole)

Avemano, Highcliff liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #346
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 898

C'mon guys, London's skyline isn't that bad actually. And if Londoners would like to believe it could become one of the world's best, why don't you just let them..
Let's move on.

I think the cities in Saudia Arabia are definitely the ones to watch out for in the near future. There is a lot of construction going on in Riyadh, Mecca and Jeddah currently and I'm quite sure they (at least Riyadh) will soon be on the same level as Abu Dhabi and Kuwait City (my second favourite skylines in the region after Dubai).

I'm a bit concerned regarding the skylines in Latin America and Africa. I don't think I'll have one of them (except Panama City) in my Top 30 by 2025, in case of Africa not even Top 50. Does anyone know why construction has almost stopped in formerly competitive cities like Johannesburg, Cape Town or Nairobi? I mean, these cities are not poorer now than they have been some 20-30 years ago when there had been plenty of construction. .

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #347
wino

I'm intrigued by Abu Dhabi's ambition to be the next Dubai...
but it's skyline right now is pretty "funny" with just one boulevard..

any way, any good projects in the pipeline for Abu Dhabi? Probably there are lots?

I'm pretty sure Arab cities are very ambitious in building skylines.. but watch out for bubbles.

BTW- I like Doha's skyline.. a lot better than London IMO. But I'm not too sure if the city are building more...
The Doha Convention Center Tower (551 m ) is currently on hold I think.. (mainly because of airport restriction issues accdg to wiki, they will resume once the new airport is done)

TowerVerre:), Avemano, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by wino; August 7th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #348
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Should I be amazed so many people spent so much energy debating one city's candidacy in a qualitative opinion poll, or simply chalk it up to "humans+internet=inane objectification?"

I am surprised no one did that all-too-internet thingy of trying to quantify the unquantifiable. You know - Develop a formula for measuring skyline appeal! How about (total bldgs over 100 meters/city population + total bldgs over 200 meters) * total score from a poll ranking most appealing skyscrapers!!!

There. Now go forth and compare each others' phallic displays!
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #349
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 898

1. Doha
2. London
3. Barcelona

I don't like Doha's skyline. I mean, it's impressive and has a kind of nice setting, but some of the buildings look absolutely ridiculous and/or hideous. Therefore, I must say in the Arabian Peninsula I prefer Abu Dhabi, Kuwait City, Riyadh and Manama (and of course Dubai) to Doha, although the architectural style in those cities is also not my cup of tea in most cases.
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #350
Toronto3

Likes (Received): 10

Actually Wino, Abu Dhabi is controlling their projects more closely. Compared to Dubai's spontaneous growth, Abu Dhabi is carefully planning for the city's success. They believe that the benefits of planning will see Abu Dhabi rise above Dubai in business, tourism etc. So yes there is ambition but not necessarily to be the next Dubai :P
Toronto3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #351
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Londons skyline is alright. Its a "nice" skyline, not much to say about it though. Same league with Philly..maybe.

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #352
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8758

Here are two pictures of London, to continue to pour oil on the fire.
City of London
image hosted on flickr

by Lumberjack
Canary Wharf /London

Compared to:

Frankfurt

by Patrick Müller
or Paris

by Steph35

Last edited by KlausDiggy; August 8th, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #353
F-22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 317

Official construction and projects thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=315079

This render shows details of each building, but many recently proposed and approved projects are still missing. Please scroll to the right side to view the entire image.

Old August 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #354
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

I'll stick with these in no particular order:

Shanghai, New York, Shenzhen, Manila, Toronto, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Mumbai, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjin, Tokyo.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 8th, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #355
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

-del double post-

Last edited by Pals_RGB; August 8th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #356
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'll stick with these in no particular order:

Shanghai, New York, Shenzhen, Manila, Toronto, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Mumbai, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjin, Tokyo.
What about Chicago and KL ?
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #357
isaidso
the new republic

They could both be in the mix as well.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #358
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Manila?? Seriously?? Say's it all about this thread really. Anyone who thinks Manila's skyline is world class has a serious size fascination or never been. Please visit. It just highlights peoples fascination with quantity when people nominate that place as a world class skyline. It's like nominating Benidorm just because it's got hundreds of commie blocks and building a hundred more. Doesn't change the fact it is the definition of "crap" despite it looking from a distance really quite good.

-Corey-, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #359
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Some one should create a thread to find the balance between quality and quantity.

Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #360
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Manila?? Seriously?? Say's it all about this thread really. Anyone who thinks Manila's skyline is world class has a serious size fascination or never been.

This thread pertains to 2025. You have no idea what's being built there, do you? I nominate the Westmount Square skyline then. International Style elegance. Quality over quantity.

Avemano, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; August 8th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Tags
skyline