daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #21
Hayaki

Likes (Received): 92

Random

~Hong Kong
~New York City
~Shanghai
~Shenzhen
~Seoul
~Manila
~Guangzhou
~Chongqing
~Toronto
~Kuala Lumpur

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #22
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

- Mumbai
- Port Said
- Jeddah
- Mecca
- Baku
- Jakarta
- Shenzhen
- Guangzhou
- Tianjin
- Suzhou
- Manila
- Kuala Lumpur
- Chongqing
- Bangkok
- Dubai
- Riyadh
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #23
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

1. Shanghai
2. Hong Kong
3. NYC
4. Shenzhen
5. Chongqing
6. Manila
7. Bangkok
8. Dubai
9. Chicago
10. Mumbai

11. Jakarta
12. Seoul
13. Singapore
14. KL
15. Nanjing

also watch out for Doha, Paris, Moscow, Hanoi and Riyadh.
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #24
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
- Mumbai
- Port Said
- Jeddah
- Mecca
- Baku
- Jakarta
- Shenzhen
- Guangzhou
- Tianjin
- Suzhou
- Manila
- Kuala Lumpur
- Chongqing
- Bangkok
- Dubai
- Riyadh
yeah carry on. Add colombo, Karachi, Bali, Baghdad, Lhasa, Dhaka and many more too.
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #25
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
Shanghai hasn't got many skyscrapers under construction, because there isn't much space. I don't think it will have one of the best skylines. Shenzhen is the fastest growing city right now and it has got a lot of potential for being the best in ten years. I think New York will remain in the top3, but Hong Kong will be out. Hong kong doesn't have any tall skyscraper U/C and many chinese cities will catch it. Also, it possible that the cities in the Pearl River area will merge and form a megacity with an amazing skyline. If Dubai wins the 2020 expo,(very possible) it will have a big boom, and probably go into the top 3. This is my top3 for 2025:
1-Shenzhen(Or the Pearl River city)
2-New York City
3-Dubai(If it wins the expo)
Is there a big chance that something like a Pearl River city happens? if so it would be the biggest city in the world with most supertalls skyscrapers and buildings for sure and much different characters in one city. It would be amazing if you ask me.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #26
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

it's very difficult to say, so many big cities on earth are building towers like hell at the moment. just look at all the chinese cities ( especially Shenzhen ) or Kuala Lumpur, toronto, Jakarta and many more.
there will be so many awesome skylines in 2025, but at the very top will be NYC as always .
2nd place? could be indeed Shenzhen
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #27
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
New York and Hong Kong will still have the best skylines. They aren't building supertalls intermittently throughout the entire city like the mega cities of China. Whereas in NYC all of the supertalls will likely be located in Manhattan, and around Victoria Harbor in HK.
Good point. Size isn't everything, for a good skyline you need tight clusters and density.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM   #28
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Shenzhen will have the best skyline, by far. It already has 3 completed supertalls, 14 supertalls under construction and 21 more proposed for construction. Unlike Dubai, Shenzhen has numerous highrises and midrises under construction as well, so that takes care of the density issue. By 2025 cities like New York and Hong Kong will appear as midgets when scaled next to Shenzhen. And a midget skyline can't beat a skyline with 38 supertalls, no matter how dense (at that degree of height, high concentration of tiny highrises will become a non-factor).
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:10 AM   #29
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Shenzhen will have the best skyline, by far. It already has 3 completed supertalls, 14 supertalls under construction and 21 more proposed for construction. Unlike Dubai, Shenzhen has numerous highrises and midrises under construction as well, so that takes care of the density issue. By 2025 cities like New York and Hong Kong will appear as midgets when scaled next to Shenzhen. And a midget skyline can't beat a skyline with 38 supertalls, no matter how dense (at that degree of height, high concentration of tiny highrises will become a non-factor).
supertalls dont make a good skyline..if they did dubai would be #1 sure they add to it but, its not all about supertalls
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:53 AM   #30
fasszz

Likes (Received): 97

image hosted on flickr

credit to Ariffin

definitely my KL will be in the top 20!

*many people think KL got just few skyscrapers..the truth is, KLCC and KL tower are both high that they dwarf other buildings and make them look tiny...

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
fasszz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:56 AM   #31
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Though there are many aspects in which Shenzhen cannot compete with Hong Kong or New York.

Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:39 AM   #32
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
supertalls dont make a good skyline..if they did dubai would be #1 sure they add to it but, its not all about supertalls
Shenzhen will have more buildings than New York in the 150-299 meter range by 2025. Yes I agree supertalls alone don't make a good skyline, but this is Shenzhen we're talking about, not Dubai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Though there are many aspects in which Shenzhen cannot compete with Hong Kong or New York.
At present it can't. But it sure will be viable competitor in most criteria by 2040 (Shenzhen's economy is growing at 10% per annum). However this is skyscrapercity and we're concerned only about buildings and structures of cities/towns, nothing else.

Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:43 AM   #33
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
Shanghai hasn't got many skyscrapers under construction, because there isn't much space. I don't think it will have one of the best skylines. Shenzhen is the fastest growing city right now and it has got a lot of potential for being the best in ten years.
- Good point here. Shanghai is China's current number 1. It will soon reach its foreseeable zenith with the completion of Shanghai tower in 2015? After that I'd say it will take a backseat to Shenzhen and Guangzhou in developments.

Shenzhen being relatively less well known compared to Shanghai will need more international media exposure for general public to recognize it as one of the best skylines. Maybe a spot of of Pingan in a future hollywood movie would help. (like Petronas in Entrapment, Hongkong IFC in Tomb raider 2, Burj Khalifa in Mission Impossible 4 and so on.)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278

great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM   #34
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 804

unless we have some instant historical revival, then NYC and Chicago

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:10 AM   #35
hater

Likes (Received): 1219

Moscow ( really like the current projects )
Baku ( huge construction boom , can't wait to see it by 2030 )
Jeddah ( many projects going, hopefully they will build a few tall towers around Kindgdom Tower , would look very good)
hater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:38 AM   #36
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Sharing the post made by Faisal Shourov in another thread.
I pick Shenzen as no 1 by 2025 because of this + the large scale construction going on.
Quote:
At least Shenzhen has lots mid-rise apartment blocks, 80% of London and Frankfurt's skyline comprise of 3-6 storied low-rise buildings. Not that I dislike them. Shenzhen is rapidly changing and it's downtown is highly underrated by the Western media when portraying skyline (as if the city doesn't exist). And how would one consider a structure as a landmark, that depends solely upon you. Shun Hing Sqaure is the first supertall building built in Mainland China; Kingkey 100 can be considered a landmark as well. Both buildings look very prominent in both day at night. Perhaps this photo should change your perception about Shenzhen for the good

If not, I'm sure these will suffice

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #37
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

My thought is that - assuming no World War III 'business venture' or major natural catastrophes - I feel that Shenzhen, NewYork, Tianjin and Dubai will have the most impressive skylines. If Chinese investment in Midwest heightens further, then Chicago may get boost from there too (remember it was the Chinese who wanted to finance the Miglin Beitler Skyneedle there prior to Iraqi wars). as for Dubai, it can't stop building its skyline even if it stands half empty as it became the city's trademark now, I guess.

As for Pearl River City, it is a physical reality right now today. I commute very often between HK, Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Foshan, Huizhou and this is physically one high rise urban area without breaks, unless you consider the occassional 'green islands with reservoirs' as the carefully managed 'lungs'. I'd say, if looking at the real numbers, not official statistics, we're talking about 80 million people in that agglomeration.

So, yes, by 2025 you could also consider HK-SZ-GZ as a single city with 160 km long skyline and some 20-odd CBDs... consider that Dongguan has 2 CBDs with confirmed supetalls (Nancheng and Houjie) in between SZ and GZ, and one could do a very nice continuous skyline flight from one end to another, always surrounded by tall towers. In that case, that would be the World's No.1 skyline...
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #38
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Only ONE word comes to my mind: Chongqing

The shape is almost pefect but they have to improve the quality of individual buildings:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1, terpi liked this post
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:41 AM   #39
Tinchake
Heureux à Paris

Likes (Received): 60

1. Hong Kong
2. Dubai
3. Shenzhen
4. New York
5. Shanghai
6. Chicago
7. London
8. Tokyo
9. Mumbai
10. Kuala Lumpur

n20, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Tinchake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #40
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
- Mumbai
- Port Said
- Jeddah
- Mecca
- Baku
- Jakarta
- Shenzhen
- Guangzhou
- Tianjin
- Suzhou
- Manila
- Kuala Lumpur
- Chongqing
- Bangkok
- Dubai
- Riyadh
The city in Egypt? Is there anything going on there??
I thought it had no skyline at all..

Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline