daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #381
808 state
--=AiNoKeA=--

Likes (Received): 773

dp

ILOCOS NORTE - THE FIRST FULLY ISO-CERTIFIED PHILIPPINE PROVINCE

SSC Ilocos Norte

Last edited by 808 state; August 9th, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
808 state no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #382
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
This is quality? Seriously? And egg shaped structure, a wannabe glass pyramid, a black box, a midrise with cross-hatch pattern? Some fugly lowrise scattered throughout the area? What's left to be constructed? A ***** shaped tower?

London has neither the 'quality' (!) nor the quantity or height to be part of a skyline discussion, as of now. Lets see what else they can bring by 2025
Don't exaggerate. London's skyscrapers aren't so bad.
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #383
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rani View Post
Don't exaggerate. London's skyscrapers aren't so bad.
Well, beautiful and ugliness depends on perspective. Too much diversity can ruin a skyline. What Londoner may behold as heavenly might seem very tacky and kitschy to others. And most of those bizarre looking structures of London don't qualify as skyscrapers either (<200 meters). Perhaps he was indirectly trying to subdue the hysteria regarding London's 'elegant architecture', of which many of us here are unable to comprehend what the fuss is all about?

Avemano, Dito Roso liked this post

Last edited by Joseph Gomes; August 9th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #384
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVO ECIJANO View Post
You better visit the Manila Projects and Construction and see for yourself.Dont look down on us.we know what is beautiful and tacky.
I have kept up to date and I do look at the projects as I was interested in it's boom after I visited.

There are some lots of great projects. As I did state before, however you seem to have ignored that bit, but there are also hundreds of turds aswell.

This does not compliment the skyline and makes a mockery of some of the fantastic towers being built. It's that simple.

Building 2 fantastic towers when it's surrounded by half a dozen concrete commie blocks does not equal a world class skyline.

It stinks of doing things to quick and on the cheap.That's the reality.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #385
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Well, beautiful and ugliness depends on perspective. Too much diversity can ruin a skyline. What Londoner may behold as heavenly might seem very tacky and kitschy to others. And most of those bizarre looking structures of London don't qualify as skyscrapers either (<200 meters). Perhaps he was indirectly trying to subdue the hysteria regarding London's 'elegant architecture', of which many of us here are unable to comprehend what's the fuss all about?
You're replies just stink of being a troll. Have you nothing better to do??
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #386
vfG
Villeurbanne

Likes (Received): 1834

Quote:
Well, beautiful and ugliness depends on perspective. Too much diversity can ruin a skyline. What Londoner may behold as heavenly might seem very tacky and kitschy to others. And most of those bizarre looking structures of London don't qualify as skyscrapers either (<200 meters). Perhaps he was indirectly trying to subdue the hysteria regarding London's 'elegant architecture', of which many of us here are unable to comprehend what the fuss is all about?
any troll to give a +1 to this comment ?

You can also read this quote with a snobish accent ...
Quote:
And most of those bizarre looking structures of London don't qualify as skyscrapers either (<200 meters).

RhôneAlps
>emerging skyline<
ONLYLYON

-----------------------------------------------
LUANDA
>emerging world<
AngolAfrica
vfG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #387
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8764

Who has it with the 200 m on Skyscrapercity actually thought? In our latitudes and (CTBUH) are 150 m/492 ft a measure of skyscrapers.

Last edited by KlausDiggy; August 9th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
KlausDiggy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #388
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Building 2 fantastic towers when it's surrounded by half a dozen concrete commie blocks does not equal a world class skyline.
YES I agree, Many of our buildings are concrete (mainly because our country in situated in a major earthquake zone).
But it's not ugly at all, it gives diversity and variety as well, in mixture with steel and glass buildings.

but "commie blocks"?
Our buildings although concrete, has a lot more character than dull blocks.
Yes, some of these buildings are ugly. But not as ugly as commie blocks IMO.

Cmon', I'm pretty sure you are just exaggerating.

If you still disagree, just calling them "Blocks" is fair enough. Just not "commie", coz we are not communist.

Last edited by wino; August 9th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #389
Hayaki

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
I have kept up to date and I do look at the projects as I was interested in it's boom after I visited.

There are some lots of great projects. As I did state before, however you seem to have ignored that bit, but there are also hundreds of turds aswell.

This does not compliment the skyline and makes a mockery of some of the fantastic towers being built. It's that simple.

It stinks of doing things to quick and on the cheap.That's the reality.

Avemano liked this post
Hayaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #390
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
This is quality? Seriously? And egg shaped structure, a wannabe glass pyramid, a black box, a midrise with cross-hatch pattern? Some fugly lowrise scattered throughout the area? What's left to be constructed? A ***** shaped tower?

London has neither the 'quality' (!) nor the quantity or height to be part of a skyline discussion, as of now. Lets see what else they can bring by 2025
Well done. You have managed to describe buildings by their shapes. A 4 year old could do that.
I could say exactly the same for any city 'oh look at those box shaped buidlings, haha look at that white building'.
To pick one building as an example the so called 'egg shaped' building. The Gherkin. It has won many awards including I do believe the best new building in the world.

Union Man liked this post
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #391
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

It seems to me this thread is just going around in circles when best is what anybody wants it to be aside from numbers or figures you can actually count. Aside from actual numbers (height and quantity), it's just personal taste and based on what certain cities have on the drawing board now and projecting to what the skyline will be like in 2025, and even then, it depends on how much weight an individual wants to give to either height, quantity, or architectural design. In all actually, we won't know until we get threre. I'll probably be dead by then anyway.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #392
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
Well done. You have managed to describe buildings by their shapes. A 4 year old could do that.
I could say exactly the same for any city 'oh look at those box shaped buidlings, haha look at that white building'.
To pick one building as an example the so called 'egg shaped' building. The Gherkin. It has won many awards including I do believe the best new building in the world.
Few people apart from the British in this thread agree that London has a great skyline. The ugly lowrises surrounding the central complex made the skyline appear lackadaisical and lifeless; there is just no balance of height. By 2025 the change might be dramatic because London has very few skyscrapers as of now, but it will still find itself dwarfed in every category by its competitors in 2025 (if you consider skyscraper construction as a competition) - height, quantity, density and architecture (of 200m+ buildings only).

Even certain particular areas of the following cities will have more impressive skyline than London's- Shenzhen's Futian district, Guanzhou's Zhuijiang CBD, Shanghai's Puxi, Tianjin's Binhai CBD, Manila's Makati CBD. All these areas have very few/no ugly residential highrises (as some would like to say) according to their skyline images (not the skyline of the 'whole' city, just those particular areas). The skylines of these areas alone will be much bigger than London's entire skyline by 2025. Thus it's not so hard to perceive that London has a lot of catch up to do, and the pace is inadequate. In 2025, the aforementioned CBDs will have enough good looking structures which will overshadow the fewer ugly ones (if there's any present right now). So the quality crisis will become a null point.

Considering all the facts and information available, and assessing the current situation, it can be affirmed that London's skyline won't be amongst the best in the world (not in top 25, to say the least).

Avemano, Dito Roso liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #393
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I must say I do like this rendering though and the configuration of the skyline. If all of this actually gets built in the next 12 years, who is to say where London will stack up amongst the other great skylines of the world that took decades to evolve? I think the problem for London though is that fact that other skylines are not just standing still.

"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

bozenBDJ, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #394
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55291

Wow, awesome rendering! London future skyline will look fantastic !

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #395
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Wow, awesome rendering! London future skyline will look fantastic !
Yes, I like that rendering a lot. I love the placement of the buildings and the configuration of the skyline. Considering Miami went from having almost no skyline in the 20th century to having what is statistically the 3rd largest skyline in the U.S. in the 21st century, who can really say what London will be able achieve, but other skylines are not standing still, and London has a lot of ground to make up. Just when I thought New York didn't have any more room to build any more skyscrapers, they managed to find some.

My photo threads:

Old August 10th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #396
JmB & Co.

Likes (Received): 461

Which is this beautiful tower?

Quote:

JmB & Co. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #397
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmB & Co. View Post
Yes, I like that one too. It's one of the few of London's newer towers so far that I like.

My photo threads:

Old August 10th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #398
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

LONDON | One Blackfriars | 163m | 52 fl | U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmB & Co. View Post
LONDON | One Blackfriars | 163m | 52 fl | U/C .

P.S. Great looking skyscraper with a slim design .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #399
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Londoners always argue about QUALITY.

isn't it so easy for a skyline to be called "with Quality" when you only have 5-10 of them tall buildings, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'll stick with these in no particular order:

Shanghai, New York, Shenzhen, Manila, Toronto, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Mumbai, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Tianjin, Tokyo.
Quote:
5/10 highrises don't create a skyline. Quantity is not the most important factor, but a city must have at least a sizeable amount of skyscrapers to make a plausible argument for it.

Why didn't London have skyscrapers in the first place like New York or Chicago? Is it because UK is poorer than USA? That doesn't seem the case. Whatever, any city with moderate GDP can construct 20 highrises of decent quality within a compact complex. That doesn't mean it's become a skyline. New York is ahead of Shenzhen because it has quantity, and most of the buildings look good. London's name can't be spoken alongside New York or American cities in this department. If Shenzhen skyline is full of ugly highrises, then London doesn't have much of a skyline, because it's full of lowrise buildings which don't contribute to the skyline at all.

(5/6 buildings don't matter much when you're talking about a skyline as a whole)
+++ infinity.. soooo true.

Avemano, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #400
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Few people apart from the British in this thread agree that London has a great skyline. The ugly lowrises surrounding the central complex made the skyline appear lackadaisical and lifeless; there is just no balance of height. By 2025 the change might be dramatic because London has very few skyscrapers as of now, but it will still find itself dwarfed in every category by its competitors in 2025 (if you consider skyscraper construction as a competition) - height, quantity, density and architecture (of 200m+ buildings only).

Even certain particular areas of the following cities will have more impressive skyline than London's- Shenzhen's Futian district, Guanzhou's Zhuijiang CBD, Shanghai's Puxi, Tianjin's Binhai CBD, Manila's Makati CBD. All these areas have very few/no ugly residential highrises (as some would like to say) according to their skyline images (not the skyline of the 'whole' city, just those particular areas). The skylines of these areas alone will be much bigger than London's entire skyline by 2025. Thus it's not so hard to perceive that London has a lot of catch up to do, and the pace is inadequate. In 2025, the aforementioned CBDs will have enough good looking structures which will overshadow the fewer ugly ones (if there's any present right now). So the quality crisis will become a null point.

Considering all the facts and information available, and assessing the current situation, it can be affirmed that London's skyline won't be amongst the best in the world (not in top 25, to say the least).
I am not denying anything you have said...
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline