daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #401
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Shanghai in 1987...and Shanghai today

[IMG]http://i40.************/2ryhkjk.gif[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #402
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55231

Its unbelievable that in less than 30 years, Shanghai has transformed from a city with absolutely no skyline into one of the top ten cities in the world.
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #403
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

This was the view from my South Beach apartment in 1998 compared to now. Much more is under construction even as we speak and much more is scheduled to start construction soon including our first supertall and other buildings taller than what you current see here (Panorama Tower - 851 feet, Banco Santander - 950 feet, and One Bayfront Plaza - 1,010 feet which is our height limit). This is what I know is scheduled. We don't know what all else might come along depending on the strength of the market, but Miami is hot right now in more ways than one.

image hosted on flickr

August 7, 2005 (13) by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

21231703 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #404
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11193

Dubai

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
FloripaNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #405
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Shanghai in 2020

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #406
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

I am curious to find out where is all the money coming from to build in China? Are the architects Chinese or foreign - I have to give it to them, they have some amazing buildings.

miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #407
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
This was the view from my South Beach apartment in 1998 compared to now. Much more is under construction even as we speak and much more is scheduled to start construction soon including our first supertall and other buildings taller than what you current see here (Panorama Tower - 851 feet, Banco Santander - 950 feet, and One Bayfront Plaza - 1,010 feet which is our height limit). This is what I know is scheduled. We don't know what all else might come along depending on the strength of the market, but Miami is hot right now in more ways than one.
I Hope Miami can get a ultra super tall building like Miapolis some day, Screw the FAA.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

Last edited by QuantumX; August 10th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #408
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
I Hope Miami can get a ultra super tall building like Miapolis some day, Screw the FAA.
Like I keep telling you, there is only one place in Miami where we can build such a building - the delapidated mall at 79th Street and Biscayne.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old August 11th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #409
geloboi0830
IT and Urban Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 974

Today's Banner | New York, what can you say?
geloboi0830 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #410
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by geloboi0830 View Post

3.85/5
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #411
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by geloboi0830 View Post

A bit too dark and missing whole Midtown (only the ESB's silhouette can be clearly ssen). Maybe the next banner should be this one:

image hosted on flickr

Newark Liberty Airport at Sunrise by wesleyrosenblum, on Flickr

Downtown:

image hosted on flickr

Financial District, Manhatten by Chris-Håvard Berge, on Flickr

Midtown:

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan Skyline by linkahwai, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
Shanghai in 2020

Unfortunately there's not much going on supertall-wise in Shanghai except for the Shanghai Tower and White Magnolia Plaza
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #412
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Like I keep telling you, there is only one place in Miami where we can build such a building - the delapidated mall at 79th Street and Biscayne.
But the greedy FAA won't even allow it.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #413
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
But the greedy FAA won't even allow it.
How do you know? We can go taller if we create another business district at 79th and Biscayne away from airport flight paths. The interest just isn't there yet.

My photo threads:

Old August 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #414
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Few people apart from the British in this thread agree that London has a great skyline. The ugly lowrises surrounding the central complex made the skyline appear lackadaisical and lifeless; there is just no balance of height. By 2025 the change might be dramatic because London has very few skyscrapers as of now, but it will still find itself dwarfed in every category by its competitors in 2025 (if you consider skyscraper construction as a competition) - height, quantity, density and architecture (of 200m+ buildings only).

Even certain particular areas of the following cities will have more impressive skyline than London's- Shenzhen's Futian district, Guanzhou's Zhuijiang CBD, Shanghai's Puxi, Tianjin's Binhai CBD, Manila's Makati CBD. All these areas have very few/no ugly residential highrises (as some would like to say) according to their skyline images (not the skyline of the 'whole' city, just those particular areas). The skylines of these areas alone will be much bigger than London's entire skyline by 2025. Thus it's not so hard to perceive that London has a lot of catch up to do, and the pace is inadequate. In 2025, the aforementioned CBDs will have enough good looking structures which will overshadow the fewer ugly ones (if there's any present right now). So the quality crisis will become a null point.

Considering all the facts and information available, and assessing the current situation, it can be affirmed that London's skyline won't be amongst the best in the world (not in top 25, to say the least).
Did your mum write this for you?? It's very well put together in comparison to your other replies.

Skylines are much more about tall blocks. They certainly add to them but you won't find a better mix of architecture then in London that adds definition to it's skyline topography. Mix the classical, gothic architecture, victorian church spires, St Pauls etc with top class highrises ... you've got a much more intriguing and asthetically pleasing skyline then the aforementioned by yourself.

n20, Judgejudy123 liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #415
7rani
BANNED

Please, stop trolling!

London is a lovely city, with a modest skyline. It's no use to force the world to admire it, because, simply, It depends on tasts.

Saying that London's skyscreapers are designed by the famous designer in the world, doesn't mean the are the world class or blabla ...!
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #416
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rani View Post
Please, stop trolling!

London is a lovely city, with a modest skyline. It's no use to force the world to admire it, because, simply, It depends on tasts.

Saying that London's skyscreapers are designed by the famous designer in the world, doesn't mean the are the world class or blabla ...!
With all due respect it's hardly trolling. He's provided a good picture and has given reasons why he likes the skyline.
A forum is for discussion no?

Judgejudy123 liked this post
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #417
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

It's ok. 7rani can say what he wants. You only have to look at his posts around the forum to see he is only contradicting himself by using those sort of words. It really doesn't bother me, especially when what he wrote barely makes sense anyway.

Last edited by Birmingham; August 12th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #418
7rani
BANNED

Don't be arrogant!

It's not this way we will admire London. Yes, it's one of lovely cities in Europe, but you have to learn how to be good ambassadors.

And saying London has a modest skyline doesn't mean I am contradicting myself If you don't like my opinion, which is the opinion of the majority in this forum, I can do nothing for you. But please, stop polluting this section with your posts pro-London.
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #419
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Charming city.. but not skyline..

Avemano liked this post
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #420
Jamsterx
London...that is all

Likes (Received): 66

And this stupidity is why I rarely post in threads that feature London. When someone says that London has a great skyline in their opinion, they almost get abused. But when someone says that Berlin has the best skyline in Europe and insults anyone who disagrees, no one says anything. As much as I love London, I think that Frankfurt has the overall skyline in my honest OPINION.

My point is don't give London a bad name, but don't be hypocrites saying that people who like the skyline are trolls when you swamp the thread with old pictures of other European cities (ahem Berlin). Rant done.

KlausDiggy, Judgejudy123, Birmingham liked this post
Jamsterx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline