daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #421
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Frankfurt is nice.. but irrelevant to the topic as well.. IMO

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #422
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Did your mum write this for you?? It's very well put together in comparison to your other replies.

Skylines are much more about tall blocks. They certainly add to them but you won't find a better mix of architecture then in London that adds definition to it's skyline topography. Mix the classical, gothic architecture, victorian church spires, St Pauls etc with top class highrises ... you've got a much more intriguing and asthetically pleasing skyline then the aforementioned by yourself.

Are you trolling here deliberately? It's solely your personal opinion that a person won't find better architecture outside London. Don't try to impose your ridiculous judgement on others, we've tolerated enough of your London worship on this thread. Apart from a couple of British almost everybody agreed that London skyline is mediocre at best. You may consider ancient Gothic architecture as heavenly, but I don't. And it's perfectly normal if somebody else dislikes it. What's there to praise a skyline about that has no density, height, quantity and some mythological 'quality' architecture of which only a couple of us here agree on? I don't find any quality in London skyline. None whatsoever. And if you disagree, how about I label you as a troll? Fair enough?

Avemano, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #423
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Frankfurt is nice.. but irrelevant to the topic as well.. IMO
I think the only European skyline with a legitimate chance at top 20 is Moscow. It already has a decent amount of quantity, but more than that it has a very tall cluster that only a select few cities can match.
I think cities like London, Frankfurt, Paris, and Istanbul will be competing more in the range of top 30-40.

My sleeper skyline for top 5 by 2025 is Guangzhou. It has such an impressive, centralized cluster and and it's only getting better. Obviously, things are going to be ultra competitive at the top, but I think it has as good a shot as anywhere.

NOTE: Geez, can we stop talking about London already? How come nobody discusses skylines they see as top 5-10 material anymore? It's just pages and pages of either promoting or bashing London. It's time for both sides to stop and get this thread back on track.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #424
Jamsterx
London...that is all

Likes (Received): 70

I'm simply saying when people say that they like London, people like Faisal Shourov act like 6 year olds and bash London entirely. Just grow up, it's that simple.

Moving back on topic, has anyone considered the fact that Mumbai might have some potential?
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #425
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 11215

No western european city has its place here, the brits should stop trolling. Western Europe is just to-ta-lly irrelevant in this thread as the instigator of the thread says " based on current construction of buildings going on + already existing"

By 2025, Moscow maybe, Istanbul why not if they continue to build, but there is no denying that there is no european common thing of what happens now in Asia and especially China
Some others cities have already in big history with their skylines (American cities) but of course, the growth is not comparable to the Asian ones.

My favour goes to Singapore (density, shape, quality, projects).
Plus, I feel that they don't just build skyscrapers to build skyscrapers, I feel that there is a real wish to enlarge the skyline as a whole, whereas in some others cities like some chinese, indian or Istanbul, it is as if there is anarchy or a little n'importe quoi.

Faisal Shourov, 7rani liked this post
Avemano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #426
Judazzz
Derp?

Likes (Received): 2299

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
With all due respect it's hardly trolling. He's provided a good picture and has given reasons why he likes the skyline.
A forum is for discussion no?
It is trolling because I've seen some of the London fan boys accuse others of trolling, while they do exactly the same in regard to other cities (case in point: Manila). The best part however is that it is utterly idiot to do so, because the discussion is about something subjective, something that cannot be measured or quantified.

To illustrate: I find London pretty decent, but (again. imo) it cannot even get close to Frankfurt (neither can any other European city, nor the vast majority of other cities globally), for the very simple reason that there are few skylines that are so well balanced and in proportion. Most will probably disagree, but then again, it's something personal, so that's okay. That's why people should stick to posting your personal preference, and keep it at that (for the simple reason that there is no, nor will there ever be consensus). No need to get all butt hurt, teary-eyed and even vindictive just because someone doesn't like your city...

Eduardo L. Ramirez, KlausDiggy liked this post
Judazzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #427
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsterx View Post
Moving back on topic, has anyone considered the fact that Mumbai might have some potential?
Currently, as far as I can tell, Mumbai doesn't have a single attractive high-rise in the entire city. The potential is there for the quantity, but they cancelled their show-stopper and I don't think there's going to be enough quality to get them into the top 10.

Mumbai also has a long way to go to catch booming Chinese cities such as Chongqing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, etc. (not to mention Hong Kong and Shanghai at the top)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #428
F-22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 317

Construction updates of the Leadenhall Building and 20 Fenchurch Street

Source

Picture credit: Lumberjack

image hosted on flickr

city1 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

n20 liked this post
F-22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #429
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Okay. It is impossible to be right or wrong on this matter as it is entirely subjective.
By all means show how your city may have a good skyline by 2025.
People shouldn't be called trolls because their opinion does not conform to popular opinion.

I myself really like London's mix of new and old and hope that if construction continues then it can take a place in the top 25.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #430
F-22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 317

25 Churchill Place | Canary Wharf

London thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1487252

image hosted on flickr

The O2, Canary Wharf and the City from the Emirates Air-Line Thames cable car by Jeremai Smith, on Flickr

n20 liked this post
F-22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #431
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Did your mum write this for you?? It's very well put together in comparison to your other replies.

Skylines are much more about tall blocks. They certainly add to them but you won't find a better mix of architecture then in London that adds definition to it's skyline topography. Mix the classical, gothic architecture, victorian church spires, St Pauls etc with top class highrises ... you've got a much more intriguing and asthetically pleasing skyline then the aforementioned by yourself.

You know you do not have that much of a skyline when your "skyscrapers" are competing with small church spires that are couple hundred years old.

Thanks for the laughs tho ("you won't find a better mix of architecture then in London").
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #432
wino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avemano View Post
My favour goes to Singapore (density, shape, quality, projects).
Plus, I feel that they don't just build skyscrapers to build skyscrapers, I feel that there is a real wish to enlarge the skyline as a whole, whereas in some others cities like some chinese, indian or Istanbul, it is as if there is anarchy or a little n'importe quoi.
Entire Singapore skyline is not "dense/compact".. except the Marina Bay area, which is very well known of course.
but quality and shape I agree.. it's pretty awesome.

Construction probably will still continue for Singapore. Will be interesting how the shape of Marina Bay will change when it gets bigger.

So I'd still expect Singapore to hold on with its popularity.

Last edited by wino; August 12th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #433
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 925

I think Singapore should finally start building some supertalls!

What do you guys believe? How many of the new London trolls are actually current reincarnations of SO143/ajaaronjoe? I think at least 2
Eduardo L. Ramirez está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #434
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Sometimes I have faith in humanity....and then I stumble across such threads.

Judazzz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #435
wino

you probably get depressed so easily...

don't take things too seriously.
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #436
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

I'm actually pretty positive about myself, others worry me tho
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #437
wino

Oh, but you don't have to worry about others..
some people just love to be miserable. They actually live for that.

just kidding!
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #438
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
I think Singapore should finally start building some supertalls!

What do you guys believe? How many of the new London trolls are actually current reincarnations of SO143/ajaaronjoe? I think at least 2
I think all the London trolls are a single person who is operating all the IDs simultaneously and desperately trying to keep his country's head high

Avemano, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #439
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I think all the London trolls are a single person who is operating all the IDs simultaneously and desperately trying to keep his country's head high
Just stop it, it's pathetic. There's a small group of you who accuse others of trolling yet continue to derail the thread.
I've noticed you all 'like' each others posts regardless of their quality.
You could take a dump on the keyboard and they'd still like your post.
Enough with the petty squabbles, don't reply to them if you do not like what they have to say...
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #440
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Living in Shanghai is like living in the 22nd century, skyscrapers everywhere

image hosted on flickr

Eduardo L. Ramirez, Avemano liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline