daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #441
chennaisky
Da Boss

Likes (Received): 149

The best skylines will one day be in India.
chennaisky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #442
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

-edit-

Last edited by n20; August 14th, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #443
deekshith
DELETED

Likes (Received): 1764

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Currently, as far as I can tell, Mumbai doesn't have a single attractive high-rise in the entire city. The potential is there for the quantity, but they cancelled their show-stopper and I don't think there's going to be enough quality to get them into the top 10.

Mumbai also has a long way to go to catch booming Chinese cities such as Chongqing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, etc. (not to mention Hong Kong and Shanghai at the top)
If you are talking about India tower then NO it is not cancelled.
It will be in on-hold position for next one or two years or may be for even more period because the project is under court case also economic condition is not good in India now.

Regarding boom Mumbai is comparable to any chinese city..... from 4 200m+ buildings in 2007 (U/C + Prep) to 40 odd in 2013 but the main problem is that construction speed is too slow in Mumbai.
By the time Mumbai construct one 200m building chinese would have built 2 supertalls
deekshith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #444
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

I made this collage based on current proposals a little while ago.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It actually needs to be updated due to the increase in size of 107 West 57th St (~1200ft) and 45 E 60th Street (~780ft). And who knows what the Midtown East rezoning has in store for the skyline, however I imagine its true impact will be decades out in the future.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #445
808 state
--=AiNoKeA=--

Likes (Received): 773

MANILA

ILOCOS NORTE - THE FIRST FULLY ISO-CERTIFIED PHILIPPINE PROVINCE

SSC Ilocos Norte

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
808 state no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #446
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

My top 10 by 2025 in no particular order -

Shanghai, New York, Shenzhen, Toronto, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Dubai, Chicago, Singapore

10-20 again in no particular order -

Manila, Moscow, Mumbai, Wuhan, Nanjing, Kuala lumpur, Bangkok, Tianjin, Sydney, Tokyo

Chinese cities will undoubtedly dominate the list. My bet for the BEST skyline by 2025 is either Shenzhen or Guangzhou.

Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #447
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It actually needs to be updated due to the increase in size of 107 West 57th St (~1200ft) and 45 E 60th Street (~780ft). And who knows what the Midtown East rezoning has in store for the skyline, however I imagine its true impact will be decades out in the future.

Excellent work!
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #448
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

I love how some people are so contradicting. You dismiss London on page 1. Effectively insulting the person who mentioned the city. Then you go about insulting those who defend the original quote with reasons as to why they believe it's a contender and call them trolls for having a difference of opinion to yourself. It is subjective so who the **** are you to say you are categorically correct in dismissing the potential it has? And yes London does have the most amazing mix of architecture. If you visited or knew anything about the architectural types of construction within the city that is over 2000 years old and invites modern construction types more than most historical cities you would come to understand this. The posts denying and laughing at this suggestion just stink of ignorance and generally come from those who have no idea about construction either from today or from the past. If you think 125m tall cathedral which is one of the most recognisable religious places of worship anywhere in the world is "crap" and makes no impression on a skyline then you are clearly speaking from a view which is nothing but biased and un-educated. Ridiculous.

Union Man liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #449
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3986

Quote:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It's never going to shift being number 1. It's not just the skyline but the topography of it. It's just gorgeous whatever angle you look at it from.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #450
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

Paris La Defense

TowerVerre:), 7rani, Galik, Avemano liked this post
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #451
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

Future Shanghai
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #452
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoMini View Post
Future Shanghai
Dude i posted the same image in the last page ?
Btw this pix looks unreal, except for ST and a few 200m skyscrapers no new proposals there.

Old August 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #453
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Quote:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8...9f0dfccd_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8329/8...3b9848a6_b.jpg

Gorgeous! Great job
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #454
chennaisky
Da Boss

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
Given the huge population of India ( 1.2 billion+ ), vertical growth is very much on the cards in the future.
A few cities in India may get supertalls by 2025.

Last edited by chennaisky; August 13th, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
chennaisky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #455
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekshith View Post
If you are talking about India tower then NO it is not cancelled.
It will be in on-hold position for next one or two years or may be for even more period because the project is under court case also economic condition is not good in India now.
When this tower gets built it will put Mumbai in the conversation. Until then, 90% of what I see being built there are among the ugliest designs (or lowest quality materials) I have seen in my life.

Am I the only person who thinks World One is going to be the worst looking 400m+ tower on the entire planet? (well, aside from that Mecca clock tower, but at least let's go with blandest?)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...150639&page=31

Mumbai will have the quantity but nowhere near the quality. London will have the quality but nowhere near the quantity. The top future skylines will be NYC, Chinese cities, specific middle eastern cities, KL, Tokyo, Chicago, and Toronto.

Design matters. Materials matter. If they didn't there wouldn't be a debate and we could judge every skyline off an algorithm. Of course, height/quantity/density/layout also matter, and it's difficult to quantify many of these categories (how do you mathematically judge the most pleasing layout?)

It's good that there's a debate, although I think we focus too much time on "iffy" cities and not enough time on the ones that should clearly be in the top 10-12 by 2025.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #456
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
I think Singapore should finally start building some supertalls!

What do you guys believe? How many of the new London trolls are actually current reincarnations of SO143/ajaaronjoe? I think at least 2
Wow! I can't even stay away a day without this thread becoming completely out of hand.

First of all, I repeat as many others have: "Best" is subjective! "Best" is just about anything anybody wants it to be depending on their individual and personal tastes, so there really is no sense in getting this worked up about all this. That's why in subjective sports such as gymnastics, diving, and figure skating, there is more than one judge. I can't even begin to tell you how messed up competitive bodybuilding is with some of the judging there.

The fact of the matter is that we don't know what any of these skylines is going to look like in 2025. We can only go by what's on the drawing board, the momentum a city has based on what the market is doing there at the time and what we think the market will bear based on what we think the continued interest will be.

Then, there are people like me who will always prefer New York's architecture over Shanghai's and Chicago's over Dubai.

I don't necessarily see any of the London people as trolls. Anybody can tout their skyline as much as they want. You don't have to respond if you don't want to. I've been accused of spamming in the past for posting so many photos of Miami when I didn't think that is what I was doing, so let's refrain from the name-calling. If anybody wants me to cross-reference users names, I can will do that, but please let's tone it down a bit on a subject that is so subjective anyway.

With reference of Singapore, their height limit is 919 feet. That is why the three tallest buildings in Singapore are 919 feet and they don't have a supertall. Whether they are planning to develop another section of the city outside of airport flight paths, I don't know.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #457
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Chongqing Jiefangbei skyline

image hosted on flickr
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #458
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Am I the only person who thinks World One is going to be the worst looking 400m+ tower on the entire planet? (well, aside from that Mecca clock tower, but at least let's go with blandest?)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...150639&page=31
First we had english trolls in this thread now we have an American troll here.

Last edited by Pals_RGB; August 13th, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #459
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

There are few buildings over 400m. Added to the fact that it does not seem very innovative and seems out of proportion, it is not an unreasonable thing to say that it might be the worst >400m tower in the world.
I certainly wouldn't mind it in London though.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #460
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

It doesn't really work for me either. Each third looks fine on its own, but not together. It will likely have a nice silhouette from 10 km away though.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline