daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #461
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I love how some people are so contradicting. You dismiss London on page 1. Effectively insulting the person who mentioned the city. Then you go about insulting those who defend the original quote with reasons as to why they believe it's a contender and call them trolls for having a difference of opinion to yourself. It is subjective so who the **** are you to say you are categorically correct in dismissing the potential it has? And yes London does have the most amazing mix of architecture. If you visited or knew anything about the architectural types of construction within the city that is over 2000 years old and invites modern construction types more than most historical cities you would come to understand this. The posts denying and laughing at this suggestion just stink of ignorance and generally come from those who have no idea about construction either from today or from the past. If you think 125m tall cathedral which is one of the most recognisable religious places of worship anywhere in the world is "crap" and makes no impression on a skyline then you are clearly speaking from a view which is nothing but biased and un-educated. Ridiculous.
To whom are you speaking here?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #462
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It doesn't really work for me either. Each third looks fine on its own, but not together. It will likely have a nice silhouette from 10 km away though.
For me it is one of the best supertall dasigns in Mumbai. Especially the whole complex with its 3 towers fits together just perfect. The problem is that Oasis will be not far away to it and this towers really aren't fitting together. Oasis is fat and this is thin, Oasis is white World One is grey....
Future Mumbai:
Edit: deleted photo

Last edited by TowerVerre:); August 13th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #463
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

I really don't know where are Mods?! such an insulting post have to be penalized!!

Avemano liked this post
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #464
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rani View Post
I really don't know where are Mods?! such an insulting post have to be penalized!!
What post are you referring to?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #465
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Brimingham's one!

Avemano liked this post
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #466
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

I have to agree with you there. Swearing, calling people ignorant, and uneducated because they don't agree with him. That shouldn't be tolerated on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
For me it is one of the best supertall dasigns in Mumbai. Especially the whole complex with its 3 towers fits together just perfect. The problem is that Oasis will be not far away to it and this towers really aren't fitting together. Oasis is fat and this is thin, Oasis is white World One is grey....
My favourite super tall is actually Tour Verre.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #467
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1818

Mine too But if I look at Ping An or Shanghai tower I get insecure about that sometimes
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #468
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

They're both very good designs. It's a close call, but Tour Verre wins it for me due to its interiors and unique architecture. There's nothing like it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #469
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rani View Post
Brimingham's one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I have to agree with you there. Swearing, calling people ignorant, and uneducated because they don't agree with him. That shouldn't be tolerated on here.
He is definitely going to have to tone it down if he wants to continue participating on SSC!

My photo threads:

Old August 13th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #470
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
Mine too But if I look at Ping An or Shanghai tower I get insecure about that sometimes
Don't be. Height isn't everything. Once Verre starts rising the skyscraper world will bow down in awe.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #471
managua72

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
I love how some people are so contradicting. You dismiss London on page 1. Effectively insulting the person who mentioned the city. Then you go about insulting those who defend the original quote with reasons as to why they believe it's a contender and call them trolls for having a difference of opinion to yourself. It is subjective so who the **** are you to say you are categorically correct in dismissing the potential it has? And yes London does have the most amazing mix of architecture. If you visited or knew anything about the architectural types of construction within the city that is over 2000 years old and invites modern construction types more than most historical cities you would come to understand this. The posts denying and laughing at this suggestion just stink of ignorance and generally come from those who have no idea about construction either from today or from the past. If you think 125m tall cathedral which is one of the most recognisable religious places of worship anywhere in the world is "crap" and makes no impression on a skyline then you are clearly speaking from a view which is nothing but biased and un-educated. Ridiculous.
Open your mind and your eyes! London has a mix of architecture as Barcelona, Milano, Moscow, Paris, Berlin has in Europe. Beijing or Tokyo are also old cities mixing tradition and modernity. By far London is overrated on that forum. Quaility of new tall buildings is much more better in Asia. Just compare Shanghai Tower and this poor glassy shard which is not innovative. For any asian cities, canarywharf buildings would be none-events. And gherkin is as exciting as the cocoon in tokyo or agbar in barcelona...

Avemano, FNNG liked this post
managua72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #472
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Now now ladies.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #473
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 913

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Wow! I can't even stay away a day without this thread becoming completely out of hand.

First of all, I repeat as many others have: "Best" is subjective! "Best" is just about anything anybody wants it to be depending on their individual and personal tastes, so there really is no sense in getting this worked up about all this. That's why in subjective sports such as gymnastics, diving, and figure skating, there is more than one judge. I can't even begin to tell you how messed up competitive bodybuilding is with some of the judging there.

The fact of the matter is that we don't know what any of these skylines is going to look like in 2025. We can only go by what's on the drawing board, the momentum a city has based on what the market is doing there at the time and what we think the market will bear based on what we think the continued interest will be.

Then, there are people like me who will always prefer New York's architecture over Shanghai's and Chicago's over Dubai.

I don't necessarily see any of the London people as trolls. Anybody can tout their skyline as much as they want. You don't have to respond if you don't want to. I've been accused of spamming in the past for posting so many photos of Miami when I didn't think that is what I was doing, so let's refrain from the name-calling. If anybody wants me to cross-reference users names, I can will do that, but please let's tone it down a bit on a subject that is so subjective anyway.

With reference of Singapore, their height limit is 919 feet. That is why the three tallest buildings in Singapore are 919 feet and they don't have a supertall. Whether they are planning to develop another section of the city outside of airport flight paths, I don't know.
Whoa, Quantum.
You're definitely adressing the wrong guy here.
If there's anyone who always and exclusively talks about his opinion and doesn't try to impose his views on others, then.. guess who it is. Actually I love London and its skyline, in fact I believe it's the very best of Europe currently and I've stated that several times! But when half of this thread is filled with London spam (which is indeed quite suspicious regarding its source.. many of those posts are written in a way that doesn't allow a different opinion and are aggressively repeated if someone disagrees ) I think it should be ok to name it. Reading your post makes me suggest you've been absent for way more than just a day....
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #474
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Regarding Singapore: I know about their height limit, but I really hope it doesn't last forever
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #475
Eduardo L. Ramirez

My Top 30 for Single clusters by 2025 could maybe look like this:

1. Midtown, New York
2. Pudong, Shanghai
3. CBD, Shenzhen
4. Sheikh Zayed Skyline, Dubai
5. CBD, Guangzhou
6. CBD, Chongqing
7. Central, Hong Kong
8. Loop & Near North, Chicago
9. Lower Manhattan, New York
10. Marina, Dubai
11. Haeundae Beach, Busan
12. Shinjuku, Tokyo
13. CBD, Toronto
14. Moscow City, Moscow
15. CBD, Tianjin
16. CBD, Singapore
17. Kowloon, Hong Kong
18. Makati, Manila
19. CBD, Kuala Lumpur
20. CBD, Nanjing
21. CBD, Melbourne
22. CBD, Mumbai
23. Lotte Complex, Seoul
24. Puxi, Shanghai
25. CBD, Changsha
26. CBD, Riyadh
27. CBD, Los Angeles
28. Levent-Maslak, Istanbul
29. CBD, Gold Coast
30. Corniche, Abu Dhabi

Erhan, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Eduardo L. Ramirez; August 14th, 2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #476
F-22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 317

Current London Skyline

RockAss, VitMos liked this post
F-22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #477
treetopbisho
BM-Voice

Likes (Received): 1025

what a stunning "skyline".

treetopbisho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #478
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
Whoa, Quantum.
You're definitely adressing the wrong guy here.
If there's anyone who always and exclusively talks about his opinion and doesn't try to impose his views on others, then.. guess who it is. Actually I love London and its skyline, in fact I believe it's the very best of Europe currently and I've stated that several times! But when half of this thread is filled with London spam (which is indeed quite suspicious regarding its source.. many of those posts are written in a way that doesn't allow a different opinion and are aggressively repeated if someone disagrees ) I think it should be ok to name it.
Sorry, but with most of that post I was addressing the forum in general and not specifically you. Only the part about Singapore was for you in particular. I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear by breaking up my response.

Quote:
Reading your post makes me suggest you've been absent for way more than just a day....
No, I was going by the last time I posted here.

My photo threads:

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #479
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Regarding Singapore: I know about their height limit, but I really hope it doesn't last forever
I don't know what else they could do other than move the airport. Maybe that could have the height limit raised if the airport updated its tracking system. I think that is how we were able to do it here in Miami. The height restrictions were old and 20th century height restrictions weren't warranted with 21st century technology.

My photo threads:

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #480
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I don't know who you're talking to here. I guess you're addressnig the forum in general, so here goes.

Quote:
I love how some people are so contradicting. You dismiss London on page 1. Effectively insulting the person who mentioned the city. Then you go about insulting those who defend the original quote with reasons as to why they believe it's a contender and call them trolls for having a difference of opinion to yourself.
I think the problem here though is people don't like being hit over the head with London.

Quote:
It is subjective so who the **** are you to say you are categorically correct in dismissing the potential it has?
Please don't address people in the forum this way. If they don't like the London skyline, then they don't like the London skyline. If they don't think it can change radically enough in 12 years to have one of the best skylines in the world, they are entitled to this opinion.

Quote:
And yes London does have the most amazing mix of architecture. If you visited or knew anything about the architectural types of construction within the city that is over 2000 years old and invites modern construction types more than most historical cities you would come to understand this.
I really don't think anybody has an argument with this, but the skyscraper is a late 19th century invention. If members of the forum only want to count buildings from this era (the era of the skyscraper) as part of what is a great skyline to them, then they are entitled too.

Quote:
The posts denying and laughing at this suggestion just stink of ignorance and generally come from those who have no idea about construction either from today or from the past. If you think 125m tall cathedral which is one of the most recognisable religious places of worship anywhere in the world is "crap" and makes no impression on a skyline then you are clearly speaking from a view which is nothing but biased and un-educated. Ridiculous.
No, a 125 m tall cathedral which is one of the most recognizable religious places of worship anywhere in the world is not "crap," but again, we don't have to count all of this as part of a great skyline if we don't want to. How many times do I have to say it. If someone only wants to consider modern skyscrapers as part of a great skyline, then they are entitled to this.

My photo threads:

Avemano, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
skyline