daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #521
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Miami has more buildings than Panama... Panama has taller buildings than Miami... big difference. Miami is a developed city while Panama city is a developing city...
I stand corrected.
What I really meant by bigger is "Taller".

Although, you don't have to bring up the "developed/developing" card there..

-Corey- liked this post
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #522
wino

How about Australian skylines??

Any bets for 2025?
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #523
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
How about Australian skylines??

Any bets for 2025?
Melbourne's the only one with a shot, but it even that one will likely be dwarfed by those in the top 10. A top 20 is possible.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #524
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I respond more to dynamic/moving views, where you can see a skyline's depth as you change angles and the previously hidden buildings make their appearances. For instance, a few years ago my dad would always watch NCIS and the Miami skyline at the beginning of the show always impressed me. I like this video because it makes the city feel alive and like you are part of it. It also helps me better understand the scale of the buildings there.
Well, I find this video I posted way back on page 7 to be a lot better and more informative about what's planned by 2020, and this isn't everything either. People just ignored it like there's not a damn happening here or ever will.

Quote:
I have seen a million pics of Miami and they really don't do anything for me.
Well, I do the best I can to do this city justice.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #525
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

You have to keep in mind that if people don't post a comment that doesn't mean they ignored what you posted. I imagine people only post a reply to about 1 in 20 things they read or look at.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

miami305 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #526
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Someone said that Singapore needs supertalls. I completely disagree. I think their current height restriction is fine. Their skyline looks extremely dense and well differentiated enough to stand out on a global scale. It is a nice balance, in my opinion. I think Toronto needs supertalls in order to balance out the skyline relative to the CN Tower but Singapore's skyline is fine IMO.
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #527
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Well, I find this video I posted way back on page 7 to be a lot better and more informative about what's planned by 2020, and this isn't everything either. People just ignored it like there's not a damn happening here or ever will.
The other video was HD. Aside from a few early glitches on it, the quality was significantly better and I stand by what I said. It's the video that made a difference for me. If that video was the anomaly then I will be happy to go back to my original stance and continue to be unimpressed with your city

Speaking of aerial videos, here's a good one showing off Boston. It's a bit old (probably 4 years or so) but some of the shots really show the amazing density and variety the city has. There is a lot planned for it and by 2025 I think it will be back in the top 7-8 US skylines, although on a world scale obviously it's nowhere close and will continue to fade, along with most skylines in my country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MarOH0_HW-U
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #528
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55291

Cities don't need super tall to have good skylines. In the case of Singapore, instead of having all those tallest towers at the same height, they should have built them at varied height to create a more interesting looking skyline.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #529
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You have to keep in mind that if people don't post a comment that doesn't mean they ignored what you posted. I imagine people only post a reply to about 1 in 20 things they read or look at.
Yes, it's a lot of work responding to every post.

Quote:
The other video was HD. Aside from a few early glitches on it, the quality was significantly better and I stand by what I said. It's the video that made a difference for me.
Well, if the video made a difference to you, I'm glad. There are just others that I've like better. We have others in the Miami forum that are in HD, but I'd have to dig them up.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #530
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

I think that the top 10 of the best Skylines by 2025 will:
1. Dubai, United Arab Emirates (with 6 under construction supertalls)

2. Seoul, South Korea (with 2 under construction supertalls and an infinity of projects)

3. Shanghai, China (with the Shanghai Tower)

4. New York, USA

5. Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (with the Kingdom Tower, 1007 mt.)
image hosted on flickr

Sorry no image!

6. Shenzhen, China

7. Moscow, Russia

8. Mumbai, India

9. Incheon, South Korea (for many projects over 400 mt. In Songdo district)

10. Panama City, Panama

Last edited by Seoul_Korea; August 21st, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #531
wino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Cities don't need super tall to have good skylines. In the case of Singapore, instead of having all those tallest towers at the same height, they should have built them at varied height to create a more interesting looking skyline.
Yeah I agree..

Singapore (Marina Bay) is starting to look flat already with the new towers built..
add any more of those "uni-height towers" -- and it's shape (which makes it popular) is going to be "Flatter"...

I'm still self-debating if I prefer the smaller version of it years ago.. The time when the skyline still has a "Focal" point - sharp looking.
It just disappeared after those new towers got built.

Anyways, this "semi-flatness" disappears when seen at different angles. So Marina bay is still good.

I guess they skyline had to sacrifice shape over density.

IMO - It also helps that the residential skyline behind Marina bay (Picture above) is hidden most of the time.. Coz they're just to plain.. it doesn't help at all. But it adds "Height points" in Emporis' scoring.

Last edited by wino; August 16th, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #532
wino

another one from Singapore's Marina Bay Skyline.

The skyline has doubled in size in the last few years.. wonder how it would look like in 2025.

scroll a bit to the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

picture credits to www.Worldpropertychannel.com

Eduardo L. Ramirez liked this post
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #533
F-22
BANNED

Likes (Received): 317

New York City | United States of America

image hosted on flickr

n20, mariusCT liked this post
F-22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #534
pussyqueen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

I don't like asian skylines. Just beacause a city has a lot of tall buildings doesn't mean it has the best skyline. Quality over quantity for me, european skylines have such class and beauty and NY is basically unbeatable. I actually believe that south america will have some great skylines in the near future.

1Filipe1, KlausDiggy, -Corey-, Greg95100 liked this post
pussyqueen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #535
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Someone said that Singapore needs supertalls. I completely disagree. I think their current height restriction is fine. Their skyline looks extremely dense and well differentiated enough to stand out on a global scale. It is a nice balance, in my opinion. I think Toronto needs supertalls in order to balance out the skyline relative to the CN Tower but Singapore's skyline is fine IMO.
I agree, Singapore looks fine as it is. But only because it is well-balanced today for me doesn't mean it can't be well balanced tomorrow, but at a new level of height
Never stand still
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #536
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pussyqueen View Post
I don't like asian skylines. Just beacause a city has a lot of tall buildings doesn't mean it has the best skyline. Quality over quantity for me, european skylines have such class and beauty and NY is basically unbeatable. I actually believe that south america will have some great skylines in the near future.
Whether you like them or not, Asian skylines will continue to dominate the world charts. And the definition of 'quality' varies from person to person, what you perceive as beautiful might seem horrible to others. I hope you don't stir up this topic again and refrain from activities which might be regarded as trolling.

null, chuangchuang liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #537
Judgejudy123
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 185

I know London's skyline won't in the top 10 but here are a couple of pics:

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
Pipers' City of London Model at The City Marketing Suite by -IanVisits-[/IMG]

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
Future London skyline by -Matt From London-[/IMG]

LONDON

gehenaus liked this post

Last edited by Judgejudy123; August 16th, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Judgejudy123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #538
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8764

Then I'd rather the post here, where all the towers of the City of London are there.

posted by tuten

-Corey-, n20, aiman! liked this post
KlausDiggy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #539
wino

It would have made a bigger impact if the Shard have been included in that cluster... IMO

KlausDiggy liked this post
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #540
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2533

Beautiful renders.

KlausDiggy liked this post
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline