daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #601
pissybits

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Chongqing has one of the best skyline in the world, but I find the river bank (not the river itself) incredibly dirty and filthy. I'm not bothered by the architecture of buildings, but there are some things that should be routinely monitored. Chongqing is constructing lots of fancy skyscrapers but they don't realize without a clean bank their city would never look appealing

Great photos of the skyline, by the way
there's something special about chongqing definitely. it's got this cramped and claustrophobic feeling that some people might not like but i find totally unique. it just looks so unreal sometimes, with its towers seemingly built right on top of towers in the mountainous landscape. i'm biased for sure, but towers that look plain/run down/downright ugly in other cities have an extraordinary look to them in chongqing. unlike so many chinese cities that have to try so hard to distinguish themselves, chongqing is unapologetically itself, with a character and atmosphere all its own. an acquired taste i'd say haha.

lol maybe i watched the movie chungking express one too many times (even though it's set in hong kong) but it's got me hooked on chongqing!
pissybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #602
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Edit

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 20th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #603
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6458

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissybits View Post
there's something special about chongqing definitely. it's got this cramped and claustrophobic feeling that some people might not like but i find totally unique. it just looks so unreal sometimes, with its towers seemingly built right on top of towers in the mountainous landscape. i'm biased for sure, but towers that look plain/run down/downright ugly in other cities have an extraordinary look to them in chongqing. unlike so many chinese cities that have to try so hard to distinguish themselves, chongqing is unapologetically itself, with a character and atmosphere all its own. an acquired taste i'd say haha.

lol maybe i watched the movie chungking express one too many times (even though it's set in hong kong) but it's got me hooked on chongqing!
I agree. I quite like the dirty/gritty look of the city. Looks like a real working class Chinese city.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #604
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilze View Post
Nice pictures of future Paris above, I really love the glass finishings of their high-rises. French architects know what the definition of aesthetics mean. Even though the shape of their towers are not so unique but, they made sure the overall glass coverings of their skyscrapers look gorgeous and superior which gave the skyline a dark, superior and quality look.
That's what Chinese cities lack. Hats off for Paris.
It's not a futur Paris, it's the skyline it already has now
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #605
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I agree. I quite like the dirty/gritty look of the city. Looks like a real working class Chinese city.

I quite dislike the cookie-cutter skylines from Queensland...and its suburbs full of bogans and snobs.

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #606
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6458

Okay that's good.

Do you think I was trying to insult Chongqing or something? That was the best you could come up with? Poor thing, you.

Eduardo L. Ramirez liked this post
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #607
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

That river may be naturally brown but I have no doubt it is heavily polluted.
It is likely 2 different worlds, once you descend from the steel and glass skyscrapers you reach the underlevel...
Seems very dystopian.
They really need to sort that river bank out. What's with the big holes in the wall?

miami305 liked this post
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #608
Yuree

Likes (Received): 142

Chongqing and Manila night shots

Giants
Japan~China

Asian Tigers

Singapore~South Korea~Taiwan~Hong Kong

Tiger Cub Economies

Malaysia~Philippines~Indonesia~Thailand

CarltonHill liked this post
Yuree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #609
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8903

Here is a complete list of skyscrapers in Europe (under construction, topped out, completely).

Link--->All skyscrapers in Europe

After the photo galerie is the list.
If you desire it, you can look in.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #610
pissybits

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
That river may be naturally brown but I have no doubt it is heavily polluted.
It is likely 2 different worlds, once you descend from the steel and glass skyscrapers you reach the underlevel...
Seems very dystopian.
They really need to sort that river bank out. What's with the big holes in the wall?
chongqing's hallmarks are not its glass and steel skyscrapers. chongqing's hallmarks are the old and rundown towers that pile on top of one another in the haze...and the cable car.

besides, the "underlevel" of every major city is gritty. if anything i noticed a much starker contrast in miami, where bums and crackheads line the street while gleaming luxury condos rise up behind them.

i agree chongqing has a dystopian look, that's what makes it look so awesome imo. it doesn't try to be what it's not, and sichuan is still quite a poor province.

but so what? this is a thread about aesthetics, not a social criticism.
pissybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #611
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Manila has many Central Business Districts.

Fort Bonifacio CBD is the latest built. With still many ongoing constructions and proposals.
Taller buildings are on their way.
Hopefully a super tall gets built..

Quote:

aerial pic of the CBD 2011.
Eventually, all empty lots will be built with more buildings.

April 2013 Aerial (Still booming! many U/C - taller ones)
[IMG]http://oi43.************/9ixy02.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by wino; August 20th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #612
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

impressive
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #613
wino

Thank you.

The Manila Skyline "dream" is to "CONNECT" all 3 biggest Manila CBDs into one SUPER CBD.
Makati, Fort Bonifacio and Ortigas. Hopefully it happens in the future.

ONLY If it happens, then I'd be personally confident that Manila will be a contender in the world's top 10.

Highcliff, CarltonHill, Bannor liked this post

Last edited by wino; August 21st, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:23 AM   #614
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

I just read that apparently Manila is underwater right now? I can't see Manila being a top skyline by 2025 if they don't improve the heck out of their infrastructure.

Another thing that concerns me is pollution, particularly in the Chinese cities. I have noticed some of the cities have hit air pollution levels that are way above the threshold for being unsafe. How can these cities continue to thrive in the future if it isn't even safe to be outside?
http://www.natureworldnews.com/artic...late-level.htm

I realize much of this is paranoia, but I think global issues such as pollution and climate change pose serious risks and may have more of an effect on this thread than most of us would like to admit.
http://www.natureworldnews.com/artic...ping-began.htm

Also, I'm not trying to single out Asia here. The US has been experiencing increasingly severe weather, with records not just related to heat, but also crazy things like "most tornadoes in a day or year". Scary stuff. Heck, NYC was pretty much shut down after Hurricane Sandy, and the crane at One57 was destroyed causing major delays.

Ultimately, I hope luck is on our side and cities continue to build, build, build!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:39 AM   #615
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

wino....I think manila really deserves more supertalls, isn't it?....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:39 AM   #616
wino

I do. It would be like putting icing on a cake.
we are crossing our fingers..

@ DZH22
You should open up a new thread regarding this how these "challenges" will shape up future cities.
Or how weather/geography is shaping up skylines?
Would be an interesting topic.

In the case of the PH, it has the most "challenge" when it comes to storms. It's the most typhoon battered country in Asia if not in the world.
So yea, Philippine infrastructure should be double than any country in the world. And it really needs to improve BIG TIME.

Last edited by wino; August 21st, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:54 AM   #617
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

How far apart are the skylines of Makati, Fort Bonifacio, and Ortigas today?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:59 AM   #618
wino

Makati and Fort Bonifacio is divided by a residential area.

Makati is the CBD on top
Fort Bonifacio below

while Ortigas is on the right side of the two (not shown in picture) separated by the river a bit farther than the other 2.

Here you can see the 3 CBD clusters.. with the possibility of meeting in the middle like a pinwheel.
centerpoint will be the river.

by measure Makati and Fort Bonifacio distance is 2Km while Ortigas is about 3.5Km
(Just an estimate using google maps.)

Erhan liked this post

Last edited by wino; August 21st, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:04 AM   #619
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
It doesn't matter whether it was American idea of building skyscrapers, the Chinese also invented paper :P Coming back to the point, you forgot that us Asians have just begun constructing skyscrapers, and all these buildings were non-existent 15 years ago! European cities dominated 19th century skylines, American cities dominated 20th century skylines. Now in the 21st century, Asian skylines will dominate the globe. Just wait for 10 more years only, you will be surprised beyond imagination
Agreed 100% - but stop copying NYC building designs....I see so many cheap replicas of NYC buildings- in Asian cities....

Last edited by miami305; August 21st, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:10 AM   #620
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissybits View Post
chongqing's hallmarks are not its glass and steel skyscrapers. chongqing's hallmarks are the old and rundown towers that pile on top of one another in the haze...and the cable car.

besides, the "underlevel" of every major city is gritty. if anything i noticed a much starker contrast in miami, where bums and crackheads line the street while gleaming luxury condos rise up behind them.

i agree chongqing has a dystopian look, that's what makes it look so awesome imo. it doesn't try to be what it's not, and sichuan is still quite a poor province.

but so what? this is a thread about aesthetics, not a social criticism.
Really....where in Miami,...lol

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline