daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:06 AM   #661
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

I completely agree. I've been to alot of the major cities in this world (NYC, Chicago, London, Singapore, KL, Manila, BKK, HK, SHenzhen, Guangzhou) and nothing comes close to New York's Manhatten so far. Sure Hong Kong has more skyscrapers, but Hong Kong is too spread out. The Victoria Harbor sure looks great from the Kowloon side, but it is just 3 blocks in a row along the sea, and with the mountains behind it, it doesn't feel as immense.

All the other cities feel like villages in comparison to Hong Kong and New York. That is a fact I don't think anyone can diffuse, and it will be for quite a few years. SUre some cities are building more than others, but TIanjin is building just a new CBD far from the current city. Shenzhen's new Qinghai is also far from Luohu or Futian and feels like a different city. Singapore is too small and has restrictions in height and area. KL is way too small. Chicago is also way too small, and 1km away from the center you have 1 story buildings, so that ruins all there ever was of a big city feeling outside those 2-3 square kilometers downtown. Which is really small in a global sense. Bangkok and Manila seems to be growing healthily, but I have a feeling Thailand and Philippines will see a financial crisis soon, and become the new Dubai's for a decade or so. Jakarta is already there and construction will probably stop this year. Some buildings under construction will also be razed I fear.

The latin american cities have issues with earthquakes (Chile and Mexico), or have heights in average of just 80-100 meters, which is not more than the average 300 largest chinese cities with commie blocks.

Tokyo and Seoul surely has a potential, but it depends on how they adjust their economies. Japan has been too expensive for awhile, and they depend on a major currency setback compared to the dollar the next 10 years if they should start growing fast again. Seoul does have potential though, and I believe in the koreans, but I don't know if it will reach the immensity of Manhatten anytime soon.

USA, New York and Manhatten will also be fuelled by the shale gas and shale oil boom now, so the economy will pick up, and centralization towards New York will pick up in pace.

In other words I think Manhatten will be #1 in looks/skyline both 2025 and 2050. Hong Kong or New York or Shanghai or Shenzhen will be #1 total amount of skyscrapers in 2025. In 2050 Mumbai will be the only dark horse able to compete with the other 4 mentionned above.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:27 AM   #662
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

New York will soon replace Hong Kong as the no.1 skyline, because Hong Kong being left behind in construction. New York is building 10 new supertalls in addition to the existing ones, whereas Hong Kong built its last supertall 3 years ago. Shanghai's Lujiazui skyline is very small compared to Midtown Manhattan or Hong Kong Island, and outside Lujiazui there are very few tall skyscrapers (only 1 supertall under construction, to be precise). Which leaves Shenzhen as the only true contender of New York. But Shenzhen is still in a tender age and the skyline is too sparse and spread out.

So in 2025, New York will have the best skyline in the world. If Shenzhen speeds up its pace of construction then it may take the second spot, because all of its separate skylines will be merged by then. Unlike most megacities, Shenzhen has no heritage and it doesn't hesitate to demolish older buildings to replace with newer ones. So its skyline is always transforming and expanding. But I don't believe it can catch up with New York by 2025. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2047, because Hong Kong is supposed to merge with Shenzhen in that year. If that happens, the new city will leave others to dust.

KlausDiggy, Puppetgeneral, Highcliff liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #663
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

I'm curious what your feelings are on Dhaka. I know Mumbai seems to be coming on like gangbusters lately and looks destined to become a big skyline city. That begs the question, surely other big cities on the Indian sub-continent couldn't be that far behind. Dhaka? Karachi? Islamabad? Delhi? They're all massive cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
In other words I think Manhatten will be #1 in looks/skyline both 2025 and 2050.
Sorry for nitpicking, but this one of my pet peeves: there is no 'e' in Manhattan.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

n20 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:48 AM   #664
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Sorry for nitpicking, but this one of my pet peeves: there is no 'e' in Manhattan.
Think of a man with a hat that is colored tan.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:08 AM   #665
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Del

Last edited by Joseph Gomes; August 23rd, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #666
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post

Kawran Bazar area

Banani area

Motijheel Area
[IMG]http://i42.************/n365he.jpg[/IMG]
A few photos of Dhaka skyline shared by Faisal Shourov
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:25 AM   #667
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
I'm curious what your feelings are on Dhaka. I know Mumbai seems to be coming on like gangbusters lately and looks destined to become a big skyline city. That begs the question, surely other big cities on the Indian sub-continent couldn't be that far behind. Dhaka? Karachi? Islamabad? Delhi? They're all massive cities.

Dhaka won't have a very good skyline in 2025 because of these reasons:

1. Innovative and lightweight construction techniques for supertalls such as welded or bolted steel frames instead of RCC are still uncommon in Bangladesh (in fact most of South Asia). This drives up construction cost and is seen as not preferable.

2. Base rock in Dhaka -- and also most of Bangladesh is too deep at 60~80 meters below the surface (which is at sea level). Above base rock it is mostly micro-fine clay (recent alluvial soil) deposited in abandoned water channels which is subject to liquefaction and subsidence.

Essentially The light clay has little sideways lateral-torque strength compared to much older (and denser) clay substrates in older non-delta Indian regions like Mumbai or even Kolkata. This cannot practically support highrises much less supertalls. If you still wanted highrises above 30 stories then piling will need to be all the way down to bedrock at 60 meters plus which will become very expensive and unprofitable. Thus most of the highrise buidlings in Dhaka are 15-30 storied tall. Also there's a stupid height restriction which doesn't allow any building to rise above 150 meters as of now (airport issues)

If you want to know about Dhaka's skyline and cityscape, please check this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...407912&page=49

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; August 23rd, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:56 AM   #668
chennaisky
Da Boss

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:

Delhi NCR isn't that far behind. The only other indian cities that may have a good skyline are Bangalore and Hyderabad. I don't expect these cities to be on this list but they could have a decent skyline. A few Supertalls and skyscrapers are Proposed in Bangalore. We don't know if they'll be built yet. Hyderabad has a lot of u/c highrises. There are two proposed supertalls in Hyderabad but like Bangalore we don't know if they'll be built.

Pals_RGB, n20, Highcliff liked this post
chennaisky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #669
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Faisal Shourov: Thanks very much. Most of Bangladesh is on a flood plain, correct?

Chennaisky: What about Kolkata?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM   #670
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennaisky View Post
Delhi NCR isn't that far behind. The only other indian cities that may have a good skyline are Bangalore and Hyderabad. I don't expect these cities to be on this list but they could have a decent skyline. A few Supertalls and skyscrapers are Proposed in Bangalore. We don't know if they'll be built yet. Hyderabad has a lot of u/c highrises. There are two proposed supertalls in Hyderabad but like Bangalore we don't know if they'll be built.

You forgot abt GIFT city (not Ahmedabad only GIFT)
Mumbai>Noida>Gurgaon>GIFT city>others....thats my pick.

I am sure many people here hvn't even heard of GIFT (Gujarat International Finance Tech City). Here is the GIFT city render -

This is a long-term project, so it will take time. Phase I is u/c currently.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Pals_RGB; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM   #671
Lordloya

Likes (Received): 2082

Mexico City, Santa Fe.

image hosted on flickr

Santa Fe por bdebaca, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Santa Fe, Mexico City por israel Saldaña, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The view from my window... por Guendanadxi, en Flickr

"Lugar entre lagunas y el cielo"

TowerVerre:), n20, Highcliff liked this post
Lordloya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM   #672
chennaisky
Da Boss

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post

You forgot abt GIFT city (not Ahmedabad only GIFT)
Mumbai>Noida>Gurgaon>GIFT city>others....thats my pick.

I am sure many people here hvn't even heard of GIFT (Gujarat International Finance Tech City). Here is the GIFT city render -

This is a long-term project, so it will take time. Phase I is u/c currently.
I Forgot to include GIFT.

Quote:
There are only a few projects in Kolkata.The CBD has a 245 metre tower u/c called The 42

The rest of the towers are outside of the city and spread out.

Here's a render of The 42

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by chennaisky; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
chennaisky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #673
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
New York will soon replace Hong Kong as the no.1 skyline, because Hong Kong being left behind in construction. New York is building 10 new supertalls in addition to the existing ones, whereas Hong Kong built its last supertall 3 years ago. Shanghai's Lujiazui skyline is very small compared to Midtown Manhattan or Hong Kong Island, and outside Lujiazui there are very few tall skyscrapers (only 1 supertall under construction, to be precise). Which leaves Shenzhen as the only true contender of New York. But Shenzhen is still in a tender age and the skyline is too sparse and spread out.

So in 2025, New York will have the best skyline in the world. If Shenzhen speeds up its pace of construction then it may take the second spot, because all of its separate skylines will be merged by then. Unlike most megacities, Shenzhen has no heritage and it doesn't hesitate to demolish older buildings to replace with newer ones. So its skyline is always transforming and expanding. But I don't believe it can catch up with New York by 2025. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2047, because Hong Kong is supposed to merge with Shenzhen in that year. If that happens, the new city will leave others to dust.
I have to agree with this. Two of the best skylines in the world - Hong Kong & Chicago - are lagging behind. Sure, for now they are still at the top. Question is for how long ... Shanghai and other Chinese cities are shooting ahead.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:14 PM   #674
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Faisal Shourov: Thanks very much. Most of Bangladesh is on a flood plain, correct?

Unfortunately, yes, most of Bangladesh is on flood plain We're building lots of 20-30 storied buildings in Dhaka and quite a few in Chittagong but those are not enough to keep up with the competition. The height is severely lacking because of the reasons I told you
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:31 PM   #675
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I have to agree with this. Two of the best skylines in the world - Hong Kong & Chicago - are lagging behind. Sure, for now they are still at the top. Question is for how long ... Shanghai and other Chinese cities are shooting ahead.
That's true . Currently, most of the world's supertalls are being built in NYC, Dubai, Shenzhen.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #676
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

Future Mumbai render by deekshith

I see serious potential

Highcliff liked this post
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #677
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

It looks tacky.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

1Filipe1, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #678
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:

I agree with you about New York is better than Hong Kong eventually and all the other stuff, But New York is bigger than Hong Kong. The area of development can't be expanded. Although it has a lot of space around the area connecting Shenzhen, but I have heard not to have many buildings, construction, and big area of development because its for the environment. And if that is true where else could they build towers? They can't knock down buildings because there isn't enough space to do so and it might knock down other buildings.

Shanghai's Lijiazui can't compare with NYC because when did it start its first really tall building? Jin Mao was the first megatall in 1999 so in that short time its better than NYC. Shenzhen and Dubai will probably beat NYC soon because with mass construction. For Shenzhen there was a reason for the CBDs to spread out, I live in Honolulu and I have the worst traffic in America. I know what it feels like when everyone rushes in and out during rush hour. Also its megatall and supertall is already more than NYC in u/c, and with the proposals it adds it to be a great skyline. Some people might think NYC is the best that's their opinion.

Also I have a question, I have never heard about Shenzhen emerging to HK, isn't it impossible because HK is an SAR and Shenzhen is mainland china, not sure how that's going to work. Is it going to be Shenzhen becoming an SAR or HK becomes part of mainland China?
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #679
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

New york has like over 20 supertalls or whatever the number was proposed, u/c, or built.. its not like its stagnate.

-Corey- liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #680
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

And just a few cities have more than 5 supertalls u/c like NYC is doing now

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

Tags
skyline