daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #741
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Boston dropped from 50 to 57 so I feel your pain. I think it only went up 1 point in the last year. That's what happens when the current "boom" is stuck around 70-90 meters. When the list started a few years back I think we were as high as 24. We are finally getting some nice new towers over here, (190-200m+) but I don't think that will be enough in this day and age, especially with Chinese cities exploding the way they are.
It's really hard to compete with that cheap Chinese labor, but I would prefer American workers be paid well. When the list started a few years back, Miami was actually as high as 18, which really kind of stunned me, but as you can see, we slowly slid down to 28. Still Miami has a lot under construction now and a lot more scheduled to start next year, so Miami will be gaining a lot more skyline. I just don't know how it will measure up with the other big skylines of the world.

Quote:
I think the most interesting one is Toronto. Most booming city in North America, and yet it didn't move. Also Istanbul, booming and fell a spot.
Toronto did at least move ahead of Panama City, which is what I was anticipating.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #742
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Is there away of accessing the old list? Regarding Toronto, the 'weakest' cities ahead of it seem to be Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Seoul... if you can call them weak at all. Jakarta will likely stay ahead of Toronto. There are 24 million people there.

In 2014, we might start to see the first significant drop for Chicago. It might fall 3 places down to 9th.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #743
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Manila was below Kuala Lumpur before (and Seoul I think....) now it's ahead.

next one to overtake is Singapore and Chongging. Can't wait for the updated list.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #744
isaidso
the new republic

Manila jumped ahead of Seoul as well.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

wino liked this post
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #745
wino

How is the development in Chongging?
Do you think Manila can catch up with it?

Growth in Chinese cities are just tough to catch up with..
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #746
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Is there away of accessing the old list?
Isaidso, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet. If the market holds up, with what's planned, Toronto has a shot at the top 10.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Quote:
In 2014, we might start to see the first significant drop for Chicago. It might fall 3 places down to 9th.
Unfortunately for Chicago, you could very well be right.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #747
wino

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Isaidso, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet. If the markets holds up, with what's planned, Toronto has a shot at the top 10.
I won't be surprised if other dark horses (Chinese cities below the top 20) will compete in the top 10 in the next few years though...

top 10 will really be a tough one. Even for Manila which is booming more than Toronto... Bangkok's score at top 9 is waaay ahead at 16,000 points... lots of catching up to do... So the only battle will be for TOP 10.. which will really really be a close fight among booming cities.

I'd be happy and content if Toronto jumps its rank UP somewhere in the top 15.

Last edited by wino; September 17th, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #748
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
I won't be surprised if other dark horses (Chinese cities below the top 20) will compete in the top 10 in the next few years though...

top 10 will really be a tough one. Even for Manila which is booming more than Toronto... Bangkok's score at top 9 is waaay ahead at 16,000 points... lots of catching up to do... So the only battle will be for TOP 10.. which will really really be a close fight among booming cities.

I'd be happy and content if Toronto jumps its rank UP somewhere in the top 15.
I see what you mean. I thought Miami had a shot at getting back into the top 20 (lower teens), but we still might not be able to do it even if all that is planned actually gets built.

My photo threads:

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #749
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Some of the new list is definitely wrong. For example, they forgot about Devon Tower in Oklahoma City! How do you miss something that large and prominent? Who knows what else they missed.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #750
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Isaidso, if there is, I haven't figured it out yet. If the market holds up, with what's planned, Toronto has a shot at the top 10.
Perhaps we should save the 2013 list so we're not in this position next year?

Toronto proposals represent a doubling of the current skyline, so a lot depends on them moving to construction. If only a quarter move to construction it will only be enough to maintain Toronto's current position or perhaps move to 15th.

All of them getting built should vault Toronto to about 19,000 pts, but the market has cooled down significantly here. I'm hoping they'll all still get built, but just take longer before shovels hit the ground.

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #751
DZH22

Keep in mind the (beyond) booming cities that are just itching to burst into the top 15 themselves, and rain all over the parade of the Toronto's, Miami's, etc. (well actually, they just rained all over Miami's parade, Toronto is next) The biggest threats here are Tianjin and Mumbai, with Beijing, Nanjing, and Moscow also lurking. Toronto is going to have a hell of a tough time breaking into the top 15. Even if they can pass, say, Singapore, Seoul, or KL within a few years (surprisingly unlikely) by then Tianjin and Mumbai will most likely have blown right by them. We've got a dogfight for sure!

wino, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #752
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Some of the new list is definitely wrong. For example, they forgot about Devon Tower in Oklahoma City! How do you miss something that large and prominent? Who knows what else they missed.
I'm not sure what you mean. Where are they listing one prominent building in one city?

Quote:
Perhaps we should save the 2013 list so we're not in this position next year?

Toronto proposals represent a doubling of the current skyline, so a lot depends on them moving to construction. If only a quarter move to construction it will only be enough to maintain Toronto's current position or perhaps move to 15th.

All of them getting built should vault Toronto to about 19,000 pts, but the market has cooled down significantly here. I'm hoping they'll all still get built, but just take longer before shovels hit the ground.
It doesn't let me copy the page as a picture, so I copied at least the text, which doesn't look very pretty, but at least the information is there. Anyway, 2025 is lots of time for Toronto to have another boom. For instance, a lot of projects that didn't make it in the last decade here in Miami are being resurrected in this decade. Our parade might have gotten rained on DZH22, but the parade is not over and we don't know where it's going to end.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; September 18th, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #753
DZH22

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Where are they listing one prominent building in one city?
They list the tallest building in each city. Devon was completed a year or 2 ago. It's something like 257 meters, yet they still list Chase as the tallest at 152 meters. That's almost 170 points missing from their tally. What I'm saying is, if they missed such a highly publicized building being completed, what else did they miss?

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #754
DZH22

I think this might help explain the omission of Devon Tower. Way to go Emporis!!!

http://www.emporis.com/building/devo...ma-city-ok-usa

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #755
wino

well it is already a given that the list isn't accurate.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #756
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
They list the tallest building in each city. Devon was completed a year or 2 ago. It's something like 257 meters, yet they still list Chase as the tallest at 152 meters. That's almost 170 points missing from their tally. What I'm saying is, if they missed such a highly publicized building being completed, what else did they miss?
Oh, I see what you mean. You have to click on "next 100" at the bottom to see that. I didn't even know there was a "next 100."

My photo threads:

Old September 18th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #757
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
It doesn't let me copy the page as a picture, so I copied at least the text, which doesn't look very pretty, but at least the information is there. Anyway, 2025 is lots of time for Toronto to have another boom. For instance, a lot of projects that didn't make it in the last decade here in Miami are being resurrected in this decade. Our parade might have gotten rained on DZH22, but the parade is not over and we don't know where it's going to end.
I'll try and remember that you have a copy. We'll need it this time next year.

It says a lot that some north American cities are building yet tread water or slip multiple spots in just one year. It's part of the global power re-alignment to Asia, but I suppose we should be glad that they're doing well. It means hundreds of millions of people are being lifted out of poverty there.

That said, we all have aspirations for the places we call home. Take solace in the fact that you Americans will always have New York. Canadians have long waited for a one of our cities to blossom into a world beater like that. Toronto is our best hope. We're adamant that we will get there although I'm quite pleased with the city it's turned into already.

Quote:
Keep in mind the (beyond) booming cities that are just itching to burst into the top 15 themselves, and rain all over the parade of the Toronto's, Miami's, etc. (well actually, they just rained all over Miami's parade, Toronto is next) The biggest threats here are Tianjin and Mumbai, with Beijing, Nanjing, and Moscow also lurking. Toronto is going to have a hell of a tough time breaking into the top 15. Even if they can pass, say, Singapore, Seoul, or KL within a few years (surprisingly unlikely) by then Tianjin and Mumbai will most likely have blown right by them. We've got a dogfight for sure!
It's going to be interesting to watch unfold although I have a gut feeling that Toronto will have to pull something out of a hat to move into the top 15. Toronto is a relatively small city and I'm not sure if we'll have enough scale behind us to stay in the game long term. We're going up against cities that completely dwarf us.

Last edited by isaidso; September 18th, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #758
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I'll try and remember that you have a copy. We'll need it this time next year.

It says a lot that some north American cities are building yet tread water or slip multiple spots in just one year. It's part of the global power re-alignment to Asia, but I suppose we should be glad that they're doing well. It means hundreds of millions of people are being lifted out of poverty there.

That said, we all have aspirations for the places we call home. Take solace in the fact that you Americans will always have New York. Canadians have long waited for a one of our cities to blossom into a world beater like that. Toronto is our best hope. We're adamant that we will get there although I'm quite pleased with the city it's turned into already.

It's going to be interesting to watch unfold although I have a gut feeling that Toronto will have to pull something out of a hat to move into the top 15. Toronto is a relatively small city and I'm not sure if we'll have enough scale behind us to stay in the game long term. We're going up against cities that completely dwarf us.
Isaidso, the ranking for the previous year though is in the column just to the left of this year's ranking.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

I have faith in what Toronto can do in the next 10 years though. The market might have slowed down there for now, but let's see what happens. I think a lot can happen.

With Miami, there is a lot planned and scheduled to start construction next year. It just has to get out of the ground to be counted, and here in Miami, we have lots of cheap property ripe for development and for whatever the market will bear. Lots of South American and European interest here right now. We don't have a lot of older history here in Miami that should be preserved. Just a lot a parking lots ready whenever the market is.

My photo threads:

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #759
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
They miss thousands of buildings of Chinese cities , I wonder is that many Chinese cities are no official statistics nor civil statistical data, where their data comes from?
teresabaixue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #760
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

The Chinese government is notoriously bad at collecting civil data.

teresabaixue liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline