daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #61
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaszWizla View Post
Yes. I also count smaller buildings to the skyline. Just the look of city from distance. Clusters of tacky-glass skyscrapers that don't make a city never make impression on me.
Bro your list is hilarious. I loved how you said smaller buildings, as if London has lots of large (!) and non-tacky (!) buildings
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #62
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Bro your list is hilarious. I loved how you said smaller buildings, as if London has lots of large (!) and non-tacky (!) buildings
Don't be so narrow minded - have you not seen London recently?
The Shard,
The Cheesegrater,
The Walkie Talkie,
The Gherkin,
The Heron Tower,
Tower 42,
Loads more...

AND Canary Wharf. Look into it mate... if it is not your taste then fair enough. But there is a reason why London is being mentioned a lot on this thread... especially for a City that didn't have many large skyscrapers 30 years ago.

~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #63
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8055

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHill View Post
10 Asian Cities to watch out:

(in no order)

Mumbai
Manila
Bangkok
Chongqing
Shenzhen

Jakarta
Guangzhou
Hanoi
KL
Nanjing

I feel Noida will join that list too in a few years..4 supertalls already approved within two years after the height relaxation in the region by the govt. As a satellite city of Delhi it has a huge advantage for vertical growth.

Edit - Noida (a city with less than a million population) ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noida ~

Last edited by Pals_RGB; July 10th, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #64
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

London and/or Istanbul could squeak into my top 20, but they'll have to start building at a faster clip than they're presently. Both are just so far back from the big skyline cities, they'll likely need 20-30 years to make up the gap if ever.
Bligh is not responding to Isaidso's post here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
But there is a reason why London is being mentioned a lot on this thread... especially for a City that didn't have many large skyscrapers 30 years ago.
I think Isaidso is right though in that London has too much ground to make up by 2025. I don't it's realistic to think that London will have the second best skyline in the world by 2025 when you look at how long it took other cities to gain the skylines that they have.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Avemano, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #65
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
The Shard,
The Cheesegrater,
The Walkie Talkie,
The Gherkin,
The Heron Tower,
Tower 42,
Loads more...

AND Canary Wharf. Look into it mate... if it is not your taste then fair enough. But there is a reason why London is being mentioned a lot on this thread... especially for a City that didn't have many large skyscrapers 30 years ago.

The Shard- 310 meter
The Cheesegrater- 225 meter
The Walkie Talkie- 160 meter (wow, so tall! )
The Gherkin- 180 meters (oops, just 420 meters short of being a megatall! )
The Heron Tower- 230 meter (shall we count this as a supertall, for you pleasure? )
Tower 42- 183 meter (this one is a behemoth, eh? )

These are the tallest buildings under construction in London? And you want us to believe that these handful amount of midget structures will elevate London to the no.2 position in skyline ranking? There is nothing spectacular about the skyscrapers (!) you mentioned, and they're tacky as hell. I suggest you take a look at Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Toronto related threads in skyscrapercity to gain some idea about constructions going on in these cities.

I still can't fathom how Shanghai is omitted from your chart. Anyway, this thread is about best skylines by 2025, not 2100, and I don't think London will demolish all their ancient buildings to create a visually appealing skyline.

I hope you would consider making some changes to you list. The world is larger than London my friend (and so are the buildings outside of it :P)
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #66
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

London has potential, none of the new buildings there are tacky at all imo. All pretty unique.
Would absolute height matter? Surely it is how big buildings are relative to their surroundings that defines the skyline?
Does having thousands of concrete residential apartment blocks improve a skyline?
I don't know...London has A LOT of money being spent in it, but not necessarily on its skyline.

gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #67
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1787

Nothing outside North America, and East and Southeast Asia. Will prolly be dominated by Chinese cities.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #68
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Building a bunch of supertalls and megatalls isn't going knock NYC from contention.. Adding on top of arguably the greatest skyline today will be:
1. The Hudson Yards.
2. the WTC
3. the Midtown East rezoning
4. a Redevelopment of the Penn Station Area
5. Individual supertall and tall skyscrapers projects spread throughout midtown and downtown (mainly around central park)

Also in Brooklyn and Queens, dozens of highrises and skyscrapers will add more height and density to their respective boroughs. Downtown Brooklyn alone could probably be a contender for a top 15 US skyline by then.

NYC is far from lagging behind, it will definitely be a contender for no. 1

Last edited by Hudson11; July 11th, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #69
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
London has potential, none of the new buildings there are tacky at all imo. All pretty unique.
Would absolute height matter? Surely it is how big buildings are relative to their surroundings that defines the skyline?
Does having thousands of concrete residential apartment blocks improve a skyline?
I don't know...London has A LOT of money being spent in it, but not necessarily on its skyline.
I agree, I've always really liked London's architecture and the modern skyline looks cool, but height and size wize it's too small and short to really compete globally, if we're talking purely aesthetics then sure.

As for my list, obviously a bunch of Chinese cities are going to be insane, then NYC, which will also be insane, then Dubai, Chicago and in the US I think San Francisco, LA and Miami will get a lot better, hopefully a few others.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #70
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

1. New York
2. Hong Kong
3. Shanghai
4. Shenzhen
5. Chicago
6. Dubai
7. London
8. Tokyo
9. Guangzhou
10. San Fransisco

I think New York will have the greatest skyline well into and beyond the 2050s. With the exception of Hong Kong, I don't find any of the Asian skylines to be that appealing. Sure Shanghai and Shenzhen have nice individual buildings, but there's more to the skyline than just individual buildings. How do those buildings look in relation to other buildings?

I think the layout of skyscrapers in Shenzhen and Shanghai in relation to other skyscrapers in those cities seems haphazard. There's a lot of low rise residential buildings next to the super-talls. There doesn't seem to be a nice architectural flow that New York and Shanghai have. Not to mention, there's a vast swath of repetitive, bland and boring residential apartment buildings with absolutely no architectural value. That alone places Shanghai, Shenzhen, and to some degree Hong Kong below New York.

Perhaps New York's greatest attribute is its architectural variety. Then again, if you're a modernist you're most likely not to give a damn.

gehenaus, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #71
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

London is not eligible for skyline discussion; not in the past, not present, not in near future. London doesn't have the density and height to be part of top 20 skylines in the world, it simply isn't a skyscrapercity. And the architecture is too tacky and boring IMO (80% of the buildings are 3-6 storied blocks). East Asia, South East Asia, Middle East and North American cities will rule global skyline charts for the next 2 decades.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #72
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Honestly after Dubai, I just threw whatever city I could think of first. The cities I think in contention are in my top 6. Maybe San Fran should be 7 and not London.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #73
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

^Yea, probably for a while

Adding to the list I would say Toronto and and maybe Sydney will be/ are amazing

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #74
Dmerdude

Quote:
London is not eligible for skyline discussion; not in the past, not present, not in near future. London doesn't have the density and height to be part of top 20 skylines in the world, it simply isn't a skyscrapercity. And the architecture is too tacky and boring IMO (80% of the buildings are 3-6 storied blocks). East Asia, South East Asia, Middle East and North American cities will rule global skyline charts for the next 2 decades.
Indeed. Although London is a very cool city, it is laughable to mention it in the top 10 for both now and future.
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #75
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

I thought I was the only one who thought that..
I'm surprised as well, that someone would include London in the top 10.

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #76
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDagreat View Post
1. New York
2. Hong Kong
3. Shanghai
4. Shenzhen
5. Chicago
6. Dubai
7. London
8. Tokyo
9. Guangzhou
10. San Fransisco

I think New York will have the greatest skyline well into and beyond the 2050s. With the exception of Hong Kong, I don't find any of the Asian skylines to be that appealing. Sure Shanghai and Shenzhen have nice individual buildings, but there's more to the skyline than just individual buildings. How do those buildings look in relation to other buildings?

I think the layout of skyscrapers in Shenzhen and Shanghai in relation to other skyscrapers in those cities seems haphazard. There's a lot of low rise residential buildings next to the super-talls. There doesn't seem to be a nice architectural flow that New York and Shanghai have. Not to mention, there's a vast swath of repetitive, bland and boring residential apartment buildings with absolutely no architectural value. That alone places Shanghai, Shenzhen, and to some degree Hong Kong below New York.

Perhaps New York's greatest attribute is its architectural variety. Then again, if you're a modernist you're most likely not to give a damn.
I think both London and San Francisco are totally unrealisitc for the top 10 with the ground that they have to make up. If you personally like them better, that's fine, but Miami has more of chance with what's planned than both these cities. Miami has a lot of room for a huge skyline with not a lot of older buildings that would have be demolished which don't have the historical merit of low-rise buildings in San Francisco and London, the destruction of which will bring out the NIMBYS in droves.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #77
PowerOfLondon

Likes (Received): 219

Quote:

These are the tallest buildings under construction in London? And you want us to believe that these handful amount of midget structures will elevate London to the no.2 position in skyline ranking? There is nothing spectacular about the skyscrapers (!) you mentioned, and they're tacky as hell. I suggest you take a look at Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Toronto related threads in skyscrapercity to gain some idea about constructions going on in these cities.
You don't know what your talking about. Shanghai has some of the most tacky scrapers I've ever seen. We have few but many of them are of high standard. You 'taller is better' types really piss me off. "Midget structures"? Hardly, 200 - 300m in my books is pretty bloody tall, sure not compared to other skyscrapers but technically a building of that size is enormous. When the pinnacle is built (if ever) it will absolutely be the best building in London or even Europe.
PowerOfLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #78
Dmerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfLondon View Post
You don't know what your talking about. Shanghai has some of the most tacky scrapers I've ever seen. We have few but many of them are of high standard. You 'taller is better' types really piss me off. "Midget structures"? Hardly, 200 - 300m in my books is pretty bloody tall, sure not compared to other skyscrapers but technically a building of that size is enormous. When the pinnacle is built (if ever) it will absolutely be the best building in London or even Europe.
When it comes to skyscrapers, "best in Europe" is irrelevant for world top 10. Even Guangzhou has a better skyline than anything in Europe and it is developing much faster. Shanghai is way out of league of anything in Europe.

I would agree London is the best in Europe tho.
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #79
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I think both London and San Francisco are totally unrealisitc for the top 10 with the ground that they have to make up. If you personally like them better, that's fine, but Miami has more of chance with what's planned than both these cities. Miami has a lot of room for a huge skyline with not a lot of older buildings that would have be demolished which don't have the historical merit of low-rise buildings in San Francisco and London, the destruction of which will bring out the NIMBYS in droves.
London may not be in the top 10, but San Fran? I think it's a skyline worthy of the top 10. Miami has a lot of nice condo developments, and a few nice commercial buildings but personally, I don't think any of them standout. Miami's skyline will get points the same way Shanghai and Shenzhen do;from the sheer number of buildings that may rise.

Honestly, the only cities that I thought of were the top 6.

1.New York

2.Hong Kong

3.Shanghai

4.Shenzhen

5.Chicago

6.Dubai

7-10 were mere afterthoughts.

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by LouDagreat; July 11th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #80
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1818

Well, the name of the threat is best skylines 2025, if somebody totaly dislikes Shenzhens and New Yorks skyline and loves the skyline of London (And I can understand it because IMO every building over 100m in London looks just wonderful) it can be number one or two. It isn`t all about the high and the number of buildings. I have London in my top 10 too, because the Shard, the Gerkin, the Leadenhall and the old design of th Pinnacle (I don`t think it will change to much) are just amazing. But personally I also would prefer Shenzhen or New York. But I made a list at page 3 and I chose London as the 9th best skyline in 2025.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline