daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #841
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4155

Maybe we should rename this thread "Biggest skyline by 2025" rather then "best" as that is what the discussion has turned into.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #842
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

^ There's a thread on that one already in another part of this forum.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #843
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Maybe we should rename this thread "Biggest skyline by 2025" rather then "best" as that is what the discussion has turned into.
In the modern world, a skyline is predominantly about height and scale. Best? Biggest? You're right that they're not the same thing, but a skyline's just not going to be considered for a 'best' list unless it's also big.

Architecture, layering, setting, quality? Those things matter a great deal, but it's what separates a Panama City from a Singapore.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 11th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #844
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
well to put it simply.. the thread is "more about" developments and future constructions and growth towards 2025.

Yep.. size should only be one of the criteria. We just got swayed and distracted by the AMAZIIIIIIIIING growth some cities are and will be experiencing.
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #845
Richardcornish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 56

I never realised how massive Toronto skyline is, it's got real density whic is the thing that London needs more of, just some normal boxy towers to build up the density, and then put our more modern and standout towers in the centre, that would be great, my personal skyline ranking for the world
1. Hong Kong
2. New York
3. Shanghai
4. Toronto
5. Chicago
6. Shenzhen
7. Guangzhou
8. Chongqing
9. Tianjin
10.moscow

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by Richardcornish; October 12th, 2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Had Guangzhou twice
Richardcornish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #846
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

u said guangzhou twice..... And where hk?
Old October 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #847
isaidso
the new republic

He has HK at #1.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 12th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #848
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In the modern world, a skyline is predominantly about height and scale. Best? Biggest? You're right that they're not the same thing, but a skyline's just not going to be considered for a 'best' list unless it's also big.

Architecture, layering, setting, quality? Those things matter a great deal, but it's what separates a Panama City from a Singapore.
A not-so-big skyline can be considered for a best list, but it is not likely to be rated highly. Biggest and best overlap when people give more weight to the size of a skyline in their overall assessment. If biggest is what makes best to some people, they are entitled to that.

In North America, Seattle and Vancouver are almost always ranked higher than Miami because many people find their skylines more aesthetically-appealing, even though Miami has a bigger skyline overall. I don't agree with them and consider them both to be overrated North American skylines, but to each his own.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; October 13th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #849
Richardcornish
BANNED

Size and scale is definitely the largest consideration when it comes to what is the best, as such no European city will ever be the best, and people who say that biggest doesn't mean best are usually from cities that don't have big skylines
Old October 12th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #850
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32204

Size and scale are a major consideration. However, I give strong weigh to other factors like placement, quality, spread, etc. Some skylines are not massive, yet they just look amazing and captivate you from one ore many angles. Take the Chicago skyline for instance. It definitely has height and quality as well as placement. And it looks different and appealing from many angles. Toronto's skyline, as another example, is dense and massive but lacks in my opinion iconic supertalls. And it just doesn't look breathtaking from many, if not few, points of view.

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #851
isaidso
the new republic

I've always found Toronto very odd in that regard. It looks spectacular from certain angles, then strangely under-whelming from others. A few things seem to be at play: the dwarfing effect of the CN Tower, a stacked density in the CBD next to a huge swath of middling density up to Yorkville, and the sheer size of the core (it's 5km from the lake to Yorkville).

Below is an example of the middling type density to be found in the core. It's starting to fill in, but does make parts of the core look under sized from lots of angles. You can see 4 towers under construction on this strip of Yonge Street. About 10 more are currently proposed, but it could do with 2-3 350m+ buildings.

image hosted on flickr

Counter Waiting by Neil Ta | I am Bidong, on Flickr

The current boom is mitigating all of those things, but Toronto will need the current crop of proposals built before that large core builds up to the CN Tower and fills in everywhere else. If those proposals get built, Toronto's skyline will likely look imposing from every angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
A not-so-big skyline can be considered for a best list, but it is not likely to be rated highly. Biggest and best overlap when people give more weight to the size of a skyline in their overall assessment. If biggest is what makes best to some people, they are entitled to that.

In North America, Seattle and Vancouver are almost always ranked higher than Miami because many people find their skylines more aesthetic appealing, even though Miami has a bigger skyline overall. I don't agree with them and consider them both to be overrated North American skylines, but to each his own.
I agree with most of that. Seattle and Vancouver are prime examples of smallish skylines that people rank higher than scale would dictate. Shenzhen is a great example of the opposite: a skyline that has the heft to be a top 6, but is rarely ranked that high.

That said, I don't think quality, setting, and beauty is enough to elevate a skyline that's maybe 40th largest in the world into a top 20. In the same vein, I can't justify dropping a skyline that is 6th or 7th largest in the world out of a top 20.

Last edited by isaidso; October 13th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #852
Richardcornish
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganY View Post
Metro Manila city it small , ugly and boring please stop spamming
No, metro Manila is huge, I don't understand Asians trolling against other Asians, you should all be happy that Asian cities are growing fast, a real multi polar world is on the way
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #853
isaidso
the new republic

Agree. Inter regional rivalry is one thing, but to call Manila small, ugly, and boring smacks more of resentment towards a rival city's rise more than anything else.

Old October 13th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #854
Richardcornish
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Manila, Bangkok, and Jakarta don't get the attention they deserve, but I think that will change over the next few years. All 3 are huge, but just need a few signature towers to make them stand out.
I think it's because they look similar, they need something unique, something original that stands out and is recognisable by people, so you just have to see one picture and know straight away that that's Manila, Bangkok, or Jakarta, but such structures are hard to plan and most landmarks came about not from central planing or specific intent, but as a by product of creative circumstance that catches people's attention and becomes a well known landmark, south east Asia could do with a couple
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #855
isaidso
the new republic

Agree, but they'll get there eventually.

Richardcornish liked this post
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #856
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcornish View Post
I think it's because they look similar, they need something unique, something original that stands out and is recognisable by people, so you just have to see one picture and know straight away that that's Manila, Bangkok, or Jakarta, but such structures are hard to plan and most landmarks came about not from central planing or specific intent, but as a by product of creative circumstance that catches people's attention and becomes a well known landmark, south east Asia could do with a couple
I think the Maha Nakhon tower will make Bangkok instantaneously distinctive and recognizable from it other southeast asian counterparts

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #857
Richardcornish
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
Guess the city? Its a contender for the top 10 by 2025.

When I see shots like this it makes me think about how most people in the west and the world, haven't even heard about places like Tianjin, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou, and don't have any idea about the sheer scale and ambition of these Chinese cities, people that don't know about this website would be shocked to see what is going on in Asia in the incredible futuristic infrastructure, airports, subways, high speed rail and tallest supertalls and megatall skyscrapers. It shows how a building an impressive skyline can really change the image of a city and make it more promising and forward looking, I wish European leaders would understand this, Canada and Australia changed their presence in the world through building great skylines. London thinks its the centre of the universe and doesn't need to worry about little matters like skyscrapers for prestige, but now even London have realised the benefits a city can get by having an impressive skyline. london has cool skyline now but soon London will have bigger skyline

Last edited by Richardcornish; October 13th, 2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: .
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #858
isaidso
the new republic

North American cities have a 100 year head start over Europe in skyscraper construction, but at least the process has started. I remember when the only tower of consequence in London was Nat West. Today there are a good 40 - 50 buildings in addition to that.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #859
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Some Bangkok pictures I found.... with the skyscrapers under construction and planned supertalls, this city is quickly moving up the ranks!

image hosted on flickr

Morning Bangkok Cityscape in Panoramic view by Natthawat Jamnapa, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Night Bangkok Cityscape in Panoramic View by Natthawat Jamnapa, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sukhumvit soi by Osakabe Yasuo, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bangkok panorama view by ishq pin, on Flickr
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #860
geloboi0830
IT and Urban Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 978

I don't understand why this city has been underrated, while in case many Chinese and Middle East cities have been so overrated. s(・`ヘ´・;)ゞ

TowerVerre:), robhood liked this post
geloboi0830 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline