daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #961
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
shanghai

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #962
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7119

Shenzhen
Scroll>>

From Wikipedia

From Wikipedia
Old December 8th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #963
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Shenzhen
Shanghai
New York
Hong Kong
Guangzhou

Toronto
Dubai
Tokyo
Manila
Bangkok

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Hayaki, saiho liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #964
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7119

DUBAI

image hosted on flickr

From Sand to Sky... by Charlie_Joe, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Glowing city by momentaryawe.com, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Nation's pride... by Charlie_Joe, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

A growing skyline by momentaryawe.com, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Arrows through the Burj... by Charlie_Joe, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

UAE National Day by momentaryawe.com, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Arrows over Marina... by Charlie_Joe, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Mercurial Marina... by Charlie_Joe, on Flickr

Last edited by Denjiro; December 8th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #965
XxlalixX

Likes (Received): 8

Nice pics
XxlalixX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #966
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denjiro View Post

That picture is quite old. This one is more recent. Futian CBD will grow thrice as big within next 5 years

Old December 9th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #967
Beck Duggleby
Ozone Layer

Likes (Received): 27

Love those pics, Denjiro! Dubai has definitely grown at an unprecedented pace; literally it was all desert and then suddenly this. Quite extraordinary, although eventually all of that money is going to run out...

I'll throw in my two cents and say Shanghai will have the best skyline by 2025. It shows no signs of stopping... then again, I don't want it eating into the Bund, that would be tragic.
Beck Duggleby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:50 AM   #968
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Mega developments in New York City:

- Hudson Yards
- Manhattan West
- Lower Manhattan / WTC
- Midtown / Midtown East Rezoning
- 57th Street
- LIC
- Jersey City
- Atlantic Yards
- Hunter's Point South
- Downtown Brooklyn
- Riverside

---> about 30 supertalls.
---> about 10 towers between 900 and 1000ft.
---> about 20 towers between 600 and 800ft.

Welcome to the new New York.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #969
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

- Hudson Yards
- Manhattan West
- Lower Manhattan / WTC
- 57th Street
- LIC
- Jersey City
- Atlantic Yards
- Hunter's Point South
- Downtown Brooklyn
- Riverside

Jersey City is in New Jersey not New York.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #970
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:

- Hudson Yards
- Manhattan West
- Lower Manhattan / WTC
- 57th Street
- LIC
- Jersey City
- Atlantic Yards
- Hunter's Point South
- Downtown Brooklyn
- Riverside

Shenzhen's got like over 50 supertalls U/C/App/Pro

From the Shenzhen Projects Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
My new Shenzhen Supertalls Video, based on z0rg's and Scion's List and all the SSC threads about Shenzhen.
Supertall Projects Total: 74
Built: 3
Topped Out: 2
Under Construction: 7
Site Preperation: 8
Approved: 2
Proposed: 52
The hights:
300m-399m: 55
400m-499m: 7
500m-599m: 6
600m+ : 6
(I also counted speculative supertalls in Qianhai and all the masterplans)
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #971
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Jersey City is in New Jersey not New York.
I know lol, and I mean no offense. The Jersey City skyline is such a major part of the whole New York skyline that I had to count it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
I'm not comparing New York to any Chinese city because they have totally different economics. Shenzhen builds huge office towers to put the city on the map. New York builds huge residential towers because there's a market / demand for it (the über-rich). Both cities are doing great in their respective fields.
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #972
evilstewie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post

From the Shenzhen Projects Thread
he wasnt comparing new york with shenzhen (new york is much better btw). Your post makes you seem very insecure

-Corey- liked this post
evilstewie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #973
evilstewie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

So even when all of shenzhens under construction and prep supertalls are complete, it will still onky have 20 supertalls, new york will have more than that by 2020
evilstewie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #974
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1832

Quote:
I know lol, and I mean no offense. The Jersey City skyline is such a major part of the whole New York skyline that I had to count it.

I'm not comparing New York to any Chinese city because they have totally different economics. Shenzhen builds huge office towers to put the city on the map. New York builds huge residential towers because there's a market / demand for it (the über-rich). Both cities are doing great in their respective fields.
Sorry, but no company is building tall towers for billions of dollars just to "put the city on the map". Why should a company be interested in that? The only real cause for building supertalls or any other skyscraper is to make profit. I think to invest in New York is much saver than to invest in Shenzhen, thats right, because New York is a Alpha++ world city and office space will be needed forever (But how much, look at the WTC and the Houdson Yards project, and their problems to find tenands) but you can make much more profit in Shenzhen because of the cheap workers and the fact that Shenzhen has a booming economy so that the possibility that Shenzhens companies are needing office space and the prices for office space will rise is high. Why a city with a booming financial and high tech economy, a population of 11-17 million and a huge population increase shouldn't built high? Another reason for the skyscraperboom in SZ is that most of Shenzhens area are mountains, and they can't use that much area to build, as a result the prices are increasing for the land are increasing. Btw. I love New York and Shenzhen. But if I had to choose where I want to live I would choose New York (for now), because I somehow love the New York lifestyle, cultur and atmosphere. For the skyline in 2025 everybody has to decide for his own which is more important, should a skyline be futuristic, historic, mixed? How important are iconic buildings like the crysler...? I think for peoples who prefer futuristic skylines Shenzhen will be No1 in 2025, but for people loving a mish-mash of futuristic and historic buildings in a skyline New York will be perfect. I think that people who love historic skylines will have Chicago on their Nr1 in 2025, if it isn't booming again.

Last edited by TowerVerre:); December 10th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #975
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Sorry, but no company is building tall towers for billions of dollars just to "put the city on the map". Why should a company be interested in that? The only real cause for building supertalls or any other skyscraper is to make profit. I think to invest in New York is much saver than to invest in Shenzhen, thats right, because New York is a Alpha++ world city and office space will be needed forever (But how much, look at the WTC and the Houdson Yards project, and their problems to find tenands) but you can make much more profit in Shenzhen because of the cheap workers and the fact that Shenzhen has a booming economy so that the possibility that Shenzhens companies are needing office space and the prices for office space will rise is high. Why a city with a booming financial and high tech economy, a population of 11-17 million and a huge population increase shouldn't built high? Another reason for the skyscraperboom in SZ is that most of Shenzhens area are mountains, and they can't use that much area to build, as a result the prices are increasing for the land are increasing. Btw. I love New York and Shenzhen. But if I had to choose where I want to live I would choose New York (for now), because I somehow love the New York lifestyle, cultur and atmosphere. For the skyline in 2025 everybody has to decide for his own which is more important, should a skyline be futuristic, historic, mixed? How important are iconic buildings like the crysler...? I think for peoples who prefer futuristic skylines Shenzhen will be No1 in 2025, but for people loving a mish-mash of futuristic and historic buildings in a skyline New York will be perfect. I think that people who love historic skylines will have Chicago on their Nr1 in 2025, if it isn't booming again.
New York will be the no.1 skyline simply because it has only two separate skyline which are highly concentrated. Shenzhen may never have the density because it prefers wide roads, big parks and massive convention centers/shopping malls in the middle of CBD areas. Not to mention, Shenzhen has around 5 separate skyscraper complex which are far away from each other. That's why none of Shenzhen's skylines will have visual impact as impressive as New York. New York will remain as the skyline king for the next 25 years imo (NYC skyline is getting taller itself)

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #976

Everybody have to decide this on his own, but I think I would prefer New York too in 2025.
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #977
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Quote:
I mean "put on the map" in a good way. What I mean is that companies want their buildings tall and shiny, and that's a good thing. New York could really use a bit more boldness in that regard. And yes, you pretty much summed it up what's going on in Shenzhen.
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #978
saiho

Quote:
Sorry, but no company is building tall towers for billions of dollars just to "put the city on the map". Why should a company be interested in that? The only real cause for building supertalls or any other skyscraper is to make profit. I think to invest in New York is much saver than to invest in Shenzhen, thats right, because New York is a Alpha++ world city and office space will be needed forever (But how much, look at the WTC and the Houdson Yards project, and their problems to find tenands) but you can make much more profit in Shenzhen because of the cheap workers and the fact that Shenzhen has a booming economy so that the possibility that Shenzhens companies are needing office space and the prices for office space will rise is high. Why a city with a booming financial and high tech economy, a population of 11-17 million and a huge population increase shouldn't built high? Another reason for the skyscraperboom in SZ is that most of Shenzhens area are mountains, and they can't use that much area to build, as a result the prices are increasing for the land are increasing.
Yes, Shenzhen will end up like Hong Kong a entire high rise world sandwiched between the mountains and the sea.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #979
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstewie View Post
he wasnt comparing new york with shenzhen
FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm pretty sure we both didn't bring up the stats to start some my city is better than your city fight. I bring it up to give an idea on what is out there potentially. Which is what the thread is about. I didn't even make a single comment about New York, let alone a negative one. I'm from and living in North America, with New York as my favorite North American city.

However, by posting this:

Quote:
(new york is much better btw). Your post makes you seem very insecure
and following up by this:

Quote:
So even when all of shenzhens under construction and prep supertalls are complete, it will still onky have 20 supertalls, New York will have more than that by 2020
shows some serious hypocrisy on your part.

TowerVerre:), cfredo liked this post

Last edited by saiho; December 11th, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #980

Quote:
I mean "put on the map" in a good way. What I mean is that companies want their buildings tall and shiny, and that's a good thing. New York could really use a bit more boldness in that regard. And yes, you pretty much summed it up what's going on in Shenzhen.
Ok, sorry for the missunderstanding. But I thought you meant that Shenzhen just builds because they think that buildings are looking nice or something like that. I support every statement you said in the quoted post.

Tags
skyline