daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #81
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

2 or 3 Very nice buildings doesn't make the most beautiful skyline..
at least to make it to the "WORLD's TOP 10"..

you need more than that.. or get eaten up by competition.
not that it's a serious competition..

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #82
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

The title of the thread is "Best Skylines by 2025", not "Biggest Skylines by 2025". Maybe those of you who prefer quantity over quality should create a new thread.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #83
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
The title of the thread is "Best Skylines by 2025", not "Biggest Skylines by 2025". Maybe those of you who prefer quantity over quality should create a new thread.
You need both for the best skyline. This is a discussion thread, laughable suggestions to top 10 will get called out.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #84
Pew
No, no and no

Likes (Received): 235

Lol topic. Someone could explain what 'best skyline' means ? It's hard for me but I have to agree with my fellow londoners who try to defend their few scrapers in front of chinese new forrests. A skyline maybe not defined as a city which have the highest number of buildings but rather if the whole thing fits together.. shenzen , guanghzou, shanghai are full with just high buildings, I don't recognize the city, I barely see a park, history is drawned by modernity. There's no soul. It's just impressive by the outstanding barrier of steel and concrete.. humans lives there btw ? So, no. The best skyline for centuries will be New York. And Singapore is awesome aswell. And in a second range, not classified by skyscrapers indeed, I would see the variety, creativity, with multi downtowns of two european cities London and Paris. You can throw the 800 meters buildings, it won't change the fact that you these cities suffer with a lack of identity.
Second reason, and it's more linked to the economy. China and other emerging cities know nowadays a significant economicgrowth, we all know that. And when I see all these construction sites I can't stop seeing a bubble that will explose as soon as the global economic growth in these countries lowered just a few bit. If the demand sudently stops, the buildings will be depreciated, companies will leave them, and you will ot see a new construction site for decades. So don't stop sustain your growth because Europe is building with no growth at all.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #85
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew View Post
Lol topic. Someone could explain what 'best skyline' means?
"Best" is subjective. "Best" pretty much means whatever you want it to mean regardless of how unrealistic it might be, but since the thread-starter made this also a projection to 2025, we can really only go by what's on the drawing board for certain cities and the likelihood of these projects being built based on what cities have the most momentum. Some people's "best" will remain the "best" in 2025 regardless of what is being built elsewhere, just like for me, New York will always be the best, if not the biggest.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #86
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

New list:

1-New York
2-Shenzhen
3-Dubai
4-Tianjin
5-Hong Kong
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #87
wino

well.. yeah London has 4 awesome buildings?

But how many other cities have more than that?
I mean, are 4 precious buildings ENOUGH to make London in the top 10?

I mean, London skyline is OK. I have nothing against it. But considering there are a bunch of cities out there with better buildings, I don't think it will not even make it the top 20..

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #88
wino

Quote:
I agree with Dmerdude.

Yeah, of course you get points with quality buildings.
But you also get points with density, size etc...... so sorry, IMO London not even in the top 20.

This the WORLD's BEST after all, you can't be good only at a SINGLE CRITERIA. You should at least be good at all.

sorry if I sounded too mean.. but that's not my intention.

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #89
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

London wouldn't be in my top 10 skylines in the world either. It's just irritating to see numerous threads hijacked by posters who insist that quantity alone is what makes a skyline. Even more so when other people's opinions are laughed out of the thread.

For me what constitutes the best skyline is a city's skyline silhouette. It's that picture postcard view of a linear array of buildings silhouetted against the sky. A lot of Asian cities do nothing for me as they just don't have that picture postcard view. The CBD is hidden behind a wall of highrise residential buildings. That for me does not create a great skyline.

To show you what I mean, here is a photograph of Atlanta. This skyline is a perfect example. The city has been planned out in such a way that the skyscrapers form a line through the city. Admittedly it isn't a dense skyline, but line the camera up the right way and you have a picture postcard shot like this.

image hosted on flickr

Atlanta skyline by John Hudson Photo, on Flickr

That's a classy skyline, I love the way the buildings form a silhouette against the sky; and for me that silhouette has to be one of the best in the world. I'm sure it isn't top 10, or even going to be in the top 10 in 2025, but I'd take that over Shenzhen any day.

SO143, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #90
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
To show you what I mean, here is a photograph of Atlanta. This skyline is a perfect example. The city has been planned out in such a way that the skyscrapers form a line through the city. Admittedly it isn't a dense skyline, but line the camera up the right way and you have a picture postcard shot like this.

image hosted on flickr

Atlanta skyline by John Hudson Photo, on Flickr

That's a classy skyline, I love the way the buildings form a silhouette against the sky; and for me that silhouette has to be one of the best in the world. I'm sure it isn't top 10, or even going to be in the top 10 in 2025, but I'd take that over Shenzhen any day.
image hosted on flickr

DSC_0319 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #91
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

I still think New York, you can readily identify NY from its silhouette. Which I like very much.
It also has an air of not trying too hard, in complete contrast to Dubai.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #92
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
It also has an air of not trying too hard, in complete contrast to Dubai.
It doesn't have to try too hard because it's New York! It seems to me that everybody else in the 21st century is trying to either be like New York or is trying to outdo New York when New York simply evolved to be New York.

My photo threads:

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #93
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

To have a good skyline, you need to have both quality and quantity. London has neither. In fact, it's skyline not even recognizable apart from those who have visited the city or seen its photos 1000 times on the internet (if it has any skyline at all).

As others said above, few short landmarks like Big Ben doesn't make a skyline. This is why New York will be one of the best skyline in the world for decades, not London or any other European city (Moscow is catching up however). In fact, London will be out of top 30 by 2025 if it doesn't construct new quality skyscraper. 5/6 isn't enough by world standard.

To have a good skyline, it should be recognizable in the first place. Here, this is a skyline that would remain in the top 10 in 2025. I can't say the same for London though.

image hosted on flickr

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #94
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

i find the comments in this thread pretty amusing!

SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #95
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
That's Miami isn't it? It's not bad, but the skyline is a little boring. No buildings really jump out at me there like Miami Tower does when it's lit up at night. Miami needs more drama, more interesting buildings and a few taller buildings. What it doesn't need is more of the same in greater quantity.

Faisal Shourov, I have not been talking about London. I have been talking about forumers such as yourself who clearly favour quantity reguardless of what the skyline actually looks like. However it is clear that you have no knowledge of London's development history or what is planned in the city. I suggest you have a read through this thread, which is by no means a complete list of projects.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...57&postcount=1

Shanghai from that one particular view is fantastic. Shenzhen does not have such an attractive view point.

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #96
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:

Faisal Shourov, I have not been talking about London. I have been talking about forumers such as yourself who clearly favour quantity reguardless of what the skyline actually looks like.
I was referring to the future skyline of Shenzhen, and it has plenty of modern skyscrapers under construction. I don't prefer old and short buildings constituting the cityscape of a city. This is why most European cities don't have any skyline worth mentioning. Feel free to disagree.

Quote:
However it is clear that you have no knowledge of London's development history or what is planned in the city. I suggest you have a read through this thread, which is by no means a complete list of projects.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...57&postcount=1

Shanghai from that one particular view is fantastic. Shenzhen does not have such an attractive view point.
Of course I don't have any idea about London's development, how many notable skyscrapers are under construction in London at the moment? I don't need to know about a handful 200 meter buildings, or stadiums and bridges; those are abundant throughout Asia and North America as well. I'm not interested in construction of any kind other than skyscrapers here at Skyscrapercity. And for Shenzhen, the Futian district will be very much recognizable after Ping An Finance Centre is completed. I'm not saying Shenzhen will overtake London as a global city by 2025, but skyscrapers do matter when you are discussing about skylines. Shenzhen has plenty of quality buildings as well, if you know where to look. Cheerio

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #97
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I say let's give Shenzhen some time to develop, then judge it later. Remember when everyone thought that Dubai with its 30 something supertalls would eclipse every skyline in the world? There was a mass hysteria here on SSC, quite unbearable. Well today, we all know what happened, i.e. how those buildings turned out (talk about Dubai Marina!) ...
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #98
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

For me Dubai is horrendous. Ugly and artificial, looks like a bad save game of sim city.
Would place many cities above it.

-Corey- liked this post
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #99
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Of course I don't have any idea about London's development, how many notable skyscrapers are under construction in London at the moment? I don't need to know about a handful 200 meter buildings, or stadiums and bridges; those are abundant throughout Asia and North America as well. I'm not interested in construction of any kind other than skyscrapers here at Skyscrapercity.
I gave you a project list, which if you had bothered to read it, included over 60 buildings over 100 meters tall, 35 of which are over 150 meters tall. Hardly a handful of minor developments. Most of which are projected to be complete by 2025.

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #100
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
I gave you a project list, which if you had bothered to read it, included over 60 buildings over 100 meters tall, 35 of which are over 150 meters tall. Hardly a handful of minor developments. Most of which are projected to be complete by 2025.
There are already about 50 buildings in Shanghai taller than 200 meters, so 35 buildings over 150 meters is very a low number compared to North American or Asian cities. And I checked all the photos, none of them are special. Most of them are far more 'tackier' than the supertalls being built in Shenzhen and Guangzhou. So yeah, London will not be part of top 20 skylines by 2025. London can look like today's Bangkok at best after 12 years; Chinese cities are way out of its reach. I think you've forgotten European cities were never famous nor recognized for highrises but for their ancient architecture, which are not skyscrapers. London is not a skyscrapercity. Get over this Fact

Dmerdude, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
skyline