daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #981
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Likes (Received): 4243

Balneário Camboriu, Brazil
121,900 hab

Today:

image hosted on flickr

BC por v.santiagoo, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Vista aérea del Balneario Camboriú, Brasil por Gastón S., no Flickr

2020:

Image hosted on /blog.kartta.com.br(no indication of the photographer at the source)

Image hosted on /gempreendimentos.com.br(no indication of the photographer at the source)

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #982
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6781

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Mega developments in New York City:

- Hudson Yards
- Manhattan West
- Lower Manhattan / WTC
- Midtown / Midtown East Rezoning
- 57th Street
- LIC
- Jersey City
- Atlantic Yards
- Hunter's Point South
- Downtown Brooklyn
- Riverside

---> about 30 supertalls.
---> about 10 towers between 900 and 1000ft.
---> about 20 towers between 600 and 800ft.

Welcome to the new New York.
that just made my day (well , at least the rest of it )

Just imagine Vanderbuilt,432 park ave, Tower Verre, 217 west 57th street(Condo Tower) -> Billionaires Row, Nordstrom, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoltage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Well, even if the render of this tower is not final, I thought it would be interesting to see the four supertall towers of 57th Street together. Hard to scale them due to the different angles, but here they are:

Here they are from west to east, with a different render for One57:

I might have made One57 a little too tall in these. Once a final render for the GG+AS tower is out, maybe someone with Photoshop will do a better collage.

The square footages of each building as I have them (in order of the bottom render):

225 W 57th: 1,200,000
One57: 800,000
111 W 57th: 306,000
432 Park Avenue: 545,000
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #983
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Toronto

image hosted on flickr

toronto skyline by Gregs_c, on Flickr
Old December 12th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #984
Yuree

Likes (Received): 142

01. Hong Kong
02. Shenzhen
03. New York
04. Shanghai
05. Guangzhou
06. Chongqing
07. Tokyo
08. Manila
09. Toronto
10. Seoul
11. Dubai
12. Chicago
13. Singapore
14. Kuala Lumpur
15. Jakarta

Giants
Japan~China

Asian Tigers

Singapore~South Korea~Taiwan~Hong Kong

Tiger Cub Economies

Malaysia~Philippines~Indonesia~Thailand

bozenBDJ, Dito Roso liked this post
Yuree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #985
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
New York will be the no.1 skyline simply because it has only two separate skyline which are highly concentrated. Shenzhen may never have the density because it prefers wide roads, big parks and massive convention centers/shopping malls in the middle of CBD areas. Not to mention, Shenzhen has around 5 separate skyscraper complex which are far away from each other. That's why none of Shenzhen's skylines will have visual impact as impressive as New York. New York will remain as the skyline king for the next 25 years imo (NYC skyline is getting taller itself)
Both skylines will be very impressive in 2025 and it will come down to personal preference. Shenzhen is certainly the new kid on the block so it will take a while for people to develop an appreciation for it. That's true of all 'up and comers'.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #986
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

Still honestly believe in 2025 this will be in the top 25 asthetically attraticve skylines in the world. Rate of development is very, very good for a western city and even better for a European city.

Canary Wharf is likely to triple in size over the next 12 years then you have the city and it's surround clusters plus others such as Stratford etc. Could look amazing.

[]

Old December 12th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #987
isaidso
the new republic

The only cluster in Europe that compares to Canary Wharf is Moscow's new CBD. La Defense is bigger, but I have a preference for north American style clusters. On this side of the pond, Calgary's a long shot but could be in the mix if it keeps growing as fast as it is. I'd put Miami in that category as well. Both could squeak into a top 30 if their booms continue for another 11 years, but will have a tough time staying level with London.

Calgary, Alberta

http://www.offshootstudios.com/2012/08/10/aerial-shot-with-d800/

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 12th, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #988
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Please dont post London in this thread. Its already spammed enough as is.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #989
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
How you still survive on this forum I will never know. Please stop trolling and go away.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #990
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1813

Quote:
What is wrong if somebody expresses his opinion and posting nice pictures in addition? Do you think that London can't have a good skyline by 2025 only because it has not as much buildings as Chinese cities or North American?
Btw. I have a question,
why is Hong Kong building so less buildings at the time?
Isn't Hong Kong a wealthy and growing city and the land is expensive?

Last edited by TowerVerre:); December 12th, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #991
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The only cluster in Europe that compares to Canary Wharf is Moscow's new CBD. La Defense is bigger, but I have a preference for north American style clusters. On this side of the pond, Calgary's a long shot but could be in the mix if it keeps growing as fast as it is. I'd put Miami in that category as well. Both could squeak into a top 30 if their booms continue for another 11 years, but will have a tough time staying level with London.
What's Calgary's development like? Is it sufficient? I've always loved it's skyline. It's clean, well planned and great scenery. I think Miami if it can distinguish what it needs, and where it could easily do it but at the moment it's just building, there doesn't seem much logic behind where or the designs. Alot of coastal sea cities end up doing this. Lack of attention to detail.

Old December 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #992
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
What is wrong if somebody expresses his opinion and posting nice pictures in addition? Do you think that London can't have a good skyline by 2025 only because it has not as much buildings as Chinese cities or North American?
Btw. I have a question,
why is Hong Kong building so less buildings at the time?
Isn't Hong Kong a wealthy and growing city and the land is expensive?
that guy is blatantly trolling to irritate other members. He also dislikes Toronto for no apparent reason

Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #993
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
What's Calgary's development like? Is it sufficient? I've always loved it's skyline. It's clean, well planned and great scenery. I think Miami if it can distinguish what it needs, and where it could easily do it but at the moment it's just building, there doesn't seem much logic behind where or the designs. Alot of coastal sea cities end up doing this. Lack of attention to detail.
Calgary is a very small city in the grand scheme of things, but it keeps growing like gangbusters. It's really been booming for about 60 years straight from sleepy prairie town to what you see today.

That said, Calgary has only now reached a scale and size where top calibre/notable buildings are going up. The Bow (236m) was followed in quick succession by another 200m+ building that topped out last year, Eighth Avenue Place. The city's tallest is under construction (Brookfield Place, 247m) with Telus Sky (221m) set to break ground soon.

A total of 5 million square feet of office space is going up in Calgary while the city looks to be at the start of a residential boom downtown. I wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary's skyline double in size over the next 15 years. There's not as much in the works as in London right now, but many seem to think they're about to see a huge construction boom with the population exploding as it is.

Miami? I haven't been a fan of their skyline for the most part, but I sense that's about to change. They have some real game changers in the works and it will likely cement its position in north America as a strong #4 over the next 10 years. I don't see any north American city resting that from them. Then again, Calgary might come out of nowhere. It's got something Miami doesn't: a booming economy with huge demand for office space.

Last edited by isaidso; December 12th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #994
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Calgary is a very small city in the grand scheme of things, but it keeps growing like gangbusters. It's really been booming for about 60 years straight from sleepy prairie town to what you see today.

That said, Calgary has only now reached a scale and size where top calibre/notable buildings are going up. The Bow (236m) was followed in quick succession by another 200m+ building that topped out last year, Eighth Avenue Place. The city's tallest is under construction (Brookfield Place, 247m) with Telus Sky (221m) set to break ground soon.

A total of 5 million square feet of office space is going up in Calgary while the city looks to be at the start of a residential boom downtown. I wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary's skyline double in size over the next 15 years. There's not as much in the works as in London right now, but many seem to think they're about to see a huge construction boom with the population exploding as it is.

Miami? I haven't been a fan of their skyline for the most part, but I sense that's about to change. They have some real game changers in the works and it will likely cement its position in north America as a strong #4 over the next 10 years. I don't see any north American city resting that from them. Then again, Calgary might come out of nowhere. It's got something Miami doesn't: a booming economy with huge demand for office space.
Thanks for the reply. 5m sqft is an awful lot of office accommodation U/C. does the city require that much?

Birmingham (my city) currently requires pre-lets to begin office schemes. Is Calgary building speculatively?

Old December 12th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #995
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

I think this also shows just how much London is going skywards.

image hosted on flickr
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #996
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

In 10 years Miami may have the North America number 3 spot behind New York and Chicago. It might have as many as 5-6 supertalls and many more 200m+ buildings. The international demand for Miami property will carry it far.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #997
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Who can say what 2025 will hold for us all? He can post London here if he wants, though I would prefer news on more up and coming projects to justify it as I would for all cities being posted in this thread just to give us an idea of what we have to look forward to.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #998
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Thanks for the reply. 5m sqft is an awful lot of office accommodation U/C. does the city require that much?

Birmingham (my city) currently requires pre-lets to begin office schemes. Is Calgary building speculatively?
Calgary is far smaller than Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, but has become Canada's 2nd largest head office city after Toronto. A great deal of office space demand comes from its status as the capital of our oil industry. With all those energy companies based in Calgary comes the need for tens of thousands of professional services jobs in geology, finance, accounting, research, etc. It is to Canada what Houston is to the United States.

Speculative construction is almost unheard of in Canada these days. Both Toronto and Calgary over built during the last building cycle. The industry has swung to the other extreme and only builds when vacancy rates hit rock bottom. Many analysts have criticized the industry for being too risk averse and we're facing many years of scarcity of supply in both Toronto and Calgary.

I'm not sure what % of a building needs to be pre-let for it to proceed, but buildings are majority spoken for before shovels go in the ground.

Sirius2.0, TowerVerre:), Birmingham liked this post
Old December 13th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #999
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
In 10 years Miami may have the North America number 3 spot behind New York and Chicago. It might have as many as 5-6 supertalls and many more 200m+ buildings. The international demand for Miami property will carry it far.
I thought this might be the case after the boom we had in the last decade, but Toronto had quite a boom at the beginning of this decade and I don't see Toronto standing still long enough for Miami to pull ahead of it in total number of tall buildings, supertall or not. Miami will surge ahead of all other U.S. cities behind New York and Chicago and is almost in the same league with those cities U.S. with the international interest in Miami real estate and continued development.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1000
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

What about San Francisco..
right now I find it better than Miami.. just not sure after 2025..

Tags
skyline