daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #1161
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 876

I Like London's skyline of the mix of the old and the new. It looks like a 1980 sifi skyline

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #1162
GdlMty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8577

I really hope the skyline of Mexico City to become the best in 2025.

image hosted on flickr

This area has been having an amazing growth.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
GdlMty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #1163
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
I Like London's skyline of the mix of the old and the new. It looks like a 1980 sifi skyline
You mean like Blade Runner?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #1164
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3970

It's just a massing but it shows growth of Canary Wharf. This is from Heron Quays proposal for a second tower. Both will be 186m tall and start construction in Summer this year. It lacks a pinnacle but it also shows just how dense it'll be as there are now 20+ towers proposed/U/C in the district between 150-250m.

TowerVerre:), geometarkv liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #1165
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

A lot of the new stuff that's coming down the pike that you showed me I liked a lot, a lot better than what's up in London now, so let's see what the market will hold.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old January 20th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #1166
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Canary Wharf does look promising, but it's coming off a very small base. It's smaller than Pittsburgh currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I am still puzzled what any of this has got to do with this thread or what I wrote. I was only discussing Chicago's and Toronto's respective skylines and at no point did I allude to the presence or absence of other historic architecture in Toronto
It wasn't clear that you were referring to skyscrapers only. I thought I made that point quite clear.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 20th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:09 AM   #1167
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55231

Dubai

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nev11d...4/in/contacts/
by Anna Shtraus
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:17 AM   #1168
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canary Wharf does look promising, but it's coming off a very small base. It's smaller than Pittsburgh currently.
That's true. But it's not that small in comparison ...

Pittsburgh has 23 towers 100m or above.
Canary Wharf has 15 towers 100m or above.

Pittsburgh has 9 towers 150m or above.
Canary Wharf has 7 towers 150m or above.

Pittsburgh has 2 towers 200m or above.
Canary Wharf has 3 towers 200m or above.

Comparison - U/C & Approved/Proposed

Pittsburgh 100m or above = 2
Canary Wharf 100m or above = 31
Pittsburgh 150m or above = 0
Canary Wharf 150m or above = 23
Pittsburgh 200m or above = 0
Canary Wharf 200m or above = 9

These towers alone triple Canary Wharfs size and blows Pittsburgh out the water.

100m+ Canary Wharf 46
100m+ Pittsburgh 25

150m+ Canary Wharf 30
150m+ Pittsburgh 9

200m+ Canary Wharf 12
200m+ Pittsburgh 2

-

Worth noting that opposite Canary Wharf is Greenwich Peninsular. Lots of mid-high rises popping up there also.

Last edited by Birmingham; January 21st, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1169
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Still has a long way to go
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:20 PM   #1170
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Still has a long way to go
Totally agree, but what Toronto more or less has now (30 150m+ towers) - Canary Wharf (just 1 district of London) will have in the near future. That is quite impressive considering it's just one area of the city.

When you take into account, Nine Elms, The City, Stratford, Greenwich Peninsular, Blackfriars, Elephant & Castle clusters the skyline will look very stretched and every tall.

To me the vision I'm seeing is really, really impressive.

It's no New York, Dubai, Shanghai or even Toronto - But it'll be in the top 25.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM   #1171
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Totally agree, but what Toronto more or less has now (30 150m+ towers) - Canary Wharf (just 1 district of London) will have in the near future.
The World Almanac and Book of Facts lists 46 over 150m. According to this source, Toronto has quite a few more than that, but I'll let Isaidso address it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...st_skyscrapers

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; January 22nd, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:30 AM   #1172
isaidso
the new republic

I think most recognize that Toronto is miles ahead of London on the skyscraper front. With Toronto being the faster growing city, I don't see London putting much of a dent in that gap. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
To me the vision I'm seeing is really, really impressive.

It's no New York, Dubai, Shanghai or even Toronto - But it'll be in the top 25.
London's skyline is blossoming and it could be in the top 25 in a decade or two, but it will need help from cities ahead of it. A lot of them will have to tread water or grow extremely slowly for London to get there. Many of them are cities like Tianjin and Melbourne however. They're growing rapidly themselves.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 22nd, 2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:11 AM   #1173
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

I agree with isaidso. Basically, the current top 25 would have to stop building for the next 15 years for London to catch up. I just don't see it in the top 25 at this stage.

A part of me just wishes all of London's skyscrapers/highrises were concentrated in one single cluster, as opposed to half a dozen scattered all over the city. London, for the most part, has quality, but is lacking quantity and general wow-factor you get on approaching traditional skyscraper cities like New York, Chicago, Toronto, Melbourne etc.

That said, and I've said it before, London doesn't need a great skyline to make it a great city. I'd trade all the skylines in Australia for the cultural offerings of London.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:02 AM   #1174
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I get unhealthily excited thinking about what NYC's skyline will look like 10 years from now

Birmingham, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:05 PM   #1175
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I think most recognize that Toronto is miles ahead of London on the skyscraper front. With Toronto being the faster growing city, I don't see London putting much of a dent in that gap. I'll just leave it at that.
But it still remains that currently Toronto has 30 150m+ towers. So if you pick up Toronto currently, bang it on top of Canary Wharf, that is the type of density just that "ONE" part of London's skyline will have over the next few years. That's the theory. Taking what there is today. Not tomorrow or in a few years. Just today.

Also, Just a correction. Non-skyline related. Toronto is not even close to being a faster growing city than London.

Toronto city has grown by 134,000 between 2001-2011
London city has grown by 1,002,000 between 2001-2011

Quote:
London's skyline is blossoming and it could be in the top 25 in a decade or two, but it will need help from cities ahead of it. A lot of them will have to tread water or grow extremely slowly for London to get there. Many of them are cities like Tianjin and Melbourne however. They're growing rapidly themselves.
They are growing rapidly indeed. Although London currently has 56 towers over 150m U/C/Proposed/Approved compared to Melbournes 32.

Current stats.

150m+ Built

Melbourne 27
London 15

150m+ U/C, Proposed, Approved

Melbourne 32
London 56

Total 150m+

Melbourne 59
London 71

-

You have to remember London's population is growing so fast and the burden of building tall has been broken. Towers are being proposed and 3 months later, are on site.

London has to go up, 49,000 homes a year and the majority will be in towers.

I'm only really trying to defend the notion that it seems London is being over looked due to it's traditional low rise stance despite, on paper it exceeding many cities being talked about on here in terms of density and height.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:09 PM   #1176
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
But it still remains that currently Toronto has 30 150m+ towers.
I guess this is your source for that:

http://skyscrapercenter.com/create.p...=on&list_year=

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; January 22nd, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1177
chennaisky
Da Boss

Likes (Received): 149

Greater Noida, U.P, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
photo copyright Dinesh Khanna

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:56 PM   #1178
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
But it still remains that currently Toronto has 30 150m+ towers. So if you pick up Toronto currently, bang it on top of Canary Wharf, that is the type of density just that "ONE" part of London's skyline will have over the next few years. That's the theory. Taking what there is today. Not tomorrow or in a few years. Just today.

Also, Just a correction. Non-skyline related. Toronto is not even close to being a faster growing city than London.

Toronto city has grown by 134,000 between 2001-2011
London city has grown by 1,002,000 between 2001-2011
Sorry, but that has to be the worst case of hand picking data to skew a conclusion I've ever seen. City boundaries are largely meaningless. The City of London is actually a tiny 2.90 sq km piece of land containing 7,375 people. Does it make sense to use that? No it doesn't.

Population of Toronto over the years. Growth has averaged 86,000/year for 30 years and over 90,000/year the last 10 years. Courtesy of Statistics Canada:

1981: 2,998,947
1991: 3,893,933
2001: 4,682,897
2011: 5,583,064

Over the last decade, Toronto grew almost as much as London in absolute terms and much faster in % terms. If one covers the last 30 years, Toronto wins handily by both measures. Toronto almost doubled in size over that period. Based on how off the mark your perception of things is, it might help for me to add Toronto to your table:

100m+ Built, U/C, Proposed
London 102
Melbourne 140
Toronto 387

150m+ Built, U/C, Proposed
London 46
Melbourne 59
Toronto 107

200m+ Built, U/C, Proposed
London 15
Melbourne 19
Toronto 37

That's for all of London's mini skylines. Even if all proposals get built, Toronto's skyline would be more than double the size of London's by all of these measures. Melbourne will remain ahead of London as well.

Last edited by isaidso; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1179
TheEnlightened

Likes (Received): 25

Neither Toronto nor London will have a top 5 skyline by 2025. Now can you ladies stop whining like 8 year olds and get back on topic?

Union Man liked this post
TheEnlightened no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM   #1180
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Toronto at least have a REAL shot in the top 20 at least.

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline