daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #101
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

That was 35 buildings either under construction or planned over 150 meters. That is not including the buildings already constructed.

Once again you are citing the fallacy that numbers alone make a skyline. They do not. I'm not going to bother questioning your logic behind what you consider to be "Tacky", as this is subjective and everyone has their own opinions. That's fine. I really hope London never looks like Bangkok, Shenzhen and Guangzhou because that would be going backwards in my opinion. London already has a far more attractive skyline using the the definition that I mentioned earlier.

London being a skyscraper city or not is your opinion, it certainly isn't fact. London for me is a skyscraper city, and it will get better and better with the number of proposals in the table. European cities have not been known for their skyscrapers, but then other than Hong Kong and Tokyo neither were Asian cities until recently. In fact I would even argue your first point, that European cities have "never" been famous for their highrises. Frankfurt is famous for this very reason.

I hope you get over the delusion that numbers alone are what make a skyline. You really are going to miss out on some great skylines in cities all around the world if you hold onto this view.

BOTTOM, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #102
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

But you are the one who presented the projects list and gave numbers as if we are supposed to be impressed by numbers.

This is an interesting list of cities with height in meters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...st_skyscrapers
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #103
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Then London should go backwards. Stop being biased towards a city just because it's got a supertall and a few highrises under construction recently. London is an ordinary city in skyline department. It has neither the quality nor the quantity to be relevant in this thread. These photos of Guangzhou are 3 years old, show me better pics of present London skyline if you can.

image hosted on flickr

Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #104
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Impressive, however any city can be made to look good using quality lighting.
It is only in daylight that their true character can be judged. IMO

kiligoland, Guy_J, Union Man liked this post
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #105
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
But you are the one who presented the projects list and gave numbers as if we are supposed to be impressed by numbers.

I gave him the list as he clearly hasn't got a clue what he is arguing against.

Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #106
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Then London should go backwards. Stop being biased towards a city just because it's got a supertall and a few highrises under construction recently. London is an ordinary city in skyline department. It has neither the quality nor the quantity to be relevant in this thread. These photos of Guangzhou are 3 years old, show me better pics of present London skyline if you can.

I'm not being biased towards London. You fail to read and understand anything I write. None of those photos you posted show the city skyline. They show the cityscape which is something entirely different. There is no skyline in those photos!

What you mean to say is, London is ordinary in the highrise cityscape department. And in that area I would agree with you. There isn't the density there yet. But skyline wise London is far more attractive than dosens of Asian cities with their high rise forests.

image hosted on flickr

London Skyline by corerising, on Flickr

Now that is a skyline. Know the difference.
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #107
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 555

Santiago Chile is a city worth watching skyline wise ... the "Sanhattan" district of the city will radically transform the skyline over the next decade or so.

Marsupilami liked this post
Riley1066 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #108
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post

Pity that list is outdated. I need to update the New York figures.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #109
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
There isn't the density there yet. But skyline wise London is far more attractive than dosens of Asian cities with their high rise forests.

I'm sorry, but I truly do not like the London skyline, and I'm being kind compared to what I've said about it privately. The Miami skyline might be boring, but there's not a single building in London that I would like to see in Miami.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old July 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #110
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

London skyline is decent.. comparable with other smaller Canadian and Australian skylines like Montreal, Edmonton, Perth.. etc..
but IMO, not enough for the world's top 10.. San Francisco, Singapore, Calgary and Seattle are the "better smaller skylines" that has the chance to sneak in my top 10. But I'm not sure how much projects are in line for these cities..

I'm surprised with Guangzhou , would be interesting to see how it would look like in 2025.

Last edited by wino; July 12th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #111
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 555

While many Asian and Middle Eastern cities have hugely tall skyscrapers, they always seem to be built in a vacuum. There's hardly any dialog or interchange between neighboring buildings because every tower is some architect's grand master ego-trip statement and the skylines of these cities, Shanghai and Dubai in particular, never form a cohesive feel.

Hong Kong is one of the rare exceptions to this rule though. European and North American and even some of the more aggressive Latin American skylines seem more well thought out than mainland China's or the Middle East.

Perhaps because of their white hot growth rates these cities don't really have the luxury of patience and forethought as to how their skylines look, but I think that down the road a bit they may come to regret many of the architectural decisions they made in creating the eventually unsatisfying skylines that they'll be stuck with.
Riley1066 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #112
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:

I'm not being biased towards London. You fail to read and understand anything I write. None of those photos you posted show the city skyline. They show the cityscape which is something entirely different. There is no skyline in those photos!

What you mean to say is, London is ordinary in the highrise cityscape department. And in that area I would agree with you. There isn't the density there yet. But skyline wise London is far more attractive than dosens of Asian cities with their high rise forests.

image hosted on flickr

You seriously call this a skyline? These midget 120 meter buildings of London won't even be visible in Guangzhou. You've lost creditability by comparing Guangzhou with a 3rd-tier skyline like that of London's.

Here are some photos of Dhaka skyline. My hometown Dhaka is pretty dense too, but I wouldn't call it a skyline and compare it with Guangzhou.

Kawran Bazar area

Banani area

Motijheel Area
[IMG]http://i42.************/n365he.jpg[/IMG]

Clustering up a few highries packed together doesn't make a good skyline. There has to be certain height and quality present in buildings to create an aesthetic view of skyline. And London has none of that. This is why it will not make it to the top 20 skylines by 2025.

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; July 12th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #113
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1855

Quote:

image hosted on flickr

It is. But definitely not in top 10.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #114
Dmerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
London skyline is decent.. comparable with other smaller Canadian and Australian skylines like Montreal, Edmonton, Perth.. etc..
but IMO, not enough for the world's top 10.. San Francisco, Singapore, Calgary and Seattle are the "better smaller skylines" that has the chance to sneak in my top 10. But I'm not sure how much projects are in line for these cities..

I'm surprised with Guangzhou , would be interesting to see how it would look like in 2025.
Shenzen is also good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Futian District

by 1788111, gaoloumi.com
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #115
NateArchibald
Empire State of Mind

Likes (Received): 132

Since the name of the thread is Best Skylines and not Biggest Skylines...

by 2025 and 2050
1. Hong Kong
2. New York
3. Chicago

I can't even finish this list because my favorite skylines are Frankfurt, Toronto, Los Angeles, Sydney, London, Paris, etc, and I don't think they will change much.

I just think most of the buildings in cities like Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Dubai look like they were designed by children. Shanghai somehow manages to look 1000x more fake than Las Vegas, that is supposed to be fake.

Fitzrovian liked this post
NateArchibald no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #116
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

Any number of Chinese cities could make it on this list, but I think NYC is pretty much unbeatable for #1.

NYCrulz liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #117
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

This was posted on SSP a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I pulled together another montage. I'm sure I missed some projects, but I tried to be as comprehensive as possible. I also used a little creative freedom on projects such as 225 West 57th Street and the Grand Central Tower. I should mention I'm working on another one for Brooklyn - coming soon!

image hosted on flickr

Original Image Source

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #118
Dmerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Any number of Chinese cities could make it on this list, but I think NYC is pretty much unbeatable for #1.
Hong Kong and Shanghai can contest NYC. This is arguable, unlike London being in top 10.

I think Hong Kong already has a better skyline. NYC has gorgeous historical buildings, but Hong Kong does have a better natural setting (mountains). It looks more futuristic too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
By fdxchris from dcfever :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo L. Ramirez View Post

Hong Kong does beat NYC in numbers too
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #119
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateArchibald View Post
I can't even finish this list because my favorite skylines are Frankfurt, Toronto, Los Angeles, Sydney, London, Paris, etc, and I don't think they will change much.
Toronto will not be left behind. So IMO, it is and will still be part of world's top 10.

There is an ongoing construction boom in the city (The biggest in N.America). The number of buildings could almost double in a matter of time.
take a peak at this thread.

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #120
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Toronto will not be left behind. So IMO, it is and will still be part of world's top 10.

There is an ongoing construction boom in the city (The biggest in N.America). The number of buildings could almost double in a matter of time.
take a peak at this thread.
Toronto for the top 10 by 2025 is quite realistic. Miami could crack the top 20 on a few people's list with what's planned and the momentum we have going down here.

My photo threads:

Tags
skyline