daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM   #1181
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
But it still remains that currently Toronto has 30 150m+ towers. So if you pick up Toronto currently, bang it on top of Canary Wharf, that is the type of density just that "ONE" part of London's skyline will have over the next few years. That's the theory. Taking what there is today. Not tomorrow or in a few years. Just today.
So you want to compare the current Toronto with the future London? That's not fair, let's compared the two city NOW, at the current status.

Currently there're 12 +150m building in London, 15 built + U/C, while in Toronto there're 30 +150m built, and 49 built + U/C.
Not even talking about the sea of +130m or +140m U/C around the city.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1182
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnlightened View Post
Neither Toronto nor London will have a top 5 skyline by 2025. Now can you ladies stop whining like 8 year olds and get back on topic?
Sorry, but if his information on San Francisco was wildly off I'm sure you'd be showing him the facts. That doesn't make someone a lady or 8 years old.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1183
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Neither Toronto nor London will have a top 5 skyline by 2025. Now can you ladies stop whining like 8 year olds and get back on topic?
Are you talking raw height figures?

Because aesthetically London is in the top 5 right now. Easily. And by 2025 will be cemented by the inclusion of a much broader and higher skyline.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1184
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Sweetheart, this is on topic! If you don't like this particular aspect of the topic, you are free to peruse other threads and other forums on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Toronto at least have a REAL shot in the top 20 at least.
It has a REAL shot of staying in the top 20 where it already is.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:33 PM   #1185
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Are you talking raw height figures?

Because aesthetically London is in the top 5 right now. Easily. And by 2025 will be cemented by the inclusion of a much broader and higher skyline.
It's still a matter of personal taste and what the markets will hold over time.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM   #1186
SomeKindOfBug

London's economy is stronger than Toronto.

The UKs economy is much stronger than Canada's.

I mean, anyway you slice it, Toronto is only ahead on height by virtue of not having two thousand years of history beneath its foundations.

But we're comparing apples to oranges here. Tall is good but design is also good. Neither is inherently better. It's weird to directly compare to vastly different cities. They occupy different circles of influence and their architecture serves radically different purposes.

Toronto is better compared to Chicago. And London is better compared to Paris. In terms of global positioning, they're so different that it all comes down to what matters most to you. Total height or overall design.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1187
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Because aesthetically London is in the top 5 right now. Easily.
One could put any skyline on the planet in a top 5 based on personal taste.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1188
Zack Fair

Quote:
London's economy is stronger than Toronto.

The UKs economy is much stronger than Canada's.

I mean, anyway you slice it, Toronto is only ahead on height by virtue of not having two thousand years of history beneath its foundations.
Oh give me a break, since when this thread has become "The best country's economy?".
UK's GDP is less than double the Canada's GDP, and we have roughly half of your population.

We are done now with this foolish debate?

Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:53 AM   #1189
isaidso
the new republic

He pretty much killed his credibility with this comment:

Quote:
The UK's economy is much stronger than Canada's.
Time to move on.

Last edited by isaidso; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:57 AM   #1190
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennaisky View Post
Greater Noida, U.P, India
Mumbai will definitely be in the mix. It will very likely be in the top 10. Here's another top 10 candidate:

[IMG]http://i43.************/2zntuf6.jpg[/IMG]
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1905230242

saiho, Birmingham, n20 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:09 AM   #1191
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Fair View Post
Oh give me a break, since when this thread has become "The best country's economy?".
UK's GDP is less than double the Canada's GDP, and we have roughly half of your population.

We are done now with this foolish debate?
Considering we are living in the year 2014. And this thread is about skylines in 2025, and skyscrapers are built using money, this entire thread is built upon the concept of economies.

Especially as, if you read carefully, I was responding to another poster who suggested (correctly) that current skylines might not be an indication of what the future will hold, but that many things contribute to their potential. One of those things is the strength of the economy building them.

Someone else compared Toronto to London. I was merely pointing out that current trends suggest a much healthier construction phase over the next eleven years in the UK. Obviously that might change. So instead of using pure height as a metric of judgment, perhaps aesthetics is better?

Also, little sidenote, while Canada does have half the population, it also has forty times the land area. Land rich in minerals and natural resources. Population is just one aspect of an economy. Things are more complicated than you seem to grasp.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:11 AM   #1192
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
He pretty much killed his credibility with this comment:

Time to move on.
If I killed my credibility with a factual statement then I don't even know what universe you lot are living in.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #1193
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

you don't seem to realize that national growth doesn't have an effect on a cities skyline growth. Factors include real estate markets, the cities growth (which is well above the national average in Toronto's case, its posting something like 3% growth rates, compared to an otherwise stagnating Canadian economy due to falling oil prices making expensive alberta crude infeasible), land use planning, etc. Toronto has put extreme limiting factors on suburban sprawl growth, and has resulted in a fundamental market shift away from single family homes that dominated the market in the 80's and 90's into high density residential. Couple that with an extremely desirable city,high population growth, and an extremely pro development municipal environment (if rather forced at times, to much dispute), and you end up with an environment that is extremely encouraging of skyscraper growth in an context (developed western nation) that traditionally sees small growth.

even that explanation is extremely simplified, the real estate market in Toronto (or any city for that matter) is a multi-billion dollar industry that is an extremely complicated matter and can be difficult to explain. The basics is that Toronto has seen stratospheric growth over the last decade, and that it is unlikely to slow down.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:14 AM   #1194
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
If I killed my credibility with a factual statement then I don't even know what universe you lot are living in.
The real one. Can we get back to skyscraper construction/proposals 2014-2025 now please?

Last edited by isaidso; January 23rd, 2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:28 AM   #1195
Zack Fair

Quote:
Considering we are living in the year 2014. And this thread is about skylines in 2025, and skyscrapers are built using money, this entire thread is built upon the concept of economies.

Especially as, if you read carefully, I was responding to another poster who suggested (correctly) that current skylines might not be an indication of what the future will hold, but that many things contribute to their potential. One of those things is the strength of the economy building them.

Someone else compared Toronto to London. I was merely pointing out that current trends suggest a much healthier construction phase over the next eleven years in the UK. Obviously that might change. So instead of using pure height as a metric of judgment, perhaps aesthetics is better?

Also, little sidenote, while Canada does have half the population, it also has forty times the land area. Land rich in minerals and natural resources. Population is just one aspect of an economy. Things are more complicated than you seem to grasp.
Your argument fail when you say that we should using the aesthetic factor, which is pure subjective, instead using the pure facts. I'm not arguing London can't have a construction boom, I'm arguing that with the data available now (which are the only one we have, unless you can see into the future), the amount of building being built and under construction is larger in Toronto than in London. Number speaks, happy to be wrong in the future, but now that's the situation.

Also, I can't see how pop. density can be correlated to the economic health in this thread, but honestly I don't care, I'm tired of this nonsense debate.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1196
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Also, I'd like to point out that the growth of a skyline is not exactly dependent upon the economy of the city or country where the skyline happens to be situated. For instances, Miami's skyline boom is largely fueled by South American wealth and not the local economy. So the my country is more economically healthy than your country or my city is more economically healthy than your city argument doesn't really hold that much water.

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:09 AM   #1197
soloveich
Збагойный Ватнег

Likes (Received): 7345

SF in a few years. Who knows about 2025... The city is booming
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:24 AM   #1198
TheEnlightened

Likes (Received): 25

Even the mods are de railing this thread. What a shame...

Union Man liked this post
TheEnlightened no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:39 AM   #1199
Zack Fair

Wow San Francisco is going to be insane. What's the name of the bigger proposal?

Quote:
Even the mods are de railing this thread. What a shame...
And that's your best contribution to this thread... zero. Awesome

Anyway, I've found out some Innsertnamehere's models for future Toronto, this below is the southcore with everything currently U/C (one month from now he'd add Ten York model in that image)

That's what Bloor/Yonge skyline (Toronto Midtown) could looks 5-6 years from now. Blue are U/C, yellow are building currently on sale, red are proposals.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:43 AM   #1200
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

It's good to see San Francisco booming again. It's a former 3rd largest skyline in the U.S. I lived there during the early 80s.

My photo threads:

Tags
skyline