daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:45 AM   #1201
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnlightened View Post
Even the mods are de railing this thread. What a shame...
I'm aware, and I have also put it back on track. Pardon me for making a point of clarifcation, which actually was on topic.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:49 AM   #1202
soloveich
Збагойный Ватнег

Likes (Received): 7345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Fair View Post
Wow San Francisco is going to be insane. What's the name of the bigger proposal?
Transbay tower. 326 meters

Prep work is, actually, being done at the moment
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1499656

TowerVerre:), Eliseo S liked this post
soloveich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:42 AM   #1203
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

This is a model of the city used by the Victorian State Government to show what Melbourne will look like in a few years time.

Some of the blue have since been completed, some have since gone and been redesigned and there's a handful of buildings that have been left out altogether, but it's the best we've got at the moment

Melbourne will still have grown from this significantly come 2025 by which time it's population is predicted to be between 5.4 and 5.7 million people (currently 4 million).

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM   #1204
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

What are the specifications for that new tallest in the center on the left?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:00 AM   #1205
Dimethyltryptamine

That's Australia 108. It was going to be 388m, but has since been redesigned and will be 312m in order to comply with flight paths over the CBD.

I'm still sort of hoping it will be shelved for a few years and the architects will come up with something...a little more timeless and elegant.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:09 AM   #1206
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Even the mods are de railing this thread. What a shame...
Construction and proposals are very much 'on topic' for a 'Best Skyline of 2025' thread, and now 2 mods have indicated that to you. So far all you've been interested in is name calling and insults. How about contributing photos and/or data?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:13 AM   #1207
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
It's good to see San Francisco booming again. It's a former 3rd largest skyline in the U.S. I lived there during the early 80s.
That SF rendering looks awesome. I'm not sure it it can regain #3 in the US again, but a solid #4 is certainly in the cards.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1208
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
That's Australia 108. It was going to be 388m, but has since been redesigned and will be 312m in order to comply with flight paths over the CBD.
Don't you just hate that? I know it's for the sake of aviation safety, but it sure does get frustrating!

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:21 AM   #1209
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That SF rendering looks awesome. I'm not sure it it can regain #3 in the US again, but a solid #4 is certainly in the cards.
I think the interest in Miami is just too insane right now for San Francisco to have a 3rd largest skyline again. If you've noticed in the World Almanac recently, the list of 150m buildings for Miami at the moment is almost twice as long as that of San Francisco, so they would have a lot of ground to make up. I just hope we get more interesting designs in this decade rather than developers trying to get the best bang for their buck with all these short boxy condos.

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:21 AM   #1210
Dimethyltryptamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Don't you just hate that? I know it's for the sake of aviation safety, but it sure does get frustrating!
Indeed though I guess what is most annoying is that it's all because of some tiny airport a few KMs north of the city that is only used for light aircraft, not even the main international airport.

Quote:
In April, 2013, it was reported that Australia 108 would have infringed on federal regulations protecting aircraft safety, known as PANS-OPS, particularly in regard to aircraft departing and arriving at Essendon Airport, located some 13 kilometres to the north of the project site.
Another 404m building was scrapped because of it

They could essentially change the flightpath and it would be fine, but they won't :/
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:11 AM   #1211
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Indeed though I guess what is most annoying is that it's all because of some tiny airport a few KMs north of the city that is only used for light aircraft, not even the main international airport.

They could essentially change the flightpath and it would be fine, but they won't :/
This is what dictates what the Miami skyline looks like, and it ain't so tiny. We have this narrow window between runway approaches to MIA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miamiflyme/2948516828/
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1212
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

DUBAI

image hosted on flickr

firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1213
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Whenever I think New York can't build anymore, they find a way to do it. Here, on the left, you can see the number of tall buildings that have sprung up in Brooklyn now. Manhattanization has jumped the river now in New York.

image hosted on flickr

New York Approach by talico, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1214
soloveich
Збагойный Ватнег

Likes (Received): 7345

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Well, this is the center of "new economy". That render is only of buildings that have been proposed/approved/UC. Don't forget that this insane amount of money just started pouring into the city. And I don't see a good reason for slowing down. After all, 21st century is the age of information, and we are its capital
soloveich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:16 PM   #1215
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

This rendering is only the left half of my first aerial photo below, which shows the full spread of the Miami skyline. It doesn't show the three 500-footers in my second aerial below, and the second rendering below shows what is planned for Edgewater, which is our midtown area. There are four buildings over 500 feet tall planned in the second rendering. Unfortunately, we can't have any buildings over 200 meters in Edgewater because referencing the aerial of Miami International Airport above, you can see that this area is right in line with MIA runways in the left of the photo. There are 600-footers planned near the 500-footers already up.

My photo threads:

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1216
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 3980

Quote:
Neither Toronto nor London will have a top 5 skyline by 2025. Now can you ladies stop whining like 8 year olds and get back on topic?
Topic is top 5 though is it kiddo?
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:19 PM   #1217
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
So you want to compare the current Toronto with the future London? That's not fair, let's compared the two city NOW, at the current status.

Currently there're 12 +150m building in London, 15 built + U/C, while in Toronto there're 30 +150m built, and 49 built + U/C.
Not even talking about the sea of +130m or +140m U/C around the city.
I wasn't comparing Toronto with London. I was describing Canary Wharf (a part of London) growth. I was given the vision that Toronto currently with the fantastic skyline it has now has 30 150m+ towers then saying that Canary Wharf has that in the pipeline so visually and statistically Canary Wharf in a decade time will be in a similar position that Toronto find's itself in now and therefore it will form a very dramatic part of the whole London skyline.

I'm trying to get across the numbers. I'm sure if you read it properly you will understand the point rather then skimming it to throw your toys out the pram.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:35 PM   #1218
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Your argument fail when you say that we should using the aesthetic factor, which is pure subjective, instead using the pure facts. I'm not arguing London can't have a construction boom, I'm arguing that with the data available now (which are the only one we have, unless you can see into the future), the amount of building being built and under construction is larger in Toronto than in London. Number speaks, happy to be wrong in the future, but now that's the situation.

Also, I can't see how pop. density can be correlated to the economic health in this thread, but honestly I don't care, I'm tired of this nonsense debate.
Numbers do speak. London's is the most heavily invested real estate market in the world.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1219
bbcwallander

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Numbers do speak. London's is the most heavily invested real estate market in the world.
You are correct and there are currently an additional 69 100m+ towers currently proposed, approved or under construction.

Staggering!
bbcwallander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1220
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I wasn't comparing Toronto with London. I was describing Canary Wharf (a part of London) growth. I was given the vision that Toronto currently with the fantastic skyline it has now has 30 150m+ towers then saying that Canary Wharf has that in the pipeline so visually and statistically Canary Wharf in a decade time will be in a similar position that Toronto find's itself in now and therefore it will form a very dramatic part of the whole London skyline.

I'm trying to get across the numbers. I'm sure if you read it properly you will understand the point rather then skimming it to throw your toys out the pram.
No, actually I understood that you want to put Canary Wharf (it's still a London's district, right? So why that foolish polemic?) into a future perspective and how much will be dense that district, comparing it with the current T.O. skyline. But it's still pretty much nonsense for me, I could say "hey Toronto now has more skyscrapers than Manhattan back in the 1940". Apple and orange.

Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline