daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1241
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayaki View Post
Ok

The current boom of Toronto and Miami is really impressive (it rivals the cities in the far east like Seoul, Manila, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen).
Just curious, is the boom of Miami exceeding construction of New York City at the moment? I know Toronto is, but don't know about Miami.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #1242
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Just curious, is the boom of Miami exceeding construction of New York City at the moment? I know Toronto is, but don't know about Miami.
No, not yet! It's still in the beginning phases. I believe the bulk of new projects will break ground over the next two years. Two new projects just broke ground last week.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #1243
Cicoz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

Dubai is untouchable when it comes to height and futuristic looking buildings.
Cicoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #1244
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
No, not yet! It's still in the beginning phases. I believe the bulk of new projects will break ground over the next two years. Two new projects just broke ground last week.
When cities develop far faster than what one would expect there's often something else at play. I know that Miami has a massive Cuban born population, but it's never been a truly global city from a business, cultural, and/or economic point of view imo. Do you sense that it is turning into that as people/money pours in from Asia, Europe, and Africa? Or is it still better described as a regional hub for the whole region?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #1245
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When cities develop far faster than what one would expect there's often something else at play. I know that Miami has a massive Cuban born population, but it's never been a truly global city from a business, cultural, and/or economic point of view imo. Do you sense that it is turning into that as people/money pours in from Asia, Europe, and Africa? Or is it still better described as a regional hub for the whole region?
It's turning more into a truly global city every day. I keep hearing more Russian, German, and French. We already have Lufthansa landing an A380 here during the winter months. We anticipate Air France landing an A380 here soon.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old January 26th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #1246
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
It's turning more into a truly global city every day. I keep hearing more Russian, German, and French. We already have Lufthansa landing an A380 here during the winter months. We anticipate Air France landing an A380 here soon.
I think you're witnessing the tip of the iceberg. Miami has always had strong brand recognition around the world, far higher than cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, or even Chicago. Some cities enjoy that special glow due to geography, climate, or circumstance; Miami has all 3.

The key is for Miami to become a big economic hub for business. When that happens it will snow ball. You have the chance to become the Singapore for latin America even though you're not in it. Too many people still see Miami as just a big city in the sun.

Btw, the vast majority of those people speaking French in Miami are likely Canadian.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1247
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Btw, the vast majority of those people speaking French in Miami are likely Canadian.
Come to think of it, you're right! That's been for a while now. I just hope Banco Santander out of Spain still plans to put their world headquarters here on Brickell avenue. That would give us another 250+m skyscraper to look foward to as well as solidify our position as the "Singapore of latin america."

My photo threads:

Old January 26th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #1248
isaidso
the new republic

Banco Santander is thinking of moving their World HQ out of Spain?

Old January 26th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #1249
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Banco Santander is thinking of moving their World HQ out of Spain?
Yes! They were actually planning to put a 250m+ skyscraper on Brickell Avenue. They even had FAA approval and asked for an extension at one point because of the economic crisis in Europe.

This post by Desertpunk is from June 20, 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It was supposed to go right here between the Four Seasons and Espirito Santo.

image hosted on flickr

CSC_0692 by QuantumX, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Old January 26th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #1250
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Using this rendering as a point of reference, you can imagine how it might look in the skyline. We might still get it. We don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMdev View Post

My photo threads:

Old January 26th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #1251
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

At least 3 projects from the last decade have come back from the dead bigger and better. We are hoping that Capital at Brickell will be one of them. The nearly 300-meter Banco Santander tower was/is to go one block east of them toward the bay on Brickell Avenue where their orangish, much smaller regional headquarters is now.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1115

My photo threads:

wespje1990, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #1252
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Yes! They were actually planning to put a 250m+ skyscraper on Brickell Avenue.
Wow, that's a major score for the US and absolutely devastating for Spain. It would be akin to Apple leaving the US and setting up shop in Madrid. I'm surprised the Spanish government allowed it.

Old January 26th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #1253
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Wow, that's a major score for the US and absolutely devastating for Spain. It would be akin to Apple leaving the US and setting up shop in Madrid. I'm surprised the Spanish government allowed it.
That could very well be the hold up behind this project. We don't know.

My photo threads:

Old January 26th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #1254
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

Now I update my list.
I think that Seoul will be one of the best skylines by 2025 'cause:
1. Lotte World Tower, 556 m, is now U/C
2. Seoul Light, 650 m, will start after the current Seoul mayor, so it is a Proposed supertall, not a cancelled project.
3. Hyundai GBC, 540 m, is now an approved supertall
4. A CHINESE COMPANY TRY TO RESUME IBD PROJECT, SO IT ISN'T DEAD. 620 m the tallest tower.

So wait and Seoul will be one of the best skylines

PROUD TO BE GAY.

7 AUG 2007 - 30 SEP 2014
SNSD without Jessica won't be the same anymore.
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #1255
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Isaidso, I could be mistaken and it's just going to be a regional headquarters inside a huge 250m+ tower, but that tower is what they had planned to put on Brickell Avenue at one point. We might still see it. I've just never heard any more about it since June of last year. I think One Brickell CityCentre was a big game-changer in that regard and they might not want to compete with it.

That could be one happened to the other supertall we had planned - One Bayfront Plaza. I think the developers shot themselves in the foot by trying to second guess the market and postponing the ground-breaking over-and-over ad nauseum.

My photo threads:

Old January 27th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #1256
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

very busy construction in one of Manila's booming CBDs.
Can't wait to post the "NEW" skyline in 2016.

Last edited by wino; January 27th, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #1257
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

My photo threads:

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #1258
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

No shortage of cranes in Miami!

QuantumX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #1259
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
No shortage of cranes in Miami!
And I was so afraid nobody would notice!

My photo threads:

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #1260
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Quote:
It is not happening. Just because Santander is building a skyscraper in Miami does not mean they are going to move their HQ. They just want to get a piece of the Miami real estate pie. I don't even think that the idea was ever considered.

Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline